X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Epstein, Sawx reach 3-year accord

Epstein agrees to contract as GM of Red Sox
    ESPN.com news services

With the deadline for his contract looming, Theo Epstein and the Red Sox agreed to a three-year extension, the Boston Globe reported.

Epstein, 31, is believed to have agreed to a deal worth close to the compensation he was seeking, multiple league sources told the paper.

The contract is expected to be announced early this week, though no news conference was scheduled as of Sunday night, the Globe said. Epstein's current contract was to expire at midnight Monday.

Epstein reportedly rejected a three-year deal worth $1.2 million annually, triple his previous salary. The youngest general manager to build a World Series-winner, he was reported to be seeking something closer to the $2.5 million a year the Red Sox offered Oakland Athletics GM Billy Beane before Epstein was hired.

Epstein became the youngest general manager in baseball history when the Red Sox hired him five weeks shy of his 29th birthday in 2002. He signed a three-year contract that paid him about $350,000 a year.

During Epstein's tenure, the Red Sox reached the postseason in three straight years for the first time, and in 2004 they won their first World Series title since 1918. In 2003, they lost in the seventh game of the AL Championship Series to the New York Yankees. This year, they were swept by the Chicago White Sox in three games in the AL division series.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report. [/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

One of the local news stations is reporting that Theo has resigned and is cleaning out his office.
    Official Lounge Sponsor:
    Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
    The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
    Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

QUOTE(Lippa @ Oct 31 2005, 04:19 PM) Quoted post

One of the local news stations is reporting that Theo has resigned and is cleaning out his office.
      [/b][/quote]

Really.

CSD, your move...

Comment

One of the local news stations is reporting that Theo has resigned and is cleaning out his office. [/b][/quote]

I would too if I was a GM for a team with Whaanny Ramirez on it.

Comment

So, this sucks kind of hard.
          Official Lounge Sponsor:

Comment

QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Oct 31 2005, 06:22 PM) Quoted post

One of the local news stations is reporting that Theo has resigned and is cleaning out his office. [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Supposedly some of the friction comes from Theo wanting to keep Manny while Larry Lucchino wants him traded.
            Official Lounge Sponsor:

Comment

QUOTE(Lippa @ Oct 31 2005, 04:23 PM) Quoted post
              So, this sucks kind of hard. [/b][/quote]

Don't worry, DePodesta is available.

Comment

So, this sucks kind of hard.
                [/b][/quote]

did he sign or resign?

Comment

[/b][/quote]

Supposedly some of the friction comes from Theo wanting to keep Manny while Larry Lucchino wants him traded. [/b][/quote]

Interesting. Who (presumably) works for who? No wonder Theo is dropping his copy of Moneyball into a cardboard box.

Comment

QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Oct 31 2005, 06:25 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Supposedly some of the friction comes from Theo wanting to keep Manny while Larry Lucchino wants him traded. [/b][/quote]

Interesting. Who (presumably) works for who? No wonder Theo is dropping his copy of Moneyball into a cardboard box.
                    [/b][/quote]

Lucchino is the CEO. The problem, besides him being a loudmouth who seems to love starting controversy, is that Lucchino likes to be involved in baseball decisions even though he doesn't have a baseball background. He's been around the game, but never in any type of player personel capacity.
                    Official Lounge Sponsor:

Comment

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view...rticleid=109723

Boston Herald reporting 11 minutes ago that he resigned.

The site's getting absolutely crushed now..

EPSTEIN GONE..

Theo Epstein stunned the Red Sox and the baseball world this afternoon by walking away from his job as general manager.
                      Just hours before his deal was set to expire at midnight, Epstein told his bosses and associates at the Red Sox’ Yawkey Way offices that he had decided not to accept a three-year deal worth $1.5 million a year, an extension for the contract he signed on Nov. 25, 2002.
                      Epstein had done some agonizing soul-searching the past few days, torn between staying at the job he had always coveted since his childhood days in Brookline and leaving because of intra-organizational politics and power struggles that he ultimately decided he could not live with any longer.

Money and length of the contract were not issues in the past few days for Epstein, who had lobbied hard for an annual salary of more than $1 million a year.
                      Epstein had come close to agreeing to a deal Saturday evening but had not officially conveyed acceptance of it. On Sunday, he began having serious misgivings about staying on. A leading contributing factor, according to sources close to the situation, was a column in Sunday’s Boston Globe in which too much inside information about the relationship between Epstein and his mentor, team president and CEO Larry Lucchino, was revealed -- in a manner slanted too much in Lucchino’s favor. Epstein, according to these sources, had several reasons to believe Lucchino was a primary source behind the column and came to the realization that if this information were leaked hours before Epstein was going to agree to a new long-term deal, it signaled excessive bad faith between he and Lucchino.
                      Epstein had not made up his mind about accepting the job before going to bed Sunday night, this despite a report in the Boston Globe, citing multiple major-league sources, that Epstein and the Red Sox had agreed to a contract extension.

A next step for Epstein, 31, remains unknown, although he has told associates that he may leave baseball and look for another line of work. The Dodgers, Phillies and Devil Rays currently have GM vacancies but it is believed that Epstein is likely to take a year off from baseball before considering a return.
                      Besides dealing with the likely public relations fallout from Epstein’s departure, the Red Sox will also have to replace him as well.
                      Veteran general managers Pat Gillick and Gerry Hunsicker have been interviewing for some of the current openings and will likely be at least considered for this one. Current San Diego general manager Kevin Towers recently interviewed for the vacant Arizona Diamondbacks GM vacancy, which has since been filled by Epstein’s former assistant, Josh Byrnes, late last week. Towers worked for Lucchino and with Epstein in San Diego before Lucchino became part of the ownership group of the Red Sox.
                      San Francisco general manager Brian Sabean, a graduate of Concord (N.H.) High School, has also been mentioned as a possibility.
                      Internally, the Red Sox will likely take a look at some of Epstein’s top assistants, including Peter Woodfork, director of baseball operations; Jed Hoyer, assistant to the GM; and Ben Cherington, director of player development.
                      Epstein was a leading force in assembling the Red Sox 2004 World Series championship squad. Two of his most notable acquisitions in his tenure was the trade for Curt Schilling three Novembers ago and the free agent signing of David Ortiz in 2003. He traded shortstop Nomar Garciaparra for Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewicz in the midst of the 2004 season, plus he also signed free agent closer Keith Foulke before the championship season.
                      A year ago, Epstein was at the helm when the club could not come to terms with free agent Pedro Martinez and would not re-sign pitcher Derek Lowe. Instead, the club signed free agent starters David Wells and Matt Clement.
                      Some deals backfired for Epstein, including Ramiro Mendoza and Jeremy Giambi, but on the whole his winning percentage was rated quite highly around the game

When he was hired on Nov. 25, 2002, Epstein was the youngest GM in history at 28 years, 11 months. Epstein is a graduate of Brookline High School, Yale University and the University of San Diego Law School.
                      The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

I fucking hate larry Lucchino, that fucking piece of dogshit. He had to be the fucking hero. I hope and pray that this makes John Henry realize that Lucchino is a drag on the organization and fires him.
                        Official Lounge Sponsor:

Comment

Is it time for another curse?

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 31 2005, 06:37 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I swear that's the first thing I thought.
                            Official Lounge Sponsor:

Comment

QUOTE(Lippa @ Oct 31 2005, 04:38 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 31 2005, 06:37 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I swear that's the first thing I thought.
                              [/b][/quote]
                              [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X