Hurricane Wilma Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Wilma Update

Well, it's been about 3 days since the storm. My power went off at about 7 am on Monday in the midst of 100 MPH winds. My power is still off and they are saying that it could be two weeks before we get it back on. It was pretty crazy, but at least my house is strong as as hell. Just lost trees and my fence. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

School is canceled for the week, but the library's open today so at least I can check my email and get the Rams news. Still most businesses are closed due to the lack of power. Broward County is even worse. They still have almost nothing open. People are starting to panic a little. The biggest problem is gasoline. The pumps here are all run on electricity. No electricity=no gas. There are about 6 gas stations open in the tri-county region, meaning 5 million people are trying to go to those 6 stations for gas. People yesterday were waiting 7-8 hours in line for gas!!!

I haven't heard from Xavier, but it's likely he didn't even get to see the Astros lay an egg against the Sox--even if he has his power back on, it's wall-to-wall hurricane coverage on tv. I don't even think they showed any of the baseball games.

QUOTE(Miami Card Fan @ Oct 27 2005, 09:18 AM) Quoted post
    Well, it's been about 3 days since the storm. My power went off at about 7 am on Monday in the midst of 100 MPH winds. My power is still off and they are saying that it could be two weeks before we get it back on. It was pretty crazy, but at least my house is strong as as hell. Just lost trees and my fence. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

School is canceled for the week, but the library's open today so at least I can check my email and get the Rams news. Still most businesses are closed due to the lack of power. Broward County is even worse. They still have almost nothing open. People are starting to panic a little. The biggest problem is gasoline. The pumps here are all run on electricity. No electricity=no gas. There are about 6 gas stations open in the tri-county region, meaning 5 million people are trying to go to those 6 stations for gas. People yesterday were waiting 7-8 hours in line for gas!!!

I haven't heard from Xavier, but it's likely he didn't even get to see the Astros lay an egg against the Sox--even if he has his power back on, it's wall-to-wall hurricane coverage on tv. I don't even think they showed any of the baseball games. [/b][/quote]

Amazing
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

It really shows how quickly things can turn to chaos.
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Glad you're okay. I hope X is too.
        Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Oct 27 2005, 09:27 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

++++++++++

I was wondering where X has been.

Hey Miami, how are things in West Palm Beach? About the same? I've been trying to get ahold of my dad's cousin down there for a few days and I haven't been able to get through. Her phone just rings and rings. Thanks for any help. Glad to see you at least can get online. Good luck.
          RIP Stan the Man
          The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
          I miss TLR!

Comment

QUOTE(Schwahalala @ Oct 27 2005, 08:22 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Miami Card Fan @ Oct 27 2005, 09:18 AM) Quoted post

I haven't heard from Xavier, but it's likely he didn't even get to see the Astros lay an egg against the Sox--even if he has his power back on, it's wall-to-wall hurricane coverage on tv. I don't even think they showed any of the baseball games. [/b][/quote]

Amazing
            [/b][/quote]
            It's really quite a problem, because a lot of places like grocery stores and restaurants and other services are able to be open running on generator power. But, employees are running out of gas. If the problem isn't fixed very soon, it's just going to shut things down that much more.

The problem is very avoidable and has nothing to do with a shortage of gas. There's plenty of gas, but pumps made within the last 20 years run on high voltage electricity. The few stations that are open use the old style pumps which only require 20 amps powered by a very low-powered generator.

Comment

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Oct 27 2005, 08:31 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

++++++++++

Hey Miami, how are things in West Palm Beach? About the same? I've been trying to get ahold of my dad's cousin down there for a few days and I haven't been able to get through. Her phone just rings and rings. Thanks for any help. Glad to see you at least can get online. Good luck.
              [/b][/quote]
              Palm Beach County didn't get the storm quite as bad as Broward and Dade, but they are in the same boat. Most people have no power. If your cousin has a phone run by electricity, you're probably not going to be able to get through. Cellular service has also been very sketchy. I was just able to get into contact with my family yesterday. Needless to say, they were very concerned.

Once again, people weren't as prepared as they should have been. The storm track had the storm hitting Naples and the effect on this side of the state was supposed to be relatively minimal. They were wrong. We took the brunt of the storm and are paying for a lack of preparation again.

