Went to the White Sox parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to the White Sox parade

Lisa Dergan is incredibly sexy in person.

So is Widger.

Originally posted by "Glovey"
    pics?
    Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

I didn't have my camera. Sorry.

He really is hot, though. Believe me.

Comment

I would drink her/his bathwater.
        Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
        -Barry Goldwater

Comment

QUOTE(backstop @ Oct 28 2005, 01:43 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Allow me to help...

Chris Widger in his usual position - on the bench...

Widger during that glorious three day stint with the Mets...

Widger in happier days wearing the Birds on the Bat, exhibiting that solid contact and textbook swing at the plate...

Comment

[/b][/quote]
            you are just pathetic. Must be the cracked helmet you have or something (that was you wasn't it?)
            Sponsor of:
            Brian Elliott
            Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
            5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

'Unbelievable' story plays out for Pennsville's Chris Widger

Saturday, October 22, 2005

By KEVIN MINNICK
              Courier-Post Staff

Chris Widger didn't take a swing during the American League Championship Series.

The Pennsville High School graduate and backup catcher for the White Sox didn't catch a pitch from any of Chicago's four starters during their unbelievable run through the playoffs.

In fact, the only time the veteran crossed the white lines was to congratulate his teammates.

"Unless you consider warming up pitchers between innings, I've been a cheerleader," he said with a laugh.

It sure beats what he was doing a year ago.

Widger, who spent last year hitting home runs in a men's softball league in Salem County and later playing for the Camden Riversharks of the independent Atlantic League, finds himself in the midst of a Cinderella story -- a made-for-TV movie, if you will.

He's going to the World Series, and he doesn't have to scalp a ticket.

"If I could have written a script at the beginning of the season, I couldn't have written one as good as it's turned out," Widger said from Chicago as the White Sox prepared to face the Houston Astros in Game 1 tonight.

"In spring training, I didn't even know if I'd make the team. I just wanted to open some eyes and show I could still play. To be a part of this team, then the playoffs and now the World Series . . . it's unbelievable."

Widger batted .241 with four home runs and 11 RBIs in 45 regular-season games. And like several other reserves, has yet to see any postseason action -- which also included a sweep of the Boston Red Sox in the American League Division Series.

"At this time of year, backups just don't play that much," Widger said. "There are nine starters, and they're starters for a reason. Especially with A.J. (Pierzynski) just not being a defensive catcher. He can swing the bat, too. You're not going to pinch-hit for him unless it's a really tough lefty.

"I played a decent amount this year during the regular season. Just because I'm not playing now doesn't make me feel less a part of the team, less a part of something special."

As are all Chicago fans, and those who've jumped on the bandwagon, Widger finds himself enjoying all of the hoopla surrounding the White Sox's first World Series appearance since 1959.

"All over the city, there's "Go Sox' on signs and billboards," he said. "You walk down the street and people recognize who you are. They've thanked us for a great season, for the great memories. It's a special place to be right now."

And what about that recent Chicago Blackhawks game with teammate Paul Konerko?

"They were lining the aisles for autographs," Widger said. "They introduced us. They put us on the big screen. It was pretty neat.

"On the one hand, you want to enjoy the game. But on the other hand, you just see how excited people are in Chicago."

And back in Pennsville, too.

"It's amazing. Everyone is a Sox fan now," Widger said. "When (his wife) Theresa was out here a month ago, she went home with at least 10 T-shirts and hats for our son and daughter's friends.

"It's neat to see people care that much."

If not for the care of two others -- general manager Ken Williams and skipper Ozzie Guillen -- Widger may not have been given the opportunity to make the team back in March.

"They showed confidence in me even after I was playing softball and independent baseball," Widger said.

"This team is different than any other I've ever been on. We stress family inside the clubhouse. What's said in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse. Everyone is pulling for everyone, we all have each other's back.

"There were a lot of doubters that thought we'd finish fourth in our division, that we didn't have enough hitting. . . . This team couldn't hold together. Toward the end, we'd fade. Those doubters are quiet now. This is a great group, a great organization. Even if we don't win now, I have all the respect in the world for this team."
              [/b][/quote]

Comment

did people run out of things to write about? an article about widger?
                Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Oct 28 2005, 02:13 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I thought it was a very good article.

Comment

QUOTE(backstop @ Oct 28 2005, 02:26 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Oct 28 2005, 02:13 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I thought it was a very good article.
                    [/b][/quote]

I just glanced at it. It didn't mention any of that saving orphans from burning buildings stuff, did it? So it must not have been very well researched.

Of course, he works (and probably) lives in Chicago now. So when he passes burning orphanages now, he realizes that they may be full of c*bs fans and probably keeps on walking.
                    This game's gotta be played with fear and arrogance - Crash Davis

Comment

QUOTE(backstop @ Oct 28 2005, 02:10 PM) Quoted post

'Unbelievable' story plays out for Pennsville's Chris Widger

Saturday, October 22, 2005

By KEVIN MINNICK
                      Courier-Post Staff

Much to the Los Angeles California Angels of Anaheim's chagrin, Chris Widger didn't take a swing during the American League Championship Series.

The Pennsville High School graduate and backup catcher for the White Sox didn't catch a pitch from any of Chicago's four starters during their unbelievable run through the playoffs. Not coincidentally, those White Sox starters managed to throw four consectutive complete games vs LA CAL Angels of ANA.

In fact, the only time the veteran was allowed to cross the white lines was to congratulate his teammates, as Widger was asked to remain in the dugout during the pre-game player introductions.

