Oregon Lottery winner buys winning ticket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon Lottery winner buys winning ticket

MEDFORD, Ore. — A woman bought a winning lottery ticket worth $1 million with a stolen credit card and could wind up with nothing if convicted, police said.

Christina Goodenow, 38, of White City (search) in southern Oregon faced numerous theft-related charges, forgery and possession of methamphetamine, said authorities, who searched her home Thursday. The card belonged to a deceased relative, they said.

If convicted of any of the charges, Goodenow will not be able to collect prize money from the winning ticket, said police Lt. Tim George.

Oregon Lottery (search) officials refused to discuss specifics of the case because an investigation is still under way.

"I'll be fascinated to see how this shakes out," Lottery spokesman Chuck Baumann (search) said. "In my 12 years with the Oregon Lottery, this is the first time I've encountered something like this."

Goodenow purchased the winning ticket Oct. 9 using a credit card that had belonged to her mother-in-law, who died more than a year ago, police said.

Goodenow traveled to Oregon Lottery headquarters in Salem on Oct 12 to accept an installment payment of $33,500. The $1 million grand prize is paid out over 20 years.

Detectives began tracking Goodenow on Wednesday after learning that she had used the credit card to purchase several items, including the ticket.

A search warrant served at her home Thursday turned up some methamphetamine, but little money, George said.

"Our investigation is still trying to determine what happened to the $33,500," George said.
    Official Lounge Sponsor:
    The New Orleans Saints, Blue Moon Belgian Ale, Peter Gammons, and Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

dumbitch
    Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
    -Barry Goldwater

Comment

QUOTE(Johnny H @ Oct 28 2005, 01:46 PM) Quoted post

"Our investigation is still trying to determine what happened to the $33,500," George said.
      [/b][/quote]

Check her veins

Comment

How can you purchase lotto tickets with a card anyways? I tried that a couple times by mistake and was told they only take cash for any lotto. No matter if it is powerball or the scratchers
        Sponsor of:
        Brian Elliott
        Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
        5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Can you steal from a dead person?
          Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

QUOTE(kah @ Oct 28 2005, 03:02 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

QUOTE(CSD @ Oct 28 2005, 02:05 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Nice! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
              RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
              You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(Guppy @ Oct 28 2005, 01:54 PM) Quoted post

How can you purchase lotto tickets with a card anyways? I tried that a couple times by mistake and was told they only take cash for any lotto. No matter if it is powerball or the scratchers
                [/b][/quote]
                It's legal here (except in the weird gambling "bars") to use credit cards to buy tickets. I put my ticket on my debit card a couple weeks ago.
                The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Co-Sponsor of Yadi Molina, possessor of the best waxed eyebrows in the league.

Sponsor of steveInebriated and fetcher of cold beer.

Comment

QUOTE(Johnny H @ Oct 28 2005, 01:46 PM) Quoted post

MEDFORD, Ore. — A woman bought a winning lottery ticket worth $1 million with a stolen credit card and could wind up with nothing if convicted, police said.

Christina Goodenow, 38, of White City (search) in southern Oregon faced numerous theft-related charges, forgery and possession of methamphetamine, said authorities, who searched her home Thursday. The card belonged to a deceased relative, they said.

If convicted of any of the charges, Goodenow will not be able to collect prize money from the winning ticket, said police Lt. Tim George.

Oregon Lottery (search) officials refused to discuss specifics of the case because an investigation is still under way.

"I'll be fascinated to see how this shakes out," Lottery spokesman Chuck Baumann (search) said. "In my 12 years with the Oregon Lottery, this is the first time I've encountered something like this."

Goodenow purchased the winning ticket Oct. 9 using a credit card that had belonged to her mother-in-law, who died more than a year ago, police said.

Goodenow traveled to Oregon Lottery headquarters in Salem on Oct 12 to accept an installment payment of $33,500. The $1 million grand prize is paid out over 20 years.

Detectives began tracking Goodenow on Wednesday after learning that she had used the credit card to purchase several items, including the ticket.

A search warrant served at her home Thursday turned up some methamphetamine, but little money, George said.

[/quote][/b]

Umm, how about in the sentence just above the bolded one...
                  I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

perhaps that varies state to state.
                    Official Lounge Sponsor:
                    The New Orleans Saints, Blue Moon Belgian Ale, Peter Gammons, and Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

Comment

How can you purchase lotto tickets with a card anyways? I tried that a couple times by mistake and was told they only take cash for any lotto. No matter if it is powerball or the scratchers [/b][/quote]

I do it at quick trip and have never had a problem.
                      Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                      God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

QUOTE(Schwahalala @ Oct 28 2005, 07:41 PM) Quoted post

How can you purchase lotto tickets with a card anyways? I tried that a couple times by mistake and was told they only take cash for any lotto. No matter if it is powerball or the scratchers [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Too bad it's not the Powerball winner. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
                        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Oct 28 2005, 07:49 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Too bad it's not the Powerball winner. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] [/b][/quote]

Your telling me.
                          Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                          God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

[/b][/quote]
                            state or national? I can't remember what one I tried those few times. I just have cash on me if I am going to get them
                            Sponsor of:
                            Brian Elliott
                            Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                            5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

QUOTE(CSD @ Oct 28 2005, 03:05 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

johnny on the spot!
                              No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
                              President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
                              President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

Working...
                              X