Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams-Jags Postmortem

The Good

-I think Burwell is nuts for saying Vitt ought to be handed the HC job, but you have to appreciate the toughness and guts he's been able to instill in the team in less than a month's time. Kudos to Coach Vitt.

-Stephen Jackson. Holy hell. I always thought he'd get better if we handed the ball to him more than 20 times a game, but his second half running was ridiculous. Ridiculous I say. The 4th quarter blast was the kind of "kill off their final hopes" play that we haven't seen from the Rams nearly enough. Think this kid likes playing for Vitt more than Martz?

-Offensive line. OK, Barron had a nightmare sequence there, but other than that these guys played very well. The run blocking was spectacular and I was particularly impressed by how well they got down field for some blocks today. Think these guys like playing for Vitt more than Martz? Check out Timmerman's post-game quotes.

-Ryan Pickett. This kid has got to be a candidate for most improved player on the team. We still get killed by the run, but it doesn't seem to be because our DTs our constantly missing tackles. Pickett has shored up that part of his game and consistently makes plays. His play on Leftwhich in the second half was spectacular.

-Corey Ivy. OK, he got shredded pretty good from time to time. That said, he makes a lot of plays too. I love his aggressiveness and hitting ability.

-Kevin Curtis. Is Ike our third receiver next year? Probably not, but its going to get very hard to keep Curtis off the field. I'll be amazed if we can keep him on the team when his contract is up. Easily one of the best draft picks made in the Martz era.

-Special Teams. I guess we can all conclude that Mad Mike did make ST a priority and that Ligasheshky is a decednt coach. They've been making plays on a weekly basis and we wouldn't be 4-4 without them. Its still not a strength of the team, but its nice to see the ST unit contributing.

-I take back every bad thing I've ever said about Mike Furrey. Until he starts playing like a WR at the S position again anyway.

The Bad

-For the love of god, someone tell Alex Barron to stand still. I thought he got screwed on that third penalty and he was facing a quality DE, but yikes. We're lucky we got that FG.

-Run defense. Some of the bad run numbers probably come from our new "blitz 'em every down!" attitude. I can live with that because we weren't really doing anything before to help out our mediocre secondary.

-We overpaid to keep Brandon Manumaleuna.

-We are lucky that Leftwich is a mediocre QB because those receivers were running wild in our secondary all day. The LB and S positions made another coverage mistake for a TD yesterday too. These guys have got to get disciplined.

-I'm underwhelmed by Shaun Macdonald. I'd rather see Dane Looker get his touches.

-Jamie Martin. On the bright side, only five of his passes weren't caught. On the not so bright side, three of those catchers weren't made by Rams receivers. I'm not one of those people who irrationally want to throw an unprepared rookie out there, but fortunately we don't need to make that choice after this week. I will say this -- those who think Martin is awful should rewind one year and remember the Chris Chandler era.

The Ugly

-The Rams have pretty good luck this year. Two missed FG is an awfully close margin by which to win a game.

-Turnovers. At least we're starting to take the ball away as much as we cough it up. Hopefully, Vitt will instill the mental toughness these guys need to stop giving the other team so many chances.

-Penalties. This is like a bad date -- they keep coming back and no matter how much you don't want to see them, you just can't help but sleep with them one more time. Good god we have got to cut this out.

-When it wasn't working, the Rams blitz was pretty ugly.
    On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Jacksonville - made costly turnovers at the beginning and in the third quarter.

Also for some unknown reason they didn't run the ball every time.
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Did you see the soft hands on Barron? Stepped in front of Faulk and broke for daylight. Cut Manusamoan and convert that man to tight end!

Moon

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Oct 31 2005, 08:55 AM) Quoted post

Did you see the soft hands on Barron? Stepped in front of Faulk and broke for daylight. Cut Manusamoan and convert that man to tight end!

Moon
        [/b][/quote]

That play was hilarious. Reminded me of the time when Manny Ramirez made a diving cut-off of Johnny Damon's throw from center field, which was clearly intended to go to the infield.

