An update of sorts on Checketts/Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An update of sorts on Checketts/Blues

They're still talking. Sauer says extending the negotiating window is no big deal.

Checketts has been trying to line up local partners, including Tony Sansone.

One rumor going around is that Laurie is having second thoughts...

I doubt that.

--B [/b][/quote]

http://forums.stltoday.com/viewtopic.php?t=307307

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Updated:

Originally posted by "BernieM"
    just made a call...

sale to checketts will go through... soon.

--B[
    [/b][/quote]

Comment

Prospective buyer is still considered the front-runner
      By Jeremy Rutherford
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

ANAHEIM, CALIF.

The sale of the Blues and the Savvis Center lease is going to take a little longer.

The 30-day negotiating window agreed upon by Blues owners Bill and Nancy Laurie and businessman Dave Checketts on Sept. 28 passed Thursday without any sort of announcement.

Blues officials said no announcement was forthcoming.

The expiration of the exclusive-rights window, however, means little in the big picture.

Sources close to the negotiations told the Post-Dispatch that although no deal was in place Thursday, the Lauries are continuing talks with Sports Capital Partners Inc., headed by Checketts, and that a sale could happen soon.

Blues president Mark Sauer's only comment on the sale Thursday was, "We're moving forward."

Checketts has declined comment, and a representative from Game Plan LLC, the Boston-based group orchestrating the sale, has not returned phone messages.

The Blues and Sports Capital Partners not extending the 30-day negotiating window also appears to mean little. In theory, it reopens the bidding to other prospective buyers. Shaun Hayes, president of National City Bank, was among at least two other groups who reportedly submitted bids to the Blues. It's believed, though, that the Lauries are focused only on Checketts' offer.

Checketts' offer initially was thought to be between $110 million and $120 million. A person close to the negotiations later told the Post-Dispatch the bid was $150 million, which would explain how Checketts earned the 30-day exclusive-rights window. But how close the Blues owners and Checketts are to the $150 million figure a month after the letter of intent was signed is not known.

Recently, there has been speculation that Bill Laurie has developed second thoughts about selling the Blues and Savvis' lease, and that he is being advised to move forward with the transaction. That could not be confirmed this week.

Sauer has maintained since the franchise went up for sale last June that the Lauries were intent on selling the team. He said the couple had no intentions of backing out, even after the NHL's new collective bargaining agreement was ratified. Asked about the speculation, Sauer said this week that he had no comment.

The negotiations between the Blues' owners and Sports Capital Partners appear to be serious. Checketts and partners Mike McCarthy and Ken Munoz attended the Blues-Anaheim game Oct. 19. Sauer confirmed the group's presence at the game but told reporters Checketts did not want to address the media and the Blues had nothing further to add on the sale at that time.

For now, nothing has changed.
      [/b][/quote]

Comment

Working...
      X