Comment

That is something else. It always seems to amaze me what happens in this day and age. Glad to hear you are doing ok and the home is standing still. Hopefully X has the same fate as you do.
                Sponsor of:
                Brian Elliott
                Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

QUOTE(Guppy @ Oct 27 2005, 08:35 AM) Quoted post

That is something else. It always seems to amaze me what happens in this day and age. Glad to hear you are doing ok and the home is standing still. Hopefully X has the same fate as you do.
                  [/b][/quote]
                  Miami Beach got hit pretty hard, but I'm sure he's doing fine. I just haven't been able to get through to his cellphone.

The good thing about this storm is that structural damage was relatively minor and there were few injuries. Nobody likes to be without power and day to day stuff, but it's really nothing more than an inconvenience. In fact, I've met more of my neighbors in the last three days than I have in the last year. We've all had each other over for barbecues and beer. It really is a great time to get together with friends.

Comment

I call her number and it rings about 15 or 20 times and then an automated voice comes on and says "the person you are calling has not answered, please try your call again later". It's not her answering machine so I think it's maybe the phone company. Is that the standard thing when the service is down? Thanks.
                    RIP Stan the Man
                    The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
                    I miss TLR!

Comment

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Oct 27 2005, 09:41 AM) Quoted post

I call her number and it rings about 15 or 20 times and then an automated voice comes on and says "the person you are calling has not answered, please try your call again later". It's not her answering machine so I think it's maybe the phone company. Is that the standard thing when the service is down? Thanks.
                      [/b][/quote]

No, that's the standard thing so phone lines aren't wasted by people like you who would let it ring for 50 times.
                      The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

QUOTE(Miami Card Fan @ Oct 27 2005, 09:35 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Oct 27 2005, 08:31 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

++++++++++

[/b][/quote]
                        Palm Beach County didn't get the storm quite as bad as Broward and Dade, but they are in the same boat. Most people have no power. If your cousin has a phone run by electricity, you're probably not going to be able to get through. Cellular service has also been very sketchy. I was just able to get into contact with my family yesterday. Needless to say, they were very concerned.

Once again, people weren't as prepared as they should have been. The storm track had the storm hitting Naples and the effect on this side of the state was supposed to be relatively minimal. They were wrong. We took the brunt of the storm and are paying for a lack of preparation again.
                        [/b][/quote]

Is there sort of a laid back attitude concerning hurricanes in FL or what? You say "people weren't as prepared as they should have been" and you're "paying for a lack of preparation again."

I don't get it. How can people not be prepared? I mean they tell you a week ahead of time that these things are coming and this is like the 10th hurricane in 13 months or something like that. I'm not trying to be a smartass - I just don't understand why only 6 gas stations would be open. You would think there would be a plan in place.

Glad to hear you and your family are ok.
                        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Oct 27 2005, 08:41 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                          If it's a cordless phone, it's just going to ring and ring. She's not going to be able to hear the phone, because it has no power. I'm sure that's the problem.

Comment

I'm glad to hear you're ok, and no damage to your home.

Are you in the area where people are waiting in line for ice and water?

Comment

QUOTE(Miami Card Fan @ Oct 27 2005, 09:40 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Guppy @ Oct 27 2005, 08:35 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                              Miami Beach got hit pretty hard, but I'm sure he's doing fine. I just haven't been able to get through to his cellphone.

The good thing about this storm is that structural damage was relatively minor and there were few injuries. Nobody likes to be without power and day to day stuff, but it's really nothing more than an inconvenience. In fact, I've met more of my neighbors in the last three days than I have in the last year. We've all had each other over for barbecues and beer. It really is a great time to get together with friends.
                              [/b][/quote]

That sure is a great way to meet your neighbors. Not the best way but if that is what it takes for everyone to meet then fantastic [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] Guess you got to use that meat up before it goes bad so why not BBQ them up in a hurry?

At the last place I lived at here in STL, I did not have power for just over 3 days. When I lived in NC, I was without it for about a week when Fran came through. I could not imagine going without power for a few weeks.
                              Sponsor of:
                              Brian Elliott
                              Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                              5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Working...
                              X