• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miers withdraws her nomination

Just heard on the radio.
    "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Here's the story from CNN

Miers withdraws nomination

Thursday, October 27, 2005; Posted: 9:03 a.m. EDT (13:03 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush on Thursday accepted the withdrawal of Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers, according to a statement from the White House.

In the statement, Miers said her nomination presented a "burden for the White House."

Miers, the White House counsel, was nominated earlier this month by President Bush to replace retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor on the high court.

On Wednesday, White House spokesman Scott McClellan dismissed the suggestion that senators have been reluctant to come out in support of Miers because they are unimpressed with her as a nominee.

"I think you're seeing a lot of members of the Senate saying, 'We want to hear what she has to say in the hearings,' before they make a judgment," he said. "With Harriet Miers, there are many in the Senate that simply did not know her previously, although she is widely respected within the legal profession."

Senators had hoped to begin confirmation hearings next week.[/b][/quote]

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

She didn't have the votes, this was for the best......I think several Republicans would have voted against her.

Comment

Probably the best advice she`s given Bush in awhile.
        "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

Matrem tuam pedicavi

"I kinda dig Johnson" -Triggercut

Comment

Miers withdraws Supreme Court nomination
          Conservative Republicans were among those with concerns

Updated: 9:16 a.m. ET Oct. 27, 2005
          WASHINGTON - Confronted with criticism from both liberals and conservatives, Harriet Miers on Thursday withdrew her nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court.

In a statement, President Bush said he “reluctantly accepted” her decision to withdraw, after weeks of insisting that he did not want her to step down.

Bush blamed her withdrawal on calls in the Senate for the release of internal White House documents that the administration has insisted were protected by executive privilege.

[/b][/quote]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9837151/
          Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

The whole situation was bizarre.
            Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Oct 27 2005, 08:37 AM) Quoted post

The whole situation was bizarre.
              [/b][/quote]

It's simple really. Here is a reasonable interpretation of these events that I read over at the National Review:

The Bush/Rove cabal scheduled the soft retirement of O'Connor prior to the demise of Rehnquist (someone is looking into this, I assume), allowing for Roberts to leapfrog to Chief Justice while the Fitzgerald Grand Jury prepared for indictments so Miers was set up to be knocked down the day before thus hiding the Rove/Libby outing of the already oft outted CIA agent, Plame.

So simple, really.[/b][/quote]

http://corner.nationalreview.com/

Comment

now with super merge action

Comment

I bet Bush nominates Jerry Falwell next....................
                  --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                  --Suck it cubbies.
                  --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

Here is a link to her withdrawl letter if anyone is interested:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1027051miers1.html

Comment

QUOTE(FAR52 @ Oct 27 2005, 08:48 AM) Quoted post

Here is a link to her withdrawl letter if anyone is interested:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1027051miers1.html
                      [/b][/quote]

wow..that was fucking quick.

Comment

On Wednesday, White House spokesman Scott McClellan dismissed the suggestion that senators have been reluctant to come out in support of Miers because they are unimpressed with her as a nominee.

"I think you're seeing a lot of members of the Senate saying, 'We want to hear what she has to say in the hearings,' before they make a judgment," he said. "With Harriet Miers, there are many in the Senate that simply did not know her previously, although she is widely respected within the legal profession."[/b][/quote]

Now, had all Republicans endorsed Miers, Scotty boy would be saying her withdrawal was because of those pesky Democrats.

Ari wouldn't have been so transparent, Scott.

Comment

Scott McClelland = Baghdad Bob

I dont know what to think about this, because I didnt know much about Miers.

But I guess just the fact that she was a Bush ass-kisser makes it a good thing.
                          “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Man, he's pretty much got all his friends and advisers in key positions. Who's left for the Supreme Court -- his mom? She wouldn't have to wear a powdered wig.
                            "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                            --Albert Einstein

Comment

I'll be damned.

I never thought he'd cave on this. This is a man who has grown accustomed to having the Congress bend to his will on every single issue, all the time, without fail. This is a man who STILL has not felt it necessary to veto one single bill, after nearly five years in office.

And he caves on Miers. This is really a big moment. This is the sign of a man who has no political capital with anyone. He didn't bail on Miers b/c the Democrats were going to go all scorched-earth on him, he bailed because his OWN DAMN PARTY was in revolt.

Amazing.

BTW, dollars to doughnuts the nail in the coffin is this Miers speech from 1993. Daily Kos story that quotes from National Review.
                              Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X