• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Broeg is Dead

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...3B?OpenDocument

Could be dupe.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
    -Barry Goldwater

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bye2.gif[/img]
    Official Lounge Sponsor:
    The New Orleans Saints, Blue Moon Belgian Ale, Peter Gammons, and Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

Comment

The Torch mentioned Broeg being sick a week or so ago.

What a career Broeg had. RIP [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
      RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
      You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

A great Tiger. RIP.
        The Dude abides.

Comment

R.I.P. Bob...

Another of my childhood faves bites the dust...
          I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

One of the best sports writers of the day....he'll be missed

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I learned everything I know about the Tigers pre 1970s from this guy.

May he rest in peace.
              Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

RIP
                His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
                Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

He truly was a great man. I shared this story in the press box just moments ago. I figured I would share it all with you as well:

_________

I'm a young man today at 24. But as a young boy in the early 90's I recall meeting the great Mr. Broeg. He was speaking at the Sunday Morning Carondelet Athletic Club. I attended the event with my dad and grandfather. After the speech, I approached Mr. Broeg.

At this time, the move, "Babe" was coming out. Even as a toddler, for some strange reason, my favorite player was Babe Ruth. Don't get me wrong. I bleed Cardinal red, but I had this fascination with Babe Ruth. Regardless, I asked Mr. Broeg about Ruth. Had he seen him play? What was he like?

Instead of patting me on my 10-year old head and passing along a few words before returning to the adults, Mr. Broeg stood with me for almost a half an hour and talked about his memories of the Sultan of Swat. He explained he had seen the Babe late in his career, but the image of one of the true greats would never die. He recalled how he ran the bases, played the field, and took mighty cuts against the St. Louis Browns. I truly wish I could recall the many stories he shared.

Needless to say, even then, I was mezmorized. My father was as well. Here this icon spent all this time with his little boy. He was glowing.

I only wish you could see his face the next day when he opened up his next issue of the St. Louis Post Dispatch. There was a column by Bob Broeg, and it was all about the conversation he had with me and the mighty Ruth. I believe my dad went to work the next day with 100 copies of the article to pass out amongst his friends at work. It was some kind of experience.

Years later, I met Mr. Broeg again. In fact, it wasn't much more than five years ago, or so. I worked for the University of Missouri's Atheltic Department. I was an intern in their Media Relations office and spent most of my time dealing with Mizzou football.

Every Saturday, when his health permitted, Mr. Broeg could be found sitting in the front row of the press box. Of course, he was decked out in his Tiger Black & Gold.

Again, I approached him much in the same way I did many years prior. I told him the story, only for him to finish it. Even then, he recalled the details.

For the next few years, I chatted with him before games, and I'll cherish those moments.

He was a good writer, a great man, and a St. Louis icon. God Bless, Mr. Broeg. Hopefully, Gussie, Jack, and you can watch many more years of Cardinal baseball together amongst the stars over their new home.

And when you get a chance, don't forget about your ole' Tigers.
                  Official Sponsor of all things Mizzou Football, the non-existant Jose Oquendo STOP sign, and the Rally Hoosier!

Comment

QUOTE(house77 @ Oct 28 2005, 02:03 PM) Quoted post

He truly was a great man. I shared this story in the press box just moments ago. I figured I would share it all with you as well:

_________

I'm a young man today at 24. But as a young boy in the early 90's I recall meeting the great Mr. Broeg. He was speaking at the Sunday Morning Carondelet Athletic Club. I attended the event with my dad and grandfather. After the speech, I approached Mr. Broeg.

At this time, the move, "Babe" was coming out. Even as a toddler, for some strange reason, my favorite player was Babe Ruth. Don't get me wrong. I bleed Cardinal red, but I had this fascination with Babe Ruth. Regardless, I asked Mr. Broeg about Ruth. Had he seen him play? What was he like?

