• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blues at the Pond - 10/28

Originally posted by Yahoo.com
    St. Louis (2-5-2) at Anaheim (4-5-1)
    9:30 PM CDT

While Jean-Sebastien Giguere's health is no longer a concern for the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, poor play in close games remains the St. Louis Blues' biggest worry.

The Blues look to snap a string of three straight one-goal losses when they visit an Anaheim Mighty Ducks team coming off a strong effort in Giguere's return.

Giguere made 25 saves after missing three games because of a groin strain to lead Anaheim to a 4-1 victory over the Calgary Flames on Wednesday.

"It was only a week for me, so I don't think it was too much of a setback,'' Giguere said. "Mentally and physically, we were sure it was good. We tested it with two practices instead of one, so I was ready to go and I felt good.''

Giguere will test a St. Louis team that hasn't won since beating the Mighty Ducks 3-2 on Oct. 19. The Blues' skid includes two overtime games.

"Basically, we keep shooting ourselves in the foot,'' St. Louis coach Mike Kitchen said. "We get a lead and we don't know how to protect it, then we make a mistake and it's in our net.''

St. Louis lost 5-4 in overtime to the Phoenix Coyotes on Tuesday when Petr Nedved scored off a rebound 1:51 into the extra period.

Jamal Mayers scored twice for the Blues, marking his second multigoal game of the season.

Ryan Johnson and Jeff Hoggan scored in an 18-second span of the second period to put St. Louis ahead 3-2. It was Johnson's first goal of the season.

Blues left wing Keith Tkachuk, on injured reserve with a rib injury, will miss at least two more games.

"He had a little setback,'' Kitchen said.

Giguere is healthy again, and so is the Ducks' power play.

Anaheim got power-play goals from Joffrey Lupul, Keith Carney and Teemu Selanne on Wednesday.

Selanne's return to the Ducks after stints with San Jose and the Colorado Avalanche has rejuvenated the nine-time All-Star, who scored 225 goals for Anaheim before being traded in March 2001. He has six goals in his first 10 games back with the team.

"I think it's a different Teemu than when he was here the first time,'' Giguere said. "He's having a lot more fun than he used to. But you can tell that he's here for one thing, and that's to win. And it's good to see that.''

Though Giguere is back, the Ducks are still battling injuries to key players.

Sergei Fedorov has missed seven straight games because of a groin strain, defenseman Sandis Ozolinsh was scratched Wednesday because of a fractured rib and rookie Ryan Getzlaf sat out his second game because of a strained left shoulder. Their status for Friday's game is uncertain.

Other Games...
    Philadelphia 5-2-1 (Road: 1-1-1) 7:00pm ET
    Carolina 6-2-1 (Home: 4-0-0)

Minnesota 5-4-1 (Road: 1-2-1) 7:00pm ET
    Columbus 3-7-0 (Home: 2-3-0)

Buffalo 6-3-0 (Road: 2-2-0) 7:30pm ET
    New Jersey 4-5-0 (Home: 3-2-0)

Washington 4-6-0 (Road: 1-3-0) 7:30pm ET
    Tampa Bay 5-3-2 (Home: 2-2-1)

Edmonton 3-6-1 (Road: 1-4-0) 8:30pm ET
    Dallas 5-3-1 (Home: 3-2-1)

San Jose 4-5-1 (Road: 2-5-1) 10:30pm ET
    Los Angeles 7-3-0 (Home: 5-2-0)
    Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
    "He'll Finnish You Off"

Already I find myself not giving a shit about the Blues.

I tried, but Pleau and Sauer ripped up this team so bad, I don't even enjoy watching them.
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Tonight's game marks the second game of a three-game road trip for the Blues and the third time this season the Blues will play back-to-back games. St. Louis is coming off a 5-4, overtime loss to the Phoenix Coyotes on Tuesday night. The Blues have played in six one-goal games so far this season, posting a 1-3-2 record. Through the first nine games, St. Louis has only played in as many one-goal games one other time in franchise history and that was during the 2003-04 season. The Blues posted a 4-1-1 record during that year. The Blues have posted a power play goal in six of their nine games this season.

Tonight's match marks the second of four meetings between the teams this season. The Blues defeated the Mighty Ducks 3-2, in their first meeting of the year on Oct. 19 at Savvis Center. Eric Brewer scored the game-winning goal with less than a minute to play to lift the Blues to victory. St. Louis went 2-7 on the power play and killed five of six penalties in the first contest. The Blues have posted a 26-14-5-0 all-time record against the Mighty Ducks, including a 13-7-2-0 mark on the road. The Blues are winless in their last four trips to Anaheim, posting a 0-3-1-0 mark. The teams will meet two more times this season with their next meeting slated for Dec. 21 at Anaheim.

A Look Ahead
      Following tonight's contest, the Blues will conclude their three-game road trip Saturday night at Los Angeles. The Blues will then begin a three-game homestand on Wednesday, Nov. 2 versus Chicago. The homestand will include visits from Edmonton on Friday, Nov. 4 and Detroit on Sunday, Nov. 6.

Hot Stats
      Jamal Mayers has collected two multi-goal games this season.

Petr Cajanek has posted seven (1g, 6a) of his nine points on the power play and has notched at least one point in seven of the first nine games.

Doug Weight has collected five (1g, 4a) of his seven points on the power play.

Andy Roach has tallied all of his three points (1g, 2a) on the power play.

Bryce Salvador needs one penalty minute for 300 for his career.

Patrick Lalime has recorded a 6-1-0 all-time record against the Mighty Ducks, along with a 2.00 goals against average.[/b][/quote]
      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
      Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

BUMP for BlueBrained
        "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Was this pinned?

Am I blind?

Comment

BB's was, Ohio's was not. They are merged together now.
            Sponsor of:
            Brian Elliott
            Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
            5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Anyone notice that 'Stone-Hands' Mayers is actually doing some scoring? Couldn't believe it the other night when Weight faked a shot to pass to Mayers and he actually one-timed it for a pp goal (I think). He's about due for an injury.

Cajanek doing well, and Weight doing good work on pp. Lalime has played pretty well too.

Some bright spots, but the youth on defense, as well as the number of new guys has led to a piss poor transition game, and Lalime getting hung out to dry too often.

Moon

Comment

Mayers is on pace for 51 goals...

Comment

QUOTE(BlueBrained @ Oct 28 2005, 11:00 AM) Quoted post

Mayers is on pace for 51 goals...
                  [/b][/quote]
                  YES!!!! Move over Iginla, there's a new sheriff in town... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
                  Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
                  Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

Go Blues, need a win here.

Official lounge sponsor of new Busch Stadium!

Comment

Lalime isn't playing, so the Blues might have a chance to win tonight.
                      RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                      You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Flyers at the red hot Carolina Hurricanes tonight. It should be a good one.
                        Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

QUOTE(CSD @ Oct 28 2005, 01:15 PM) Quoted post

Flyers at the red hot Carolina Hurricanes tonight. It should be a good one.
                          [/b][/quote]
                          Matt Cullen is a FORCE!!!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
                          "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Carolina 8
                            Philly 6
                            [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif[/img]

Columbus 2
                            Minny 1
                            shootout

Jersey 3
                            Buffalo 2

Tampa 4
                            Washington 2
                            Sponsor of:
                            Brian Elliott
                            Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                            5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Tkachuk has cracked ribs? Okay, even as his sponsor I'm laughing now. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X