Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 100th "Give Me Advice" thread

Is anybody a financial advisor?

I've been working for the same company for 9 years, and have earned a lot of company stock in that time. For most of the year, the price has been around $45 per share, varying between $42 and $58 over the past 12 months.

A bigger company is making a bid for my company at $65 per share.

What should I do? What happens if the bigger company buys my company? Do I end up with their stock?

I know some of you have been through this. I remember when Boeing bought MacDonnell Douglas. That was a similar thing, wasn't it?

It depends on the terms of the buyout. Usually they do some sort of mixed bid (cash and stock) so you may end up with a check and shares of the other company. You may just have all of your current stock converted into shares of the new company.

Are you wanting to sell and reinvest if this happens?

Official Lounge sponsor of Chris Pronger & Alex Pietrangelo

Comment

QUOTE(Prngr44 @ Nov 1 2005, 08:31 AM) Quoted post

It depends on the terms of the buyout. Usually they do some sort of mixed bid (cash and stock) so you may end up with a check and shares of the other company. You may just have all of your current stock converted into shares of the new company.

Are you wanting to sell and reinvest if this happens?
      [/b][/quote]

It's mostly in a 401k, though I think my pension is based on company stock. I can't do anything about the pension, but I can move all of my money out of the company stock into a Dow Jones Index fund, a bond, or an international fund (I have 12 other choices varying in risk).

I guess it's just a matter of timing it right.

Comment

QUOTE(ksbluesfan @ Nov 1 2005, 08:28 AM) Quoted post

I've been working for the same company for 9 years, and have earned a lot of company stock in that time. For most of the year, the price has been around $45 per share, varying between $42 and $58 over the past 12 months.

What should I do? What happens if the bigger company buys my company? Do I end up with their stock?

I know some of you have been through this. I remember when Boeing bought MacDonnell Douglas. That was a similar thing, wasn't it?
        [/b][/quote]

Having gone through that at Boeing I can't remember the exact figures but you usually get the equivalent amount of stock in the new company depending on the negotiated price the new company is paying and what the old company stock is worth. I would suggest holding on until you see what the deal is. Sometimes you get a 2 for 1 deal which is a good deal. Just sit tight and wait and see. You should be alright if they are offering $65 vs what the old stock is selling for.

ps. I'm not a financial planner but I play one on the intranets. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
        RIP Stan the Man
        The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
        I miss TLR!

Comment

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Nov 1 2005, 08:43 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Having gone through that at Boeing I can't remember the exact figures but you usually get the equivalent amount of stock in the new company depending on the negotiated price the new company is paying and what the old company stock is worth. I would suggest holding on until you see what the deal is. Sometimes you get a 2 for 1 deal which is a good deal. Just sit tight and wait and see. You should be alright if they are offering $65 vs what the old stock is selling for.

ps. I'm not a financial planner but I play one on the intranets. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
          [/b][/quote]

A 2 for 1 deal would be sweet. I figured a Boening guy would know.

Comment

QUOTE(ksbluesfan @ Nov 1 2005, 08:47 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Um, I'm not a Boening guy. I'm a Boeing guy. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

No guarantees on the 2 for 1 deal. That's just a possibility there, JHanke. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
            RIP Stan the Man
            I miss TLR!

Comment

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Nov 1 2005, 10:40 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Um, I'm not a Boening guy. I'm a Boeing guy. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

No guarantees on the 2 for 1 deal. That's just a possibility there, JHanke. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
              [/b][/quote]

Turd says you're a Boning guy.

He said he knows from "personal experience", whatever that means.
              The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

QUOTE(lasvegasreb @ Nov 1 2005, 09:44 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

TMac says you're a Boning guy.

[/b][/quote]
                fiXed
                Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I'd rather be the boning guy than the receiver guy. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                  RIP Stan the Man
                  I miss TLR!

Comment

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Nov 1 2005, 10:50 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I'd rather be the boning guy than the receiver guy. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                    [/b][/quote]

Oh, now, that's got to be jhuegy's thought for the day.
                    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Blue Oyster loves Anacot Steel.
                      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(lasvegasreb @ Nov 1 2005, 09:51 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Nov 1 2005, 10:50 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Oh, now, that's got to be jhuegy's thought for the day.
                        [/b][/quote]

Stop hijacking KS's thread. I'm going to bed. Good night everyone. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
                        RIP Stan the Man
                        I miss TLR!

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Nov 1 2005, 09:51 AM) Quoted post

Blue Oyster loves Anacot Steel.
                          [/b][/quote]
                          [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

I wonder what the ratio is for threads going to hell. One misspelling sent this one off.

BTW, I think I misspelled McDonnell-Douglas too.

Comment

QUOTE(ksbluesfan @ Nov 1 2005, 09:53 AM) Quoted post

I wonder what the ratio is for threads going to hell. One misspelling sent this one off.

BTW, I think I misspelled McDonnell-Douglas R.I.P. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img] too.
                              [/b][/quote]

fixed.

You got it right in this one JHanke. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
                              RIP Stan the Man
                              I miss TLR!

Comment

Working...
                              X