X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D'Rays interview Michael Jack Schmidt

Report: Schmidt contacted Tampa Bay about job
    ESPN.com news services

Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt became the eighth candidate to interview for the Devil Rays' vacant manager's position on Friday, after reportedly contacting the league about the opportunity.

The St. Petersburg Times reported that Schmidt reached out to the Devil Rays about getting involved after he heard a recent radio interview with new Devil Rays principal owner Stuart Sternberg.

Schmidt was so impressed with Sternberg's philosophies and plans that he contacted Major League Baseball president Bob DuPuy, who put him in touch with Tampa Bay officials, the Times reported.

"It's an interesting opportunity for me. My heart's beating pretty strong the closer I get to talking to those guys," Schmidt told the paper. "It's probably a long shot for me. ... But I think what I might bring, with all due respect to the other guys being interviewed, is kind of an interesting mix. I'm a guy who will be able to catch the ear of anybody just based on my career. And I bring a philosophy of how to go about bettering yourself as a ballplayer and a philosophy of winning baseball games that might be a little unique."

Schmidt, 56, one of the greatest third basemen in history, was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1995 after hitting 548 homeruns in 18 seasons with the Philadelphia Phillies.

A three-time National League MVP, he was a 12-time All-Star and won 10 Gold Gloves before retiring in 1989. Schmidt spent the 2004 season as manager of the Phillies' Class A Clearwater team.

He told the Times baseball officials have encouraged him to get more involved, and he's excited about the opportunity.

"A young organization building a new tradition - this is me," Schmidt told the paper.

Schmidt is the latest candidate to get a formal interview to succeed Lou Piniella, joining New York Yankees bench coach Joe Girardi, former Detroit manager Alan Trammell and four members of the Devil Rays organization.

Los Angeles Angels bench coach Joe Maddon is also on the team's list of potential candidates.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report. [/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy
Working...
X