Instead of patting me on my 10-year old head and passing along a few words before returning to the adults, Mr. Broeg stood with me for almost a half an hour and talked about his memories of the Sultan of Swat. He explained he had seen the Babe late in his career, but the image of one of the true greats would never die. He recalled how he ran the bases, played the field, and took mighty cuts against the St. Louis Browns. I truly wish I could recall the many stories he shared.

Needless to say, even then, I was mezmorized. My father was as well. Here this icon spent all this time with his little boy. He was glowing.

I only wish you could see his face the next day when he opened up his next issue of the St. Louis Post Dispatch. There was a column by Bob Broeg, and it was all about the conversation he had with me and the mighty Ruth. I believe my dad went to work the next day with 100 copies of the article to pass out amongst his friends at work. It was some kind of experience.

Years later, I met Mr. Broeg again. In fact, it wasn't much more than five years ago, or so. I worked for the University of Missouri's Atheltic Department. I was an intern in their Media Relations office and spent most of my time dealing with Mizzou football.

Every Saturday, when his health permitted, Mr. Broeg could be found sitting in the front row of the press box. Of course, he was decked out in his Tiger Black & Gold.

Again, I approached him much in the same way I did many years prior. I told him the story, only for him to finish it. Even then, he recalled the details.

For the next few years, I chatted with him before games, and I'll cherish those moments.

He was a good writer, a great man, and a St. Louis icon. God Bless, Mr. Broeg. Hopefully, Gussie, Jack, and you can watch many more years of Cardinal baseball together amongst the stars over their new home.

And when you get a chance, don't forget about your ole' Tigers.
                    [/b][/quote]

Good Stuff!
                    Official Lounge Sponsor:
                    The New Orleans Saints, Blue Moon Belgian Ale, Peter Gammons, and Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

Comment

Bob Broeg was to St. Louis sportswriting what Jack Buck was to St. Louis broadcasting. RIP to a very nice man.
                      "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                      --Albert Einstein

Comment

There was a time when this city had 2 newspapers and 2 great sportswriters, Bob Burnes and Bob Broeg. We got to read The Benchwarmer with our Cheerios in the morning and Broeg in the evening.

I only met Bob Broeg once, about 10 years ago. My office was downtown and there was to be a press conference at the Adams Mark which I walked down the street and snuck into. As they were introducing Stan Kronke I found myself against a far wall next to Broeg and he looked at me and said, "Do you know anything about this guy?" I told him that I was just a sports fan crashing this press conference and he laughed and pointed at Kronke on stage and said, "Well, I guess there are 2 of you here."

He seemed a thoroughly likable fellow.

God rest his soul.

Comment

house77 and DaLode, good stuff guys.

Back in the day my dad used to take me to different functions relating to sports. One annual place was the St. Raphael's father/son breakfast. We would go to 8:00 mass on a Sunday morning and then over to a hall for breakfast with sports celebrities. Stan the man and Bob Burnes were parishoners at St. Raphael's and were there every year. Another person that was always there was Bob Broeg. They would always have a main speaker such as Jack Buck, Jim Hart, Red Schoendist etc. They would all take turns speaking to the guys but of all of them Bob Broeg was always the most fascinating speaker there.

As DaLode mentioned, it used to be a great time for sportsfans when we had two newspapers in town. Burnes as the Benchwarmer in the morning Globe and Broeg as the biggest Mizzou fan in the world in the afternoon with the P-D. He always wore a bow tie and always had a story. He was a very nice man and I'm sure he and Jack Buck will be there for every Cardinal and Tiger game for eternity.

Back in the 1967 world series for some reason Bob Gibson hadn't had anything to eat before game 7 of that series. Broeg stopped on his way to the stadium and bought him two fried egg sandwiches. That's the kind of guy he was. He loved his players and took care of them as though they were his own sons.

Bob Broeg. R.I.P. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
                          RIP Stan the Man
                          The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
                          I miss TLR!

Comment

RIP BB.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bye2.gif[/img]
                            But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

Comment

I was honored to have read many of his columns and books.
                              Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                              God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Working...
                              X