X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny being Manny: Trade me

Report: Ramirez wants Red Sox to trade him
    ESPN.com news services

Manny Ramirez is happy in Boston. He wants to be traded. He's content with the Red Sox. He wants to be traded.

One of his representatives told owner John Henry that Ramirez again wanted to be sent to a different team and wouldn't report to spring training, a team source told The Boston Globe.

Ramirez has the veteran right to block a trade to a team he doesn't like, and Gene Mato said the slugger might change his mind during the process, the paper reported.

General manager Theo Epstein declined to comment on the reported trade request.

''Manny, his representatives, and the Red Sox have open lines of communication and will throughout the offseason," he told the Globe. "I think we all want whatever is in the club's best interest and Manny's best interest."

Ramirez also asked to be traded in July, and has asked for such a move before, chief executive Larry Lucchino said at the time.

Henry and Ramirez were scheduled to meet Wednesday, the Globe reported, but that meeting was delayed by Hurricane Wilma.

Ramirez is due $57 million from his $160 million, eight-year contract: $19 million in 2006, $18 million in 2007 and $20 million in 2008. The deal also includes team options for two additional seasons at $20 million annually.

"Because of the size of his contract, obviously, it's hard," Lucchino said in July. "There aren't a lot of clubs that are going to be interested, but it depends how little you're willing to take in return with respect to trades. I'm not talking about Manny specifically, although it certainly applies to him."

A club might want to make a deal if it asks the Red Sox to pay 95 percent of Ramirez's salary, "but that's not a particularly intelligent thing for us to do," Lucchino said.

He also said this is the fourth straight season in which Ramirez has requested a trade "and our general response was, 'it's that time of year' and we'll explore it as we explore other trades."[/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Welcome to last week

or

Welcome to last month

or

Welcome to last year

or

Fuck it, it's Manny being Manny.

Comment

Ever hear those stories about the crazy shit Rube Waddell would do a hundred years ago, like stepping off the mound to watch a plane fly overhead, or delaying the start of the game b/c he was playing marbles? Manny reminds me of that.
      Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Why does that guy get away with making such demands and having it laughed off as it being "Manny being Manny" almost like its cute? I think if anyone else made such demands they'd get hung by the fans and media. But no, Manny gets to do it year in year out like its clockwork.

Also, just wondering - 210, wtf is up with the whole 105+100 = 0 shit? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img] You won last year, congratuations. I don't see why you have to mock the last 2 seasons we've had.

Official lounge sponsor of new Busch Stadium!

Comment

QUOTE(DLove @ Oct 29 2005, 12:24 PM) Quoted post

Also, just wondering - Lippa, wtf is up with the whole 105+100 = 0 shit? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img] You won last year, congratuations. I don't see why you have to mock the last 2 seasons we've had.
          [/b][/quote]

You know, for all the shit the Cardinal Fans here (in genearl) give to fans of every other team, we certainly don't take it well when it's given back.

Should the Cubs win the division again someday, and Cubs4Ever and bcruise start giving us shit (as they should the way they've been receiving it), I'd fully expect a movement to have them banned.

Seriously, if your gonna dish out the shit every year, sack up and take it when it comes back your way.
          Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

QUOTE(DLove @ Oct 29 2005, 10:24 AM) Quoted post

Why does that guy get away with making such demands and having it laughed off as it being "Manny being Manny" almost like its cute? I think if anyone else made such demands they'd get hung by the fans and media. But no, Manny gets to do it year in year out like its clockwork.[/b][/quote]

I think people realize that it doesn't amount to much.

Also, just wondering - Lippa, wtf is up with the whole 105+100 = 0 shit? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img] You won last year, congratuations. I don't see why you have to mock the last 2 seasons we've had.
            [/b][/quote]

That's 210--guess he just wants to give Cardinal fans the finger. Well, just more reason to hate the Red Sox.
            Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

QUOTE(ChiTownBluesFan @ Oct 29 2005, 12:32 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

You know, for all the shit the Cardinal Fans here (in genearl) give to fans of every other team, we certainly don't take it well when it's given back.

Should the Cubs win the division again someday, and Cubs4Ever and bcruise start giving us shit (as they should the way they've been receiving it), I'd fully expect a movement to have them banned.

Seriously, if your gonna dish out the shit every year, sack up and take it when it comes back your way.
              [/b][/quote]
              Its a ST. LOUIS sports forum. I'm not over on any of their boards giving any kind of shit.

Comment

QUOTE(DLove @ Oct 29 2005, 01:24 PM) Quoted post

Why does that guy get away with making such demands and having it laughed off as it being "Manny being Manny" almost like its cute? I think if anyone else made such demands they'd get hung by the fans and media. But no, Manny gets to do it year in year out like its clockwork.

[/b][/quote]

No one takes him seriously. Supposedly last week he said that he didn't want to be traded. And he did get hung out the first time he did it, maybe even the second. And he definitely got hung out when he said it in July. But it's like Chicken Little. You tend not to take Manny seriously when he says the sky is falling.

As for the 105 thing, ask 210. Honestly, I never knew what the hell he was referring to until you just said that.
                Official Lounge Sponsor:
                Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

QUOTE(kah @ Oct 29 2005, 12:35 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(DLove @ Oct 29 2005, 10:24 AM) Quoted post

Why does that guy get away with making such demands and having it laughed off as it being "Manny being Manny" almost like its cute? I think if anyone else made such demands they'd get hung by the fans and media. But no, Manny gets to do it year in year out like its clockwork.[/b][/quote]

I think people realize that it doesn't amount to much.

[/b][/quote]

That's 210--guess he just wants to give Cardinal fans the finger. Well, just more reason to hate the Red Sox.
                  [/b][/quote]
                  My bad, I changed it. They're both Boston fans so I accidently switched the 2 in my head.

Comment

QUOTE(DLove @ Oct 29 2005, 12:40 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(ChiTownBluesFan @ Oct 29 2005, 12:32 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                    Its a ST. LOUIS sports forum. I'm not over on any of their boards giving any kind of shit.
                    [/b][/quote]

1) Not necessarily speaking of just you, just Cardinal fans in general
                    2) The title says Sports Lounge, not St. Louis Sports Lounge. Granted, probably 90% of the people here have ties to at least one St. Louis team, but still
                    3) Whether they come here or you (general 'you', not you=DLove) go there, the rule is the same. If you're going to dish the shit out, don't be such a pussy when you receive it.
                    Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

trade for manny, move pujols back to LF.
                      Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

QUOTE(bigJOE @ Oct 29 2005, 01:23 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                        So we are going to employ the four OFer softball rules? excellent...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 29 2005, 01:26 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                          [/b][/quote]

They are going to move Eckstein to second and let Rolen cover the entire left side of the IF.

I think he is more than capable.

This is just the Genius being the Genius.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] to you Tony.
                          Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                          -Barry Goldwater

Comment

[/b][/quote]
                            [/b][/quote]

sorry dude. it was a poor attempt at pressbox humor. my bad.

Comment

QUOTE(El Birdo 1 @ Oct 29 2005, 01:28 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                              [/b][/quote]

They are going to move Eckstein to second and let Rolen cover the entire left side of the IF.

I think he is more than capable.

This is just the Genius being the Genius.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] to you Tony.
                              [/b][/quote]

like totally!! the ultimate No-Doubles defense!!! totally setting other teams up for the double play.

Comment

Working...
                              X