No physical for Pujols?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No physical for Pujols?

Over at Birdsonthebat.com, there is a good discussion about this column at Stltoday, only I couldnt find the column there...

http://www.birdsonthebat.com/showthread.ph...&threadid=20681

Cards' desire for physical almost derailed Pujols deal
    By Joe Strauss
    Post-Dispatch
    02/21/2004

JUPITER, Fla. - Albert Pujols signed the ninth $100 million contract in the game's history Friday, but it wouldn't have happened if the Cardinals had not made an 11th-hour concession.

The parties almost walked away from the deal early Thursday because of the team's desire for Pujols to undergo a physical before it authorized the contract. The requirement is standard for most organizations; however, the agreement's proximity to Pujols' arbitration hearing scheduled for Friday in Phoenix became a major complication, according to sources familiar with the process.

At one point the sides considered setting aside the seven-year deal in favor of a one-year compromise that would have kept them out of a Friday arbitration. Such a deal probably would have caused restructuring of the complex contract that had taken nearly a week to negotiate.

With the deal close on Tuesday, general manager Walt Jocketty optimistically instructed assistant GM John Mozeliak to fly to Florida rather than Phoenix. Though some news outlets reported a deal had been finalized Wednesday night, Mozeliak and one of the team's attorneys, Hal Welford were told to stand by in case negotiations unraveled. "I felt pretty good Wednesday night but much better Thursday that this was going to be completed," Jocketty said. "There were still issues that had to be resolved as late as (Thursday). We finally did get things resolved."

To avoid the Friday hearing, the Cardinals would have had to pay Pujols around the $8.75 million midpoint of the team's $7 million bid and the player's $10.5 million request in the compromise one-year deal. The seven-year contract pays Pujols $7 million this season.

While talks continued with Pujols' agent, Dan Lozano, Jocketty gathered with general partner Bill DeWitt Jr. and Cardinals chairman Fred Hanser Thursday morning.

Shortly before noon Thursday, DeWitt conceded the issue to Lozano, authorizing the contract without Pujols first undergoing a physical.

"There was some discussion about it," DeWitt said. "But we ultimately thought it was worth (forgoing the physical before signing) to get the deal done."

Pujols still must undergo a physical in order for the Cardinals to insure the ninth-largest contract in Major League history. Pujols, 24, has played 475 games in three seasons. He missed four games last August because of flu and a league suspension.

More significantly, he sprained ligaments near his right elbow in April. Though Pujols' elbow did not require surgery, his throwing was affected. Pujols probably will shift from left field to first base, in part to alleviate strain on his elbow. He will have a team physical March 25 but must also have an independent exam before the team can secure insurance. DeWitt said Friday that he does not anticipate any complications, adding "That's a risk we're willing to take."

Little doubt exists that the Cardinals can insure Pujols. But in recent years insurers have become far more stringent on their degree of coverage. Pre-existing conditions are often excluded.

The contract represented compromise from both sides. Pujols relented on deferred money and the scope of no-trade language. He accepted at least $12 million deferred without interest, and designated 10 teams to which he can be traded in the final four years of the deal.

"We deferred money to allow the team flexibility," Lozano said. "Albert wants them to pursue other players so that the team can continue to win. This guy is competitive. He wants nothing more than to win a ring. He's willing to do that, whatever it takes."
    “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

I read that when it came out and thought it was odd, but he needs one for the insurers, so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Comment

No interest on deferred money is a good consession for the owners.
      Is that common?

Limited no-trade is good for the GM(team).

The no physical is maybe worrisome. I'll tell you after the insurance physical.
      Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote@Feb 23 2004, 08:25 PM
        I read that when it came out and thought it was odd, but he needs one for the insurers, so I don't think it's that big of a deal.
        Right, but if by chance he fails the insurance one, or somethings wrong, is the contract still valid?

Comment

Maybe his elbow didn't heal during the offseason.

I don't know why else he would be against getting a physical.

Comment

No interest on deferred money is a good consession for the owners.
            Is that common?
            No.

One of the articles I read said the Union usually doesn't allow it.
            Goulet!

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Feb 23 2004, 08:31 PM
              Maybe his elbow didn't heal during the offseason.

I don't know why else he would be against getting a physical.
              I think timing was part of the issue w/ arbitration.

No?

Comment

Perhaps. How long does a physical take though? If the teams were seriously negotiating and looked like they were clsoing in on an agreement, why not ask him to show up a day early to take a physical?

Comment

They had plenty of time to get a physical done.

It is really wierd that we would sign a guy to a $100 million contract without maybe making sure he was sound. Especially given his elbow problem last year - the same problem that Luis Gonzalez has right now - and the suspicions about his age, which an insurance checkup might be able to confirm.

Even if they didnt have time to get the physical done before arbitration, is it really a good strategy to sign a guy to that kind of dough without a physical?

And no, once the contract is signed, the deal cant be voided if he doesnt pass the insurance physical.
                  “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

If the deal had fallen apart based on a physical, you'd have went nuts.

A rock and hard place for the Cards. My question: why was Albert so adamant about not doing it?
                    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy@Feb 23 2004, 08:43 PM
                      the suspicions about his age, which an insurance checkup might be able to confirm
                      How would they do that? Cut him open at the spinal column and count the rings?

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Feb 23 2004, 09:35 PM
                        My question: why was Albert so adamant about not doing it?
                        Thats my question as well. Maybe it is nothing or maybe it is. Guess we will find out.

Or maybe we wont, since the club often fails to disclose disparaging news about their players. See Daryl Kile and Woody Williams for two glaring examples.

Comment

My goodness, Pujols played almost an entire season with one good arm! Isn't that enough? This is petty to me. He's a gamer and there aren't many like him. 'nuff said.
                          *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Don't the players get beginning and end-of-season physicals every year?
                            . . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
                            -mike
                            mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

Comment

Working...
                            X