Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony DRM CD installs rootkit on Windows

LINK

Unbelieveable, if it is indeed true and not an elaborate hoax (and judging from the rep of the guy, I don't doubt his story)...

What do you think??? No mention of this in the EULA, installed specifically to not to be detectable/deleteable, and makes it easier for other applications to compromise your system...and enables God-only-knows what else in the future without your knowing...

An incredibly stupid move on Sony's part...unless, of course, we all just sit back and do nothing about it...
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

That's some screwed up shit.

I wonder how you can check your computer for rootkits?
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Oct 31 2005, 07:41 PM) Quoted post

That's some screwed up shit.

I wonder how you can check your computer for rootkits?
      [/b][/quote]

Assuming we are refering to Windows boxes...

Ask and ye shall receive.

Blacklight Rootkit checker

and

RootKit Revealer

On an overall note, why is anyone surprised by Sony doing this? Didn't they do something exceedinly similar with the Beastie Boys CD (Sounds of Silence I think) a couple of years ago that FUBAR'd a bunch of computers?

Things like this just make me record their precious little songs and distribute them to anonymous servers anyway. Just for spite. Do not fuck with what is mine.
      "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
      "I didn't know you
      had any feelings"

Comment

One more way "The Man" is trying to bring you down.

Seriously. That's some underhanded, dirty pool stuff. Thanks for the link.

Comment

The funny thing is that they could sue you for removing it under current law.

Comment

What is a rootkit? The term rootkit is very old and is dated back to the days when UNIX ruled the world. Rootkits for the UNIX operating system were typically used to elevate the privileges of a user to the root level (=administrator). This explains the name of this category of tools.

Rootkits for Windows work in a different way and are typically used to hide malicious software from for example an antivirus scanner. Rootkits are typically not malicious by themselves but are used for malicious purposes by viruses, worms, backdoors and spyware. A virus combined with a rootkit produces what was known as full stealth viruses in the MS-DOS environment.

Official Lounge sponsor of Chris Pronger & Alex Pietrangelo

Comment

This kind of shit really pisses me off.
              Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

I am actually checking my computer right now for this...I only have a few RIAA-label CDs that I've played in the CDROM of my laptop, but I want to be sure I haven't fucked myself...

If there is anything on here from one of my CDs, I'm cutting the thing up and mailing it along with a pile of my own feces to the fuckers that put it on there...
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Why don't you guys just start listening to good music instead of this popculture crap that is protected [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

bumb
                    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Working...
                    X