Colo. Voters Give Up $3.7B in Tax Refunds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colo. Voters Give Up $3.7B in Tax Refunds

Colorado voters agreed Tuesday to give up $3.7 billion in taxpayer refunds over the next five years to allow the state to bounce back from a recession, ignoring the arguments of fiscal conservatives who say the government doesn't need more money to spend.

The vote was closely watched around the nation, with California scheduled to decide a government tax-and-spend question next week and several other states considering spending caps.

Supporters said Colorado simply could not afford to vote no, not with higher education, health care and transportation already suffering from millions of dollars in budget cuts. With 76 percent of the expected vote counted statewide, 439,778 voters, or 53 percent, had approved the plan, compared with 391,842, or 47 percent, who voted against it. [/b][/quote]

Now if we could just do this nation wide.
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

QUOTE(madyaks @ Nov 2 2005, 03:35 AM) Quoted post

Colorado voters agreed Tuesday to give up $3.7 billion in taxpayer refunds over the next five years to allow the state to bounce back from a recession, ignoring the arguments of fiscal conservatives who say the government doesn't need more money to spend.

The vote was closely watched around the nation, with California scheduled to decide a government tax-and-spend question next week and several other states considering spending caps.

Supporters said Colorado simply could not afford to vote no, not with higher education, health care and transportation already suffering from millions of dollars in budget cuts. With 76 percent of the expected vote counted statewide, 439,778 voters, or 53 percent, had approved the plan, compared with 391,842, or 47 percent, who voted against it. [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I got a check from the State for $223 earlier this month.

Promptly spent it on booze and hookers.

Edit: Sorry, it's been a late night. It occurred to me that Madyaks is advocating giving back a government refund. A few seconds after that revelation, another one struck me: Madyaks is one dumb human being.

I love you, yaks, but it's true.
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

223 and you got Booze and more than one hooker?
      Shit either I gotta move to Vegas, or you gotta stop with the crack whores.

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Nov 2 2005, 03:41 AM) Quoted post

223 and you got Booze and more than one hooker?
        Shit either I gotta move to Vegas, or you gotta stop with the crack whores.
        [/b][/quote]

When I was in Amsterdam recently, I had some ladies of the evening offer themselves for five euro.

Not that I partook in any of that action.
        The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Nov 2 2005, 02:35 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

When you donate, please donate in my name as well because I'll be damned if I give the government any of my tax refund.

Comment

Furthermore, National Defense and Public Safety should be subject to the same ability to pay restrictions as Health Care.
            Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Nov 2 2005, 07:18 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(madyaks @ Nov 2 2005, 02:35 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

When you donate, please donate in my name as well because I'll be damned if I give the government any of my tax refund.
              [/b][/quote]
              Put my name on there as well. The gubment gets enough from my household too.
              --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
              --Suck it cubbies.
              --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

A wide variety of Coloradans supported initiative C - letting the state keep the money. Leading the fight was conservative Republican Governor Bill Owens, a Bush protoge.

http://www.insidedenver.com/drmn/election/...4205590,00.html
                Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

QUOTE(dredbyrd @ Nov 2 2005, 07:40 AM) Quoted post
                  Furthermore, National Defense and Public Safety should be subject to the same ability to pay restrictions as Health Care. [/b][/quote]
                  Hahahahahahahaha.

Jebus, that is funny. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

You were being funny, right?

Comment

Furthermore, National Defense and Public Safety should be subject to the same ability to pay restrictions as Health Care. [/b][/quote]

++

People don't want the government to take their money to help people for some things like health care, but if it is for star wars it's just fine.

Is there a checkoff for the Iraq war? Let those who wanted it pay for it, they can even sponsor it like the G. Dubya Bush Iraq War, brought to you by Exxon/Mobile.

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Nov 2 2005, 02:34 PM) Quoted post

++

People don't want the government to take their money to help people for some things like health care, but if it is for star wars it's just fine.

Is there a checkoff for the Iraq war? Let those who wanted it pay for it, they can even sponsor it like the G. Dubya Bush Iraq War, brought to you by Exxon/Mobile.

[/b][/quote]

So, I assume that you donated your entire tax refund from last year, right? No, you didn't? Oh, well practice what you preach.

And, if you'd quit using the government as your personal savings account, maybe they'd be able to develop a better budget instead of having to pay people like you back thousands of dollars of money.

Comment

Colorado is a microcosm of the US. And this election was a bellweather.
                        The Dude abides.

Comment

QUOTE(Moe_Szyslak @ Nov 2 2005, 03:08 PM) Quoted post
                          Colorado is a microcosm of the US. And this election was a bellweather. [/b][/quote]

Colorado is a microcosm for what individual state citizens might approve for their own state. It means absolutely nothing when it comes to what the nation as a whole wants.

Fiscal responsibility doesn't progress by giving gubbermint a "get out of debt free" card.

Comment

QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Nov 2 2005, 03:11 PM) Quoted post

Fiscal responsibility doesn't progress by giving gubbermint a "get out of debt free" card.
                            [/b][/quote]

And it especially doesn't progress by distributing tax rebate gimmicks to voters.
                            Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

QUOTE(dredbyrd @ Nov 2 2005, 03:18 PM) Quoted post
                              QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Nov 2 2005, 03:11 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

And it especially doesn't progress by distributing tax rebate gimmicks to voters. [/b][/quote]

And it especially doesn't progress by expecting the federal government to pay for things that the states and citizens should pay for.

Comment

Working...
                              X