Thoughts so far on the Brewer-Pronger trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts so far on the Brewer-Pronger trade

I don't get to see that many Blues games, but the one I did see in person against the Predators and also the box scores lead me to believe that Eric Brewer has done pretty well for himself with the Note. Clearly, the team is not winning games but it seems to me that he has delivered a lot more than what I expected from him. Also, comparing his production to that of Pronger, it is obvious that Pronger hasn't delivered for the Oilers (and they are stuck in a 7 game losing streak). Brewer's +/- rating is reflective of the team's poor play and Lalime's overall suckiness in goal, but at least he's putting some pucks in the goal.

Anyway, I was just wondering what the overall consensus so far is on him.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Erik Johnson

QUOTE(gosha83 @ Oct 29 2005, 05:21 PM) Quoted post

I don't get to see that many Blues games, but the one I did see in person against the Predators and also the box scores lead me to believe that Eric Brewer has done pretty well for himself with the Note. Clearly, the team is not winning games but it seems to me that he has delivered a lot more than what I expected from him. Also, comparing his production to that of Pronger, it is obvious that Pronger hasn't delivered for the Oilers (and they are stuck in a 7 game losing streak). Brewer's +/- rating is reflective of the team's poor play and Lalime's overall suckiness in goal, but at least he's putting some pucks in the goal.

[/b][/quote]

I dunno. I wonder if the Blues would be blow so many leads if we still had Pronger. I don't think you can completely left Brewer off the hook for the -5, or -7, or whatever.

Bottom line is would the Blues be doing better with Pronger? Probably. But that's no surprise.
    "At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed."
    – Frederick Douglass, doing an amazing job since 1852

Comment

Getting Brewer was a nice move, considering they didn't let Pronger walk for nothing...I wish those other two don't turn out to be stiffs like I think they're going to be...

And plus/minus is a horrific stat to compare players with, but that's just me...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

It really sucks to trade the best passing defenseman in hockey during the year the red line gets eliminated.

But, such is the legacy of the Dead Weight and Tkachoke contracts.
        And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

QUOTE(YYZ @ Oct 29 2005, 05:28 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(gosha83 @ Oct 29 2005, 05:21 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I dunno. I wonder if the Blues would be blow so many leads if we still had Pronger. I don't think you can completely left Brewer off the hook for the -5, or -7, or whatever.

Bottom line is would the Blues be doing better with Pronger? Probably. But that's no surprise.
          [/b][/quote]

Pronger had to adjust to taking the place of Shanny, and eventually excelled. Let's give Brewer a chance.

Comment

QUOTE(Damtoft @ Oct 29 2005, 09:07 PM) Quoted post
            It really sucks to trade the best passing defenseman in hockey during the year the red line gets eliminated.

But, such is the legacy of the Dead Weight and Tkachoke contracts. [/b][/quote]
            What about his wrist?

What happens if that craps out?

Is Pronger really worth the $9M big-bucks if there is nobody around to finish those tape-to-tape outlet passes for him?

For that matter, is Weight?

The answer is obviously no. It's not worth it. And both of those guys needed to be traded, and one was. The other one will be, and hopefully for something more than a few PTNBLs and some garbage just to dump salary.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

>>hopefully for something more than a few PTNBLs and some garbage just to dump salary<<

You are likely describing the deal right here.
              And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

QUOTE(Damtoft @ Oct 29 2005, 09:45 PM) Quoted post
                >>hopefully for something more than a few PTNBLs and some garbage just to dump salary<<

You are likely describing the deal right here. [/b][/quote]
                Pronger's deal was twofold:
                1. Addition by subtraction (of salary - not player status or skill)
                2. Swapping high-priced talent for highly touted prospects and a World Cup calibur player
                I think the deal was great -- not because we gave up a player who would (eventually) thrive in the new NHL, but because the Blues sold when the value was the highest. It remains to be seen what the two 'prospects' will grab for Pronger, but the Blues are off the hook for quite a few million and will probably end up in the same genreal area (points-wise) as they would with Pronger.

I'm typically very down on Larry Pleau and his team management style, but trading Pronger was one of the best things he could have done. I only wish he could have traded him for a legit scoring threat to compliment Weight... but that's another discussion (on how inept Larry Pleau is at the GM position).

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Working...
                X