• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight A middle school students - shafted by the Birds

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stor...89?OpenDocument

Cards' A Student program will be scaled back in '06
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/24/2005

Middle schoolers will no longer be able to participate in a decades-old program that provides free Cardinals tickets to students whose grades are equivalent to an A-minus average or better. The reason cited: fewer seats in the new Busch Stadium.

The program will be limited to high schoolers. And each student will be eligible for two free tickets to a game instead of four.
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

I thought the same thing you did, till I read the whole article...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

A team had to pay for a stadium by themselves and NOW they want to sell tickets instead of giving them away?!?!?!?!1

There are no words to describe my outrage.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Smaller Stadium = Fewer Tickets

Get over it. You will still have 4 years of free tickets.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 26 2005, 12:28 PM) Quoted post
          I thought the same thing you did, till I read the whole article... [/b][/quote]

Your a wiseass -

And your right.

The marketing department decided to cut the middle schools because the newspaper also teams up with the baseball franchise for the Cardinals in the Classroom program, which includes a buy-one-get-one-free ticket offer for students in kindergarten through the eighth grade. That program is open to schools participating in Newspapers in Education, a free six-week curriculum program involving newspapers.

"The A Student program is one of many components to that (NIE). Our focus is for teachers to provide sound educational opportunities for their students, not to provide Cardinals tickets," Maher said.

And middle schoolers will get their chance to strive for free Cardinals tickets. They just have to wait a couple of years.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Teh horror......
            "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

Matrem tuam pedicavi

"I kinda dig Johnson" -Triggercut

Comment

Two free tickets instead of four?

Oh.the.humanity. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif[/img]

Capitalistic pigs!

Comment

QUOTE(Schwahalala @ Oct 26 2005, 12:31 PM) Quoted post

Your a wiseass[/b][/quote]

I can see why you'd be outraged. I mean, with grammar like that it's clear that you didn't qualify for those free tickets.

Comment

Your a wiseass -

And your right.

The marketing department decided to cut the middle schools because the newspaper also teams up with the baseball franchise for the Cardinals in the Classroom program, which includes a buy-one-get-one-free ticket offer for students in