Some Info On The Price of Oil and Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Info On The Price of Oil and Gas

I have an uncle who owns a plethora of gas stations throughout St. Louis and as far west as Columbia. He also owns his own oil company. If you've ever been to a Phillip's, Conoco, or Citgo with a Petromart, you've been to one of his stations.

Anyway, my cousin got married this weekend and my uncle was at the wedding. The conversation turned to the price of oil and gas. He says he's highly perturbed at the cost of oil. He says there's no way it should be as expensive as it is right now.

It cuts into his other sales because the high prices are causing people to conserve more fuel, and thus make fewer stops for gas. Meaning his Petromarts sell fewer beverages, candy bars, etc.

Anyway, he also says we'll never see $40/bbl oil again. BUT, he also says gas should be down to about $2.15 by next Thursday.

Oh, and he's got a pretty good source for his info about the oil. He just returned from a hunting trip to Argentina with Sheikh Ahmad Fahad Al Sabah. Yes, that's correct. The president of OPEC.
    " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Name dropper. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img]
    RIP Stan the Man
    The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
    I miss TLR!

Comment

It's already "down" to $2.12 in KC.
      And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Oct 29 2005, 02:46 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I'm teh coolest... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

Actually, I'm jealous, more than anything. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] He's (not surprisingly) freakin' loaded. And I had no idea his operation was big enough, and that he had the connections to warrant a hunting trip of that magnitude.
        " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

QUOTE(_STLfan_in_DFW @ Oct 29 2005, 02:49 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Actually, I'm jealous, more than anything. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] He's (not surprisingly) freakin' loaded. And I had no idea his operation was big enough, and that he had the connections to warrant a hunting trip of that magnitude.
          [/b][/quote]

How "old" is this uncle, my great, great buddy, down in DFW? We do have a lot in common my good friend. We're both in the airplane business. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
          RIP Stan the Man
          I miss TLR!

Comment

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Tell me something, do you get a "free gas card" or does this uncle make you suffer?
            Friend of mine's parents own a bunch of wells and such in Texas, Oklahoma, etc. and they gave their kids and relatives those things.
            (Back in the day, you can guess who paid for gas)
            "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
            "I didn't know you
            had any feelings"

Comment

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Oct 29 2005, 02:53 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

How "old" is this uncle, my great, great buddy, down in DFW? We do have a lot in common my good friend. We're both in the airplane business. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
              [/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm actually not sure. Early 60's, I think? He worked at a gas station when he was younger as a part-time job, and ended up buying it. That was probably in the early-to-mid Sixties. He made a little money and bought another. And another, and another. And somewhere along the way formed his own oil company.

He's definitely worked his ass off to get where he's at now. Great guy, and not pompous or arrogant.

Comment

QUOTE(SunuvaNun @ Oct 29 2005, 02:57 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Tell me something, do you get a "free gas card" or does this uncle make you suffer?
                Friend of mine's parents own a bunch of wells and such in Texas, Oklahoma, etc. and they gave their kids and relatives those things.
                (Back in the day, you can guess who paid for gas)
                [/b][/quote]

I wish. I always hoped at some point maybe he'd give a "family discount". No dice, though.

Comment

Oh, and he's got a pretty good source for his info about the oil. He just returned from a hunting trip to Argentina with Sheikh Ahmad Fahad Al Sabah. Yes, that's correct. The president of OPEC.

He ever give you advice on how to treat women? Might have picked up a few tricks from the Sheikh.
                  v

Comment

right now down here in South Florida, I'd pay $10 a gallon for the shit if I didn't have to wait in line for 4-6 hours to get it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Gas Taxes Exceed Oil Companies' Profits
                      With BP, Exxon-Mobil, and Shell reporting record profits, the Tax Foundation reminds us in its latest Fiscal Fact that the biggest beneficiaries of gasoline sales are federal and state governments, not the oil industry:

High gas prices and strong oil company earnings have generated a rash of new tax proposals in recent months. Some lawmakers have called for new “windfall profits” taxes—similar to the one signed into federal law in 1980 by President Jimmy Carter—that would tax the profits of major oil companies at a rate of 50%. Meanwhile, many commentators have voiced support for the idea of increasing gas taxes to keep the price of gasoline at post-Katrina highs, thereby reducing gas consumption. However, often ignored in this debate is the fact that oil industry profits are highly cyclical, making them just as prone to “busts” as to “booms.” Additionally, tax collections on the production and import of gasoline by state and federal governments are already near historic highs. In fact, in recent decades governments have collected far more revenue from gasoline taxes than the largest U.S. oil companies have collectively earned in domestic profits....

[F]ederal and state taxes on gasoline production and imports have been climbing steadily since the late 1970s and now total roughly $58.4 billion. Due in part to substantial hikes in the federal gasoline excise tax in 1983, 1990, and 1993, annual tax revenues have continued to grow. Since 1977, governments collected more than $1.34 trillion, after adjusting for inflation, in gasoline tax revenues—more than twice the amount of domestic profits earned by major U.S. oil companies during the same period:

Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Lazy, you obviously have mistaken this thread to give the idea that people are concerned about gas prices/profits. You are very mistaken. It's about 's name dropping. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Oh, and he's got a pretty good source for his info about the oil. He just returned from a hunting trip to Argentina with Sheikh Ahmad Fahad Al Sabah. Yes, that's correct. The president of OPEC.[/b][/quote]
                        RIP Stan the Man
                        I miss TLR!

Comment

I have an uncle that owns an oil company also. Apparently he discovered oil on his property while out hunting one day and became filthy rich.

Last I'd heard he packed up the family and moved out to Beverly Hills. Now, being pretty backwards people, I'd imagine he'd have some pretty humors antedotes to share about the culture shock they and his new neighbors have experienced.

He doesn't get to hunt with the Pres of OPEC, but he says the bank manager and his secretary are always lurking around.

Comment

QUOTE(Dr.Gonzo @ Oct 31 2005, 09:48 AM) Quoted post

I have an uncle that owns an oil company also. Apparently he discovered oil on his property while out hunting one day and became filthy rich.

Last I'd heard he packed up the family and moved out to Beverly Hills. Now, being pretty backwards people, I'd imagine he'd have some pretty humors antedotes to share about the culture shock they and his new neighbors have experienced.

He doesn't get to hunt with the Pres of OPEC, but he says the bank manager and his secretary are always lurking around.
                            [/b][/quote]
                            humors antedotes?
                            If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

QUOTE(Turd Ferguson @ Oct 31 2005, 09:52 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Dr.Gonzo @ Oct 31 2005, 09:48 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                              humors antedotes?
                              [/b][/quote]

humorous.

i took jhanke's lern to speel good on the interweb class.

Comment

Working...
                              X