SI on Pinkel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SI on Pinkel

SI college football writer-reporter Mark Beech's take on the weekend: One of Saturday's most surprising results came from outside the top 25: Kansas upsetting Missouri 13-3. The Tigers (5-3) came into the matchup riding a three-game winning streak that included victories over Iowa State and Nebraska in the last two weeks. A win on Saturday in Lawrence would have tied Missouri with Colorado atop the Big 12 North, but for the third straight year Mizzou fell to the Jayhawks (4-4). Tigers quarterback Brad Smith rolled up 480 total yards against the Cornhuskers a week ago, but a stout Kansas defense, which ranks second against the rush in Division I-A, held him to 179, including 38 on the ground. Missouri coach Gary Pinkel, in his fifth year, has produced little but expectations, despite having a perennial Heisman-Trophy candidate in Smi! th. One Kansas assistant marveled at how unprepared the Tigers looked on Saturday, saying, "They were so conservative. They did nothing." Missouri lost earlier this year to lowly New Mexico, and it's hard to imagine the powers-that-be will stick with Pinkel after the season, even if he guides the Tigers to a bowl game. [/b][/quote]
    His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
    Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

it's hard to imagine the powers-that-be will stick with Pinkel after the season, even if he guides the Tigers to a bowl game.

Um, wrong.
    Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Oct 31 2005, 07:43 AM) Quoted post

it's hard to imagine the powers-that-be will stick with Pinkel after the season, even if he guides the Tigers to a bowl game.

Um, wrong.
      [/b][/quote]

That was my feeling about that line, too.

He'll be in Columbia next year -- but that may be the end.

Comment

QUOTE(moedrabowsky @ Oct 31 2005, 08:45 AM) Quoted post

Um, wrong.
        [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Correct. He will get 1 year with Chase at the helm.

And like the dude said, he might still make a bowl - Mizzou isn't in a position to fire coaches that get them to bowl games.
        Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Oct 31 2005, 07:51 AM) Quoted post

Um, wrong.
          [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

And like the dude said, he might still make a bowl - Mizzou isn't in a position to fire coaches that get them to bowl games.
          [/b][/quote]

Excellent point. We're not Nebraska or anything (how bad does the Solich firing look now?).

Comment

QUOTE(moedrabowsky @ Oct 31 2005, 07:55 AM) Quoted post

Um, wrong.
            [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Excellent point. We're not Nebraska or anything (how bad does the Solich firing look now?).
            [/b][/quote]

I'm not an expert on Mizzou football but if memory serves me, Warren Powers was a very succesful coach and was fired for repeatedly losing to KU. This smells the same way. Pinkel just can't get a team prepared to beat a very inferior KU team year after year. He also lost to New Mexico this year and always seems to lose to the Northern Iowa's on the schedule.
            RIP Stan the Man
            The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
            I miss TLR!

Comment

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Oct 31 2005, 08:41 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(moedrabowsky @ Oct 31 2005, 07:55 AM) Quoted post

Um, wrong.
              [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I'm not an expert on Mizzou football but if memory serves me, Warren Powers was a very succesful coach and was fired for repeatedly losing to KU. This smells the same way. Pinkel just can't get a team prepared to beat a very inferior KU team year after year. He also lost to New Mexico this year and always seems to lose to the Northern Iowa's on the schedule.
              [/b][/quote]

Powers was fired after going 4-7 in his final season. Losing to KU was certainly a factor though.

I can't see Pinkel getting them in a bowl and getting fired.

Mizzou has been to how bowl games in the last 25 years?

He gets at least one more year.

I have already said in the Bandwagon thread that Pinkel better start beating KU if he wants a longer term future though.
              Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

It makes you wonder how wrong national writers are at times when you don't know the situation.

I agree Pinkel isn't gone after this year. But as always, my question is "can we do better?"
                "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

Pinkel needs a new OC.

I really thought Christensen had raised his game after the first seven. I think we were averaging about 35 pts and 400 yds a game. Shredded what was thought to be a strong NU defense the week before.

To fail to get a touchdown a half - all it would have taken - against KU is inexcusable. They're good, but they're not the freaking '85 Bears. No adjustments. No creativity in using our many weapons. Pathetic.

Ruined my weekend.
                  The Dude abides.

Comment

QUOTE(Moe_Szyslak @ Oct 31 2005, 09:22 AM) Quoted post

Pinkel needs a new OC.

I really thought Christensen had raised his game after the first seven. I think we were averaging about 35 pts and 400 yds a game. Shredded what was thought to be a strong NU defense the week before.

To fail to get a touchdown a half - all it would have taken - against KU is inexcusable. They're good, but they're not the freaking '85 Bears. No adjustments. No creativity in using our many weapons. Pathetic.

Ruined my weekend.
                    [/b][/quote]

Honestly, the KU defense is pretty good. Still, I thought you folks would win.
                    On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

QUOTE(chiguy @ Oct 31 2005, 11:36 AM) Quoted post

Pinkel needs a new OC.

Ruined my weekend.
                      [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Sure they're good, but it would've taken only 14 points to win the game. I would have bet a ton we'd have mustered a touchdown a half.
                      The Dude abides.

Comment

QUOTE(Moe_Szyslak @ Oct 31 2005, 10:52 AM) Quoted post

Pinkel needs a new OC.

Ruined my weekend.
                        [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Sure they're good, but it would've taken only 14 points to win the game. I would have bet a ton we'd have mustered a touchdown a half.
                        [/b][/quote]

I'm ashamed to admit that this makes me laugh.
                        On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

QUOTE(chiguy @ Oct 31 2005, 11:53 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Moe_Szyslak @ Oct 31 2005, 10:52 AM) Quoted post

Pinkel needs a new OC.

Ruined my weekend.
                          [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I'm ashamed to admit that this makes me laugh.
                          [/b][/quote]

Makes me cry. Massive gag.

On to Boulder...
                          The Dude abides.

Comment

I didn't see Pinkel blaming himself for the loss like he usually does...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 31 2005, 12:22 PM) Quoted post

I didn't see Pinkel blaming himself for the loss like he usually does...
                              [/b][/quote]

New nickname: Scrap Iron.

Comment

Working...
                              X