Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If a world series falls in the forest and no one hears it....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If a world series falls in the forest and no one hears it....

Updated: Oct. 27, 2005, 9:09 PM ET
    White Sox-Astros World Series lowest-rated everAssociated Press

NEW YORK -- The Chicago White Sox's first world championship in 88 years was also the lowest-rated World Series ever.

Chicago's four-game sweep of the Houston Astros averaged an 11.1 national rating with a 19 share on Fox. That's down about 7 percent from the previous low, an 11.9 with a 20 share for the 2002 World Series between the Anaheim Angels and the San Francisco Giants.

While the 2002 World Series, which went seven games, rated higher overall, it was only averaging an 11.0 through four games.

This year was a drop of almost 30 percent from last year's series, in which the Boston Red Sox swept the St. Louis Cardinals for their first title in 86 years. That had a 15.8 rating with a 25 share.

Wednesday night's 1-0 Chicago win had a 13.0 preliminary national rating with a 21 share. It was the highest-rated prime-time show on Fox since the final of "American Idol" in May, but still not enough to save the series from being the lowest-rated.

Despite rating so low in comparison to other World Series, the four games of this series were each the highest rated prime-time network programs on their respective nights.
    June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Despite rating so low in comparison to other World Series, the four games of this series were each the highest rated prime-time network programs on their respective nights. [/b][/quote]

To me, this is what matters. With all the viewing options available now, these events will never have ratings like they did in the past.

Comment

Good thing there wasn't a new episode of Lost, otherwise the ratings would have been even lower.

Comment

QUOTE(kconn @ Oct 28 2005, 09:00 AM) Quoted post

Despite rating so low in comparison to other World Series, the four games of this series were each the highest rated prime-time network programs on their respective nights. [/b][/quote]

To me, this is what matters. With all the viewing options available now, these events will never have ratings like they did in the past.
        [/b][/quote]

++
        Sponsor of:
        Brian Elliott
        Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
        5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

QUOTE(tallahassee blues fan @ Oct 28 2005, 08:38 AM) Quoted post

Updated: Oct. 27, 2005, 9:09 PM ET
          White Sox-Astros World Series lowest-rated everAssociated Press

NEW YORK -- The Chicago White Sox's first world championship in 88 years was also the lowest-rated World Series ever.

Chicago's four-game sweep of the Houston Astros averaged an 11.1 national rating with a 19 share on Fox. That's down about 7 percent from the previous low, an 11.9 with a 20 share for the 2002 World Series between the Anaheim Angels and the San Francisco Giants.

While the 2002 World Series, which went seven games, rated higher overall, it was only averaging an 11.0 through four games.

This year was a drop of almost 30 percent from last year's series, in which the Boston Red Sox swept the St. Louis Cardinals for their first title in 86 years. That had a 15.8 rating with a 25 share.

Wednesday night's 1-0 Chicago win had a 13.0 preliminary national rating with a 21 share. It was the highest-rated prime-time show on Fox since the final of "American Idol" in May, but still not enough to save the series from being the lowest-rated.

Despite rating so low in comparison to other World Series, the four games of this series were each the highest rated prime-time network programs on their respective nights.
          [/b][/quote]

No, the last two WS did not happen, therefore they could not possibly count.
          I'm here until I'm gone, then I'm somewhere else!

Comment

The only rational solution is to add more teams to the playoffs, so there will be three or four rounds in both leagues, and reduce the World series to just one game played indoors, two weeks after the preliminary playoffs.
            v

Comment

No, the solution is to give home field advantage in the All-Star game to whichever league wins the World Series.

I'll bet people would watch then, boy howdy.

Comment

I blame the NHL.

Comment

I listened to a little of the Dan Patrick show today, and for me, I only need a little bit of DP these days.

However, I thought he had some great points and I give him credit for calling out FOX the way that he did, which I didn't expect from him. Along the way, he also subtley called out ESPN, like Fox, for being overrun by advertiser dollars and not paying attention to the real fans.
                  Of course you do.

Comment

Fans would have turned out in greater numbers had the roof at Minute Maid been closed.
                    Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

Working...
                    X