"Here's Hoping Vitt Loses The "Interim" Label

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Here's Hoping Vitt Loses The "Interim" Label

Joe Vitt walks off the practice field every afternoon at Rams Park with the slow, cautious pace of a reluctant man heading to the dentist's chair. All day long, he is immersed in the X's and O's details of a head coach. There are meetings and film sessions. There are more meetings and plenty of practice.

This is the stuff the interim boss positively loves. He's an old-school coaching lifer, not some public relations-savvy smooth talker. So that's why the Rams' provisional head coach doesn't particularly look forward to these daily chatfests with the local media. It's a necessary evil, not an eager adventure. Yet the more Vitt meets the press, the better he gets at it, confronting each question with the blunt force of an old linebacker ramming into a pile of bodies.

I love this guy. I don't know much about his X's and O's yet, but I love him. There's been a lot of talk about coaches over the past few days in this miniseries called "As Rams Park Turns." We've heard about Mike Martz, who is on sick leave, but hardly on inactive duty as he digs his heels into the political trenches to save his job. We've heard a lot about "coach" Jay Zygmunt, the wheeling, dealing director of football operations, who fancies himself as a gridiron mover and shaker, clumsily attempting to hasten Martz's exit, while plotting the ascension of any number of folks on his coaching wish list.

We've heard about Notre Dame's Charley Weis. We've heard about Chargers assistant Cam Cameron, and Miami assistant Scott Lenihan. We've heard about Greg Williams and Russ Grimm and Donnie Henderson and even Rams offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild, the guy whose shoulder Ziggy loves looking over during games.

What I can't understand is why no one is even thinking about Joe Vitt.

Wouldn't it be something if this no-nonsense, anti-political animal ends up as the last man standing in this bitter political game of survival of the fittest at Rams Park? Wouldn't it be something if the guy no one in the executive suites in Earth City has even feigned interest in, ends up rudely injecting himself into this unsettling coaching derby?

The only way this happens is if Joe Vitt can win ballgames.

Imagine the predicament that would ensue if the Rams decided to rally around Vitt and finished off this season on a winning note. Imagine how difficult it would be for them to ignore Vitt if he not only got the Rams to win, but did it with a mood-altering style that relied on a run-oriented, smash-mouth offense and a suddenly aggressive, attacking defense?

So I'm rooting for Joe Vitt because apparently no one else is. Vitt is doing everything he can to make this crazy, mixed-up world seem normal for his players, even though it is a near-impossible mission.

We already know what is on the minds of John Shaw and Zygmunt. Shaw's pipe dream is that he'll be able to patch things up between Martz and Ziggy, but knows it will never happen. So he's already compiled his own shopping list, and has probably compared his list with Zygmunt's. Practically everyone is on this list. Everyone, that is, except Vitt.

Meanwhile Zygmunt's overt courtship of various NFL coordinators continues with all the subtly of a heavy metal concert. Do we know anyone Ziggy hasn't lusted after? Last week, he searched the Internet for a newspaper report out of South Bend that talked about a $1.5 million escape clause in Notre Dame head coach Charley Weis' contract that allowed him to leave the school for an NFL head coaching job.

So it must have broken his heart with news out of South Bend on Saturday that Weis was taken out of play after receiving a 10-year contract extension that will keep him at Notre Dame for a very long time. Good for Weis. Even better for Joe Vitt. I don't know if he can turn this thing around. Heck, I'm not sure Vince Lombardi could steady this turbulent mess right now. But if he does, Vitt deserves to be stuck right at the top of that not-so-private wish list.
    [/b][/quote]

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/co...F4?OpenDocument

Good story by Burwell.

I already like that Vitt wants to "RUN" a more balanced offense.

I like a straight shooter like Vitt...I'd love to see him win enough games to make throwing him out the Martz a tough call for the dip shits who masquerade as the Rams leadership

I've been critical of Martz but Shaw and Zygmunt should be fired too...throw them all out

Keep Vitt...for some kind of job even if the new coach wants his own guys...which he could not be blamed for

This organization can use as many hard working no nonsense guys as it can get
    Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

I think if he was formally installed as THE Head Coach, he would loosen up a bit, and eventually become more comfortable around the media, but not less intense.

I can see a few Herm Edwards moments out of Vitt.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Oct 30 2005, 09:16 AM) Quoted post

I think if he was formally installed as THE Head Coach, he would loosen up a bit, and eventually become more comfortable around the media, but not less intense.

I can see a few Herm Edwards moments out of Vitt.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
        [/b][/quote]

No doubt.

Gotta love Herm Edwards too...from brain to mouth with no filter

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
        Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(TTB @ Oct 30 2005, 10:18 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Oct 30 2005, 09:16 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

No doubt.

Gotta love Herm Edwards too...from brain to mouth with no filter

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
          [/b][/quote]

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=herman+edwards/v=2/SID=w/TID=I060_75/l=IVI/SIG=12ihon4uf/EXP=1130772470/*-http%3A//cma2.msgnetwork.com/mediaStore/e/edwardshp_011705jm.jpg[/img]

"YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!" [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I like what I see so far too, but the premise of Burwell's column--"I support Vitt because nobody else does"--is stupid. It's far to early to tell if he has what it takes.

Admittedly though his candor with the media is a refreshing change after suffering through Martz with shoot we'll fix that and Kurt just needs to be Kurt. JJ.

Comment

Working...
            X