Comment

Did anyone notice who was down at the 5 yd. line along with Jackson as he was tackled after his 51 yd. run at the end of the game?

Alex Barron.

Nice.
          Official sponsor of indifference towards basketball...hockey has grown on me.
          Official sponsor of Buster Posey...'nuff said.
          Official sponsor of James Laurinaitis
          "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live - too rare to die."

Comment

QUOTE(younghutch @ Oct 31 2005, 11:04 AM) Quoted post

Did anyone notice who was down at the 5 yd. line along with Jackson as he was tackled after his 51 yd. run at the end of the game?

Alex Barron.

Nice.
            [/b][/quote]

He was ready for Jackson to lateral it to him so he could go in for the score.

Moon

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Oct 31 2005, 11:07 AM) Quoted post

Alex Barron.

Nice.
              [/b][/quote]

Moon
              [/b][/quote]

That's just heads up play.

In all seriousness, I've been pleased with AB this year.
              On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Oct 31 2005, 09:07 AM) Quoted post

Alex Barron.

Nice.
                [/b][/quote]

Moon
                [/b][/quote]

I'm not talking to you. I have that fucking Heartlight song in my head.

Bastard. You are evil & must be destroyed.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
                Official sponsor of indifference towards basketball...hockey has grown on me.
                Official sponsor of Buster Posey...'nuff said.
                Official sponsor of James Laurinaitis
                "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live - too rare to die."

Comment

QUOTE(younghutch @ Oct 31 2005, 11:36 AM) Quoted post

Alex Barron.

Nice.
                  [/b][/quote]

Moon
                  [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Never underestimate the power of Neil Diamond and Burt Bacharach.

Moon

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Oct 31 2005, 12:42 PM) Quoted post
                    QUOTE(younghutch @ Oct 31 2005, 11:36 AM) Quoted post

Alex Barron.

Nice.
                    [/b][/quote]

Moon
                    [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Never underestimate the power of Neil Diamond and Burt Bacharach.

Moon [/b][/quote]

That's not power - that's pure evil.
                    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

JAX going for the endzone on that 4th and 1 play was particularly stupid considering how they had been shoving the running game right down the Rams throats up to that point.

That was a gift from a stupid coach.
                      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

If I remember correctly, Ivy used to play for Tampa Bay.

Comment

I think if the Martz is truly out...Ike and Marshall could be gone to clear cap room for some guys on defense.

You forgot the blocked punt and return from the Good. The special teams are better than last season. For sure.

We need some guys who can cover and another pass rusher. They have got to get some help at CB and S in the off season though I do like it that Furrey is making some plays.

Barron had a rough day but he's gonna be a player. I don't really worry about RT anymore.
                          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(chiguy @ Oct 31 2005, 06:22 AM) Quoted post

The Good

-I think Burwell is nuts for saying Vitt ought to be handed the HC job, but you have to appreciate the toughness and guts he's been able to instill in the team in less than a month's time. Kudos to Coach Vitt.

[/b][/quote]

If we keep winning he deserves it. He will have been handed nothing at that point.

Maybe the best thing is a guy like this who can fire up the troops at HC. Then the GM can go out and get him the players he needs.

Going out and hitting a 'grand slam' with some 'I want all the control' type of guy is not necessarily the best thing. In fact it is rare when it is a good thing.

I was sold on Vitt after the first press conference I saw. I hope they keep winning and he keeps the job.

Comment

QUOTE(TTB @ Oct 31 2005, 12:53 PM) Quoted post

I think if the Martz is truly out...Ike and Marshall could be gone to clear cap room for some guys on defense.

You forgot the blocked punt and return from the Good. The special teams are better than last season. For sure.

We need some guys who can cover and another pass rusher. They have got to get some help at CB and S in the off season though I do like it that Furrey is making some plays.

Barron had a rough day but he's gonna be a player. I don't really worry about RT anymore.
                              [/b][/quote]

I mentioned ST under "The Good." Putting that MU degree to use?

Comment

Working...
                              X