Port Authority Found Liable in 1993 WTC Bombing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port Authority Found Liable in 1993 WTC Bombing

Oct. 26 (Bloomberg) -- A New York jury said the owner of the World Trade Center was legally responsible in the 1993 terrorist bombing that killed six people and injured 1,000.

The civil trial jury today found the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey 68 percent liable for the attack, in which terrorists detonated explosives in a rented van in the 400-car garage under the former twin towers. The terrorists were 32 percent liable, the jury said.

The trial consolidated more than 400 cases, including suits filed by people injured by the blast, the families of the dead and businesses. There will now be separate trials to determine damages for the various parties affected by the attack.

``This was an extraordinary victory, and we're deeply grateful to the jurors,'' said David Dean, a lawyer for survivors and relatives of those who died ``This case was never about blaming the terrorists. It was always about the failure of the Port Authority to respond to their own reports and to the advice of others. The garage should have been closed.''

The liability finding of greater than 50 percent allows the plaintiffs to seek full payment of damages from the Port Authority, Dean said.

A lawyer for the Port Authority said it will appeal.

``The February 26, 1993, attack on the World Trade Center was an act of terrorism for which terrorists alone are responsible,'' Marc Kasowitz, the lawyer, said after the verdict. ``While the Port Authority believes in our American jury system, it believes the decision in this case was egregiously incorrect.

`Strong Grounds for Appeal'

``The Port Authority believes that there are extremely strong grounds for appeal based on errors made by the court during this trial, and the Port Authority is confident it will prevail.''

At the month-long trial, lawyers for the plaintiffs argued the Port Authority bore primary responsibility for the death and destruction by ignoring five reports that said the underground parking garage was a prime target for a terrorist attack.

The Port Authority, a two-state, quasi-governmental agency, didn't close the garage because it would have inconvenienced tenants and lost money, plaintiffs' lawyers argued.

Authorities said the bombers hoped one of the twin towers would collapse on the other when the bomb went off. Neither collapsed.

The attack led to the convictions of four men about a year later. Ramzi Yousef was convicted in 1997 of masterminding the attack and planting the bomb. He was also found guilty in a federal court of plotting to blow up a dozen U.S. jets.

240-Year Sentence

Yousef was sentenced to 240 years in prison, a punishment that was upheld by an appeals court last year.

Port Authority lawyers said attacks at the World Trade Center were inevitable, given the towers' status as a symbol of American capitalism. The agency contends it acted responsibly and that almost nothing could have prevented terrorist attacks against the center.

Lawyers weren't permitted by the trial judge, Justice Nicholas Figueroa of state Supreme Court, to discuss the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks that destroyed the skyscrapers.

The trial focused on a 1985 report commissioned by the Port Authority that called the World Trade Center a ``most attractive terrorist target.''

The report's author, Edward O'Sullivan, a former Port Authority mechanical engineer, testified that executives of the authority rejected his recommendations that included closing the parking garage.

O'Sullivan said the former Port Authority executive director, Stephen Berger, told him the recommendations wouldn't be implemented and another study would be done by a different group.

To contact the reporter on this story: Christopher Mumma in New York at [email protected]. Last Updated: October 26, 2005 18:18 EDT
    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

So terrorists drive a truck into a parking lot and blow it up...and they're only 32% liable?

I bet they're pissed.

They're in for a surprise when they get to heaven to find only 22.4 virgins waiting for them.

Talk about being fucked out of your glory.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 27 2005, 02:42 PM) Quoted post

So terrorists drive a truck into a parking lot and blow it up...and they're only 32% liable?[/b][/quote]

Yeah, that's the quote of the article. Is that from the Daily Show or SNL?

How can someone say that with a straight face?
      "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

It's also good to see our justice system work so quickly. I wasn't old enough to drink in 1993.
        "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 27 2005, 02:42 PM) Quoted post

So terrorists drive a truck into a parking lot and blow it up...and they're only 32% liable?

I bet they're pissed.

They're in for a surprise when they get to heaven to find only 22.4 virgins waiting for them.

Talk about being fucked out of your glory.
          [/b][/quote]
          I bow to the genius that is BBZ. Well done.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

``The February 26, 1993, attack on the World Trade Center was an act of terrorism for which terrorists alone are responsible,'' Marc Kasowitz, the lawyer, said after the verdict. ``While the Port Authority believes in our American jury system, it believes the decision in this case was egregiously incorrect.

``The Port Authority believes that there are extremely strong grounds for appeal based on errors made by the court during this trial, and the Port Authority is confident it will prevail.''
            The Dude abides.

Comment

QUOTE(Moe_Szyslak @ Oct 27 2005, 02:58 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

The Port Authority has gone big time - keeps referring to itself in the 3rd person.

I hate that.
              Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Oct 27 2005, 03:05 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

The Port Authority has gone big time - keeps referring to itself in the 3rd person.

I hate that.
                [/b][/quote]

BBZ agrees with you.
                MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

[/b][/quote]

I hate that.
                  [/b][/quote]

I think the lawyer is referring to his client.
                  The Dude abides.

Comment

QUOTE(Moe_Szyslak @ Oct 27 2005, 03:08 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I hate that.
                    [/b][/quote]

I think the lawyer is referring to his client.
                    [/b][/quote]

BBZ agrees with Moe.

Comment

Elvis agrees with BBZ. Elvis was just screwing around - again.
                      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Working...
                      X