Sterling Marlin to drive for MB2 Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterling Marlin to drive for MB2 Racing

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Sterling Marlin was hired to drive for MB2 Motorsports next season, and the team will let him switch his car number to 14 in memory of his late father.

Also, Bill Davis Racing said Wednesday that Scott Wimmer will not be back for the 2006 NASCAR season.

Wimmer joined BDR as a Busch Series driver in 2001 and won five races before Davis moved him up to the Cup series in late 2003. His third-place finish in the 2004 Daytona 500 has been his lone bright spot.

"This is the part of this business I don't like,'' Davis said. "Change isn't always the easiest thing to do, but it is usually the best thing for everyone.

"Scott is going to be successful, and he most definitely still has a promising career ahead of him as a race car driver.''

Davis did not announce a replacement for Wimmer. He is expanding to two cars next season, and Michael Waltrip is scheduled to drive the new entry.

Marlin has driven the No. 40 since 1998, when he was hired by car owner Felix Sabates. Marlin remained in the car when Chip Ganassi took over majority ownership in 2001 and won four races with the team.

Marlin also led in the standings for 25 consecutive weeks in 2002 until a broken neck sidelined him the final seven races of that season.

Ganassi announced earlier this season that he was replacing Marlin next year with Busch Series driver David Stremme.

MB2 Motorsports took Marlin to replace Scott Riggs, moving to Evernham Motorsports at the end of the Nextel Cup season. Riggs drove the No. 10 Chevrolet, but the team will switch it to No. 14, the number once used by Coo Coo Marlin, who died in August.

Coo Coo Marlin used that number for most of his NASCAR career. His son, a two-time Daytona 500 winner, said earlier this week that he'll probably race another two years.

"I still have some unfinished business as a driver and that's why I am really excited about joining MB2 Motorsports,'' Marlin said. "And to drive a car with the same number that my father drove makes the move even more special.''
    Official Lounge Sponsor:
    The New Orleans Saints, Blue Moon Belgian Ale, Peter Gammons, and Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

How will history remember the Scott Wimmer era?

Pr0nStar: when did you become Skippy, anyway?
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 26 2005, 04:48 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Actually I'm surprised he didn't scoop this first. I'm surprisingly quick for my advanced years.
      Official Lounge Sponsor:
      The New Orleans Saints, Blue Moon Belgian Ale, Peter Gammons, and Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

Comment

QUOTE(Johnny H @ Oct 26 2005, 04:51 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 26 2005, 04:48 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Actually I'm surprised he didn't scoop this first. I'm surprisingly quick for my advanced years.
        [/b][/quote]

I usually try to post NASCAR stuff that will have more mass appeal since I'm aware of the, ahem, unpleasantness towards NASCAR by some here. But since it's been brought up, I've known Scott and his family for a while and this is actually the best thing that could happen to him. For more of my thoughts on the topic, visit my Sports Cartel-sponsored site, www.thespeedzoneonline.com.

See what I did there? That's what we in the business call "a plug"...
        The OFFICIAL Lounge Sponsor of:

Comment

I dig teh NASCAR!

Where do you think Wimmer will end up?
          Official Lounge Sponsor:

Comment

QUOTE(Johnny H @ Oct 26 2005, 05:04 PM) Quoted post

I dig teh NASCAR!

[/b][/quote]

I personally would love to see him get at least a one-year deal in one of the potentially-vacant Roush Racing cars to show people he can still race. However, what I see happening is him being offered a Busch Series ride with Joe Gibbs Racing that will lead to him returning to the Cup Series with Gibbs in a year or two...probably the 18 car...

Comment

So Yeley & Hamlin will be heading elsewhere?

I have a hard time believing that JGR would invest that much time & money in to them, just to let them go elsewhere.

I'll try to call in this PM...you're on this week, right?
              Official Lounge Sponsor:

Comment

QUOTE(skippy05 @ Oct 26 2005, 05:14 PM) Quoted post

I dig teh NASCAR!

[/b][/quote]

I personally would love to see him get at least a one-year deal in one of the potentially-vacant Roush Racing cars to show people he can still race. However, what I see happening is him being offered a Busch Series ride with Joe Gibbs Racing that will lead to him returning to the Cup Series with Gibbs in a year or two...probably the 18 car...
                [/b][/quote]

Hey, Skippy, what do you think of the Jack Roush show "ROUSH RACING: DRIVER X" on the Discovery channel that debuted Monday? Did you see it?

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/driverx/...ick=dsc_leftnav

Comment

Nascar just hasn't been the same since Dick Trickle went to ARTGO.

Comment

QUOTE(ksbluesfan @ Oct 26 2005, 05:31 PM) Quoted post

Nascar just hasn't been the same since Dick Trickle went to ARTGO.
                    [/b][/quote]

heh heh, you said Dick Trickle.
                    Official Lounge Sponsor:

Comment

QUOTE(Johnny H @ Oct 26 2005, 05:18 PM) Quoted post

I have a hard time believing that JGR would invest that much time & money in to them, just to let them go elsewhere.

[/b][/quote]

Hamlin's not going anywhere...he's going to be the real deal...Yeley I have my doubts about. Plus, I'm not entirely convinced Stewart will be around forever...I think Wimmer would be very smart to take a good Busch ride with JGR and realize he could run for a championship and probably get a good Cup ride in a few years...

...and yes, we're on tonight at 7...Rusty's son, Stephen, will be on with us...

Comment

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Oct 26 2005, 05:27 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(skippy05 @ Oct 26 2005, 05:14 PM) Quoted post

I dig teh NASCAR!

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Hey, Skippy, what do you think of the Jack Roush show "ROUSH RACING: DRIVER X" on the Discovery channel that debuted Monday? Did you see it?

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/driverx/...ick=dsc_leftnav
                        [/b][/quote]

I didn't...I heard it wasn't bad...I know a couple drivers who participated and they said it was pretty interesting...

Comment

QUOTE(skippy05 @ Oct 26 2005, 05:34 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Johnny H @ Oct 26 2005, 05:18 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Hamlin's not going anywhere...he's going to be the real deal...Yeley I have my doubts about. Plus, I'm not entirely convinced Stewart will be around forever...I think Wimmer would be very smart to take a good Busch ride with JGR and realize he could run for a championship and probably get a good Cup ride in a few years...

...and yes, we're on tonight at 7...Rusty's son, Stephen, will be on with us...
                          [/b][/quote]

I'm on board w/that, Hamlin has much more of an upside than Yeley.
                          Official Lounge Sponsor:

Comment

Working...
                          X