Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hank Aaron rips the Astros for lack of african americans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hank Aaron rips the Astros for lack of african americans.

Washington Post ^ | October 27, 2005 | Jorge Arangure Jr

HOUSTON, Oct. 26 -- The Houston Astros are the first World Series team since the 1953 New York Yankees without an African American player on their active roster. That troubles all-time home run king Hank Aaron, who said Wednesday that the Astros need to make an effort to sign African American players.

"It is very disturbing to see something like this," Aaron said. "And you would think that this ballclub could find at least one or two African Americans, especially in this city. It's very disturbing. I think they need to look at that very carefully. They need to talk to people in the scouting department and everybody else because this needs to be addressed."

Only 9 percent of players on major league rosters on Opening Day were African American. Outfielders Terrmel Sledge and J.J. Davis were the only African American players on the Washington Nationals' Opening Day roster. The Baltimore Orioles had none.

"That's part of it because the numbers aren't there," Aaron said. "We don't have enough players. But I think each club needs to look at that carefully. The Astros need to address that. It's a thing where the way the game is played today you would think there is no excuse for an African American not to be on this club."

Aaron was in Houston to present Atlanta Braves outfielder Andruw Jones and Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz with the Hank Aaron Award as the most outstanding offensive performers in each league.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Com'on Hank, I'm sure there's much bigger fish to fry than this.
    Make America Great For Once.

the braves??? off the top of my head, furcal, betemit, julio franco, andruw jones, sosa. well, i guess some of those are latin, but they sure aren't white. why do they have to be from america to count as black?

the astros have the ugly guy astacio. he's not white. viscaino the same.
    Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

Joe Morgan also said the same thing about a week ago.

Don't like it Joe and Hank? Do something about it instead of boo hooing to the media.

Comment

I think Hank is talking about players who were born in the USA.

IMO, a team's management is responsible for putting the best roster together to strive for a championship. A man's racial makeup should not matter. If the best 25 were green guys from Mars, then I'm going with them.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Oct 29 2005, 08:41 AM) Quoted post

I think Hank is talking about players who were born in the USA.

IMO, a team's management is responsible for putting the best roster together to strive for a championship. A man's racial makeup should not matter. If the best 25 were green guys from Mars, then I'm going with them.
          [/b][/quote]

i know he is. but black is black, whether it's from america or not. same as white.

isn't the important thing that minorities are on the team and that it's not an all-white team?
          Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

When I'm cheering for my favorite team, I really don't look at the color of the skin on the player in the uniform, I look at the uniform that that man is wearing. IMO, that the true colors that matter.

Comment

Want to know why the numbers of blacks playing in MLB is down? All you need to do is look at the number of black children playing Little League and Babe Ruth.

I went to several of my nephews LL games and saw only a handful of black kids playing, and this is a league in a section of Worcester that is one of the most diverse in the city. I umped many Babe Ruth games in two different sections and there weren't many black kids in either section. I don't recall seeing many blacks on the 8 US LLWS teams.

From where I'm sitting it looks like black kids simply aren't playing baseball.

Comment

QUOTE(210 @ Oct 29 2005, 09:03 AM) Quoted post

Want to know why the numbers of blacks playing in MLB is down? All you need to do is look at the number of black children playing Little League and Babe Ruth.

I went to several of my nephews LL games and saw only a handful of black kids playing, and this is a league in a section of Worcester that is one of the most diverse in the city. I umped many Babe Ruth games in two different sections and there weren't many black kids in either section. I don't recall seeing many blacks on the 8 US LLWS teams.

[/b][/quote]

You're right. Look at basketball and football, and you'll see the young black kids.

It's kind of sad to see so many young black boys not caring about the game.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Oct 29 2005, 09:05 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(210 @ Oct 29 2005, 09:03 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

You're right. Look at basketball and football, and you'll see the young black kids.

It's kind of sad to see so many young black boys not caring about the game.
                  [/b][/quote]
                  Bingo. Sad, but true. I don't know what baseball can do to change its perception as a "boring" sport, but then again, I don't want to see a lot of the excessive showboating, me-first crap in the NFL and NBA transfer into MLB. Sports are inherently emotional, but celebrating by a third-string LB who makes a routine special teams tackle gets old.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

QUOTE(Donuts_For_Koharski @ Oct 29 2005, 10:20 AM) Quoted post

Bingo. Sad, but true. I don't know what baseball can do to change its perception as a "boring" sport, but then again, I don't want to see a lot of the excessive showboating, me-first crap in the NFL and NBA transfer into MLB. Sports are inherently emotional, but celebrating by a third-string LB who makes a routine special teams tackle gets old.[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

++

Comment

QUOTE(210 @ Oct 29 2005, 09:22 AM) Quoted post

Bingo. Sad, but true. I don't know what baseball can do to change its perception as a "boring" sport, but then again, I don't want to see a lot of the excessive showboating, me-first crap in the NFL and NBA transfer into MLB. Sports are inherently emotional, but celebrating by a third-string LB who makes a routine special teams tackle gets old.[/b][/quote]

++
                      [/b][/quote]

I also 100% agree about the overboard showboating. ESPN has done alot to foster this attitude.

Comment

Isn't only 10% or so of MLB Af-Am? If I'm right there, then for a single team to be "average" there would only be 2, maybe 3, Af-Am's on a team. Having 0 instead of 2 is not a huge discrepancy.

If there is a problem at all, it's that baseball doesn't attract blacks like it does other races. It's not the Astros' problem.

I thought Hank was better than this.
                        Of course you do.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Oct 29 2005, 09:24 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(210 @ Oct 29 2005, 09:22 AM) Quoted post

++
                          [/b][/quote]

I also 100% agree about the overboard showboating. ESPN has done alot to foster this attitude.
                          [/b][/quote]
                          Not just ESPN either. All the halftime and post-game shows focus on the the Chad Johnson's and TO's of the world as well. I know I am getting old, but fuck, I would just love it if a WR made a circus TD catch and just handed the ball to ref. I kills me that what CJ/TO/etc. do to celebrate touchdowns is considered OK by the league, but the Rams were banned from doing the bob-and-weave after a TD. I have never seen the difference.

[/thread hijack and grumpy old man rant]

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

I would need more info from Hank about what he is saying...

Yes statistically there should be a couple African American players on the team, but the fact that there isn't doesn't mean anyone TRIED to make the team that way, sometime stuff just happens. OR is he saying that some teams might build their teams in that way?

Just not enough here for me to make any kind of judgment.
                            Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

QUOTE(ShortHop @ Oct 29 2005, 09:34 AM) Quoted post

Isn't only 10% or so of MLB Af-Am? If I'm right there, then for a single team to be "average" there would only be 2, maybe 3, Af-Am's on a team. Having 0 instead of 2 is not a huge discrepancy.

If there is a problem at all, it's that baseball doesn't attract blacks like it does other races. It's not the Astros' problem.

I thought Hank was better than this.
                              [/b][/quote]

Sadly Hank reflects the oversensitive PC crapola that's so dominate in today's society.

I attend an all black inner city church. The fellas like discussing sports after service. To a man, everyone was making fun and ripping me for rooting for the Astros. It had nothing to do with team talent, but had everything to do with the very thing Hank's bitching about. "How can you root for a team that's ran by the Klan?" was one barb.

Sad, so darn sad.

Comment

Working...
                              X