Presidential second terms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presidential second terms

When was the last presidential second term that wasn't an unqualified disaster?

Let's see....Clinton is impeached, Reagan has Iran-Contra, Nixon and Watergate, LBJ and Vietnam, Ike and his heart attacks...am I missing anyone/anything?

I think you'd have to go back to FDR. At least he had the good sense to die in office.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    --Albert Einstein

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Oct 27 2005, 09:04 AM) Quoted post

Let's see....Clinton is impeached, Reagan has Iran-Contra, Nixon and Watergate, LBJ and Vietnam, Ike and his heart attacks...am I missing anyone/anything?

I think you'd have to go back to FDR. At least he had the good sense to die in office.
    [/b][/quote]

FDR's second term was actually pretty problematic. Huge fight with the Supreme Court over the New Deal legislation leading to his ill-fated Court packing plan. Lack of leadership in dealing with the growing threat in Europe, etc.

Moon

Comment

[/b][/quote]

Imus had a Clinton impersonater on this morning -- who said welcome to the second term George -- its all about indictments this go around.
      "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

[/b][/quote]

Demo-Libs are going to be angry at you for throwing Clinton under the bus with Reagan and Dubya. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/gun2.gif[/img]
        I'm here until I'm gone, then I'm somewhere else!

Comment

QUOTE(FAR52 @ Oct 27 2005, 09:12 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Imus had a Clinton impersonater on this morning -- who said welcome to the second term George -- its all about indictments this go around.
          [/b][/quote]

Imus is such a fine and respectable radio host. If he said it, it must be true.
          I wonder how many idiotstick jackasses actually buy his clothing and jewelry. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/w00t.gif[/img]
          I'm here until I'm gone, then I'm somewhere else!

Comment

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Oct 27 2005, 07:04 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I'll take Clinton's second term, as it involved four years of peace and prosperity and a (brief) return to fiscal sanity in Washington. The impeachment was an artificial scandal that didn't even put a dent in his approval ratings.

But it is true that second terms have not gone all that great. You left out Truman going into Korea and taking such a dive in public opinion that he didn't dare run for re-election in 1952.

Then there was Woodrow Wilson botching the Versailles conference, having a stroke, and then recklessly refusing to accept some not-too-onerous amendments to the Versailles Treaty, dooming it to failure in the Senate.

Teddy Roosevelt, not doing a whole bunch in his second term after seizing the Isthmus of Panama and ending the Russo-Japanese war in his first four years, and then stupidly leaving the White House when he could have been re-elected until he croaked.

I dunno, how did Grover Cleveland do?
            Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

QUOTE(kah @ Oct 27 2005, 08:26 AM) Quoted post

I dunno, how did Grover Cleveland do?
              [/b][/quote]

Pitched Cardinals to World Series victory. Ah, those were the days.
              "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
              --Albert Einstein

Comment

QUOTE(kah @ Oct 27 2005, 09:26 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Oct 27 2005, 07:04 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I'll take Clinton's second term, as it involved four years of peace and prosperity and a (brief) return to fiscal sanity in Washington. The impeachment was an artificial scandal that didn't even put a dent in his approval ratings.
                [/b][/quote]

Artificial scandal, artificial peace, as it turned out. But hey, Kah, however you want to frame it.
                The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Working...
                X