"Unless you consider warming up pitchers between innings, I've been a cheerleader. Of course, those shin guards look pretty unusual with my skirt ," he said with a laugh.

It sure beats what he was doing a year ago. Of course, so would working in a 7-11 or posting on an internet message board.

Widger, who spent last year batting eighth in a men's softball league in Salem County and later playing for the Bad News Polar Bears of the independent Northern Atlantic League, finds himself in the midst of a Cinderella story -- a very low-budget, made-for-TV movie, if you will.

He's going to the World Series, and he recently was caught attempting to scalp a ticket to Vikings coach Mike Tice.

"If I could have written a script at the beginning of the season, which admittedly is far beyond my abilities, I couldn't have written one as good as it's turned out, with me earning all this postseason money without lifting a finger" Widger said from Chicago as the White Sox prepared to face the Houston Astros in Game 1 tonight.

"In spring training, I didn't even know if I'd make the team, especially when they brought Harold Baines' 15 year old son into camp as a catcher. I just wanted to open some eyes and show I could still sit on the bench as well as ever. To be a part of this team, then the playoffs and now the World Series . . . it's unbelievable that they made it this deep into the season without getting the urge to upgrade their backup catching."

Widger batted .241 with four home runs and 11 RBIs in 45 regular-season games, mainly appearing in blowout games facing mopup relievers and position players throwing innings to save wear and tear on the bullpen. And like several other reserves, mostly from their crosstown rivals, the Cubs, has yet to see any postseason action -- which also included a sweep of the Boston Red Sox in the American League Division Series.

"At this time of year, backups just don't play that much, expecially those of my meager abilities" Widger said. "There are nine starters, and they're starters for a reason. Especially with A.J. (Pierzynski) just not being a defensive catcher. He can swing the bat, too. You're not going to pinch-hit for him unless he's really drunk and the manager is too.

"I played a decent amount this year during the regular season. At least I didn't play enough to screw up our chances of making the playoffs. Fortunately, they sat me down in the nick of time before we blew it against the Indians. Just because I've got as many postseason AB's as Bobby Jenks doesn't make me feel less a part of the team, less a part of something special."

As are all Chicago fans, and those who've jumped on the bandwagon, Widger finds himself enjoying all of the hoopla surrounding the White Sox's first World Series appearance since 1959.

"All over the city, there's "Go Sox' on signs and billboards, that Boston had left over from last year" he said. "You walk down the street and people recognize who you are. I've had several ask, "aren't you that horseshit catcher that never plays?" They've asked me to thank the rest of the team for a great season, for the great memories. It's a special place to be right now."

And what about that recent Chicago Blackhawks game with teammate Paul Konerko?

"They were lining the aisles for Konerko's autograph, they asked me if I would take their picture with Pauly" Widger said. "They introduced us. They put us on the big screen. It was pretty neat. It said, "The BlackHawks welcome Paul Konerko and some other White Sox player"

"On the one hand, you want to enjoy the game. But on the other hand, you know the BlackHawks have always been horseshit, but it's fun to just see how excited people are in Chicago now that we finally have a winning team, even if it's no thanks to me."

And back in Pennsville, too.

"It's amazing. Everyone is a Sox fan now," Widger said. "When (his wife) Theresa was out here a month ago, she went home with at least 10 T-shirts and hats for our son and daughter's friends, that I was able to smuggle out of the clubhouse, when our clubbie wasn't looking. She was able to get a couple hundred bucks for the whole lot of them."

"It's neat to see people pay that much."

If not for the care of two others -- general manager Ken Williams and skipper Ozzie Guillen -- Widger may not have been given the opportunity to make the team back in March.

"They showed confidence in me even after I was playing softball and independent baseball," Widger said. "They mentioned that Pierzynski was a real asshole, and were hoping to find somebody who would be compatible with him. I told them that I was the right guy for that job."

"This team is different than any other I've ever been on. We win occasionally. We stress family inside the clubhouse. What's said in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse. Oops, I guess I shouldn't have told you that we stress family, since that was said in the clubhouse. Everyone is pulling for everyone, we all have each other's back. I'm pulling for Pierzynski too. Pulling for him to throw his back out, that is, so I can maybe actually get my name in a boxscore."

"There were a lot of doubters that thought we'd finish fourth in our division, like they were saying about the Cardinals in 2004. That we didn't have enough quality backups on the bench. . . . This team couldn't hold together. Toward the end, we'd fade. Those doubters are quiet now, since we clearly didn't come close to blowing a 15 game lead in August. This is a great group, a great organization. Even if we don't win now, it can't be my fault, since I never play."
                      [/b][/quote]
                      [/b][/quote]

Fixed

Comment

I really wanted to go to that parade but I had a meeting in the 'burbs. I did see a group of rather big ladies walk by wearing White Sox jerseys, so that was almost just as good.
                        Of course you do.

Comment

Hey Stan,

Just so you know, nobody likes you.

Comment

QUOTE(ShortHop @ Oct 28 2005, 03:00 PM) Quoted post

I really wanted to go to that parade but I had a meeting in the 'burbs. I did see a group of rather big ladies walk by wearing White Sox jerseys, so that was almost just as good.
                            [/b][/quote]

It really wasn't all that exciting. A bunch of traders throwing shredded newspaper out of the CBOT.

Comment

QUOTE(Guppy @ Oct 28 2005, 01:59 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                              you are just pathetic. Must be the cracked helmet you have or something (that was you wasn't it?)
                              [/b][/quote]

That is pathetic. And a cracked replica helmet made for children? Please.
                              Of course you do.

Comment

Working...
                              X