A moment of clarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A moment of clarity

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — Former Sen. John Danforth (search) said Wednesday that the political influence of evangelical Christians is hurting the Republican Party and dividing the country.

Danforth, a Missouri Republican and an Episcopal priest, commented after meeting with students at the Bill Clinton School of Public Service (search), a graduate branch of the University of Arkansas on the grounds of the Clinton presidential library.

"I think that the Republican Party fairly recently has been taken over by the Christian conservatives, by the Christian right (search)," he said in an interview. "I don't think that this is a permanent condition, but I think this has happened, and that it's divisive for the country."

He also said the evangelical Christian influence would be bad for the party in the long run.

Republican National Committee spokeswoman Tracy Schmitt declined to comment on Danforth's remarks.

Danforth, who recently served as ambassador to the United Nations, made similar criticism of the party in an opinion article published by the New York Times in June. In that article, he called for religious moderates to take part in public life.

Danforth, considered a conservative on social issues, was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1976 and served three terms.
    Official Lounge Sponsor:
    The New Orleans Saints, Blue Moon Belgian Ale, Peter Gammons, and Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

John, your country misses you... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
    Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
    Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

very well said.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

I read that yesterday. Good for Danforth for saying that.

In the meantime, our governor here in Missouri was busy this week preaching to the masses about his piousness

http://www.springfieldnewsleader.com/apps/...6/1001/ARCHIVES

Blunt affirms anti-abortion stance at convention

Governor asks Missouri Baptist Convention to consider issues surrounding stem cell research.

Linda Leicht
        News-Leader

It sounded like Gov. Matt Blunt was preaching to the choir Tuesday afternoon when he spoke to the Missouri Baptist Convention, but the governor and the choir don't agree on everything.
        Blunt, introduced as "our pro-life candidate" by MBC executive director David Clippard, got a standing ovation and plenty of "amens" as he quoted the Bible and affirmed his Christian faith.

But there was only one solitary "amen" from the nearly 2,000 Baptists gathered for the annual meeting of the MBC when the governor said, "I believe public money should support research to develop stem cells," challenging all Christians to consider the "complicated issues" of stem cell research.

The Missouri Baptist Convention has taken the governor to task for his support of somatic cell nuclear transfer, known therapeutic cloning.

Blunt left little time for his audience to mull his commitment to pro-life issues when he immediately gave them a line they could applaud by calling for the overthrow of Roe v. Wade, the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion.

After Blunt left the stage to another standing ovation, convention President Mitchell Jackson of Cape Girardeau asked the audience to take the governor's own advice to study and pray — that Blunt would change his mind about cloning.

The differences on stem cell research didn't dampen the group's support of the governor, a Southern Baptist himself and a member of Second Baptist Church, where the meeting is being held.

"This governor is standing with us on 95 percent of the issues," Jackson added.

Blunt's brief address to the convention was part political statement, part Christian testimony.

He began with a quote from Paul's letter to the Thessalonians, "We give thanks to God always for you ..." Then he drew applause and "amens" with an affirmation that "Jesus Christ is the only hope for mankind."

The governor told his fellow Baptists that he was "saved in vacation Bible school," but admitted he has "fallen short" of "real obedience" in his life.

Then he ticked off the work he has done this year to limit abortion in Missouri, calling himself the "first governor to sign laws to protect the most vulnerable among us."

He promised that next year he would propose actions to provide tax credits for donations to anti-abortion agencies and efforts, ensure that pharmacists be allowed to refuse to stock drugs that induce abortion, prohibit agencies such as Planned Parenthood from teaching in public schools, support an amendment to the U.S. Constitution defining marriage as between a man and a woman and appoint state judges who "will not legislate from the bench."

"This governor and administration stand for the sanctity of life," he announced.

Darrell Decker of Springfield is a long-time friend of Blunt and has served on the Missouri Baptist Convention executive board for several years. He attended the session Tuesday as a voting delegate — called messengers — from Ridgecrest Baptist.

Decker was impressed with Blunt's open claim to his Christianity.

"We are really delighted to have a person who claims to be a Christian and a Southern Baptist not be afraid to act like one," said Decker.

Decker, who served on the Greene County Commission for 10 years until he was defeated in the last election, was also impressed with Blunt's political courage.

"To me, that's the character of Matt Blunt. He will get right to what's going on. He does not leave you any doubt where he's at. He has taken a position he believes in whether others do or not," Decker said of Blunt's comments on stem cell research.

"That's delightful to see when someone's in politics."
        “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

QUOTE(Rdog3933 @ Oct 28 2005, 11:01 AM) Quoted post

John, your country misses you... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
          [/b][/quote]

++
          Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Working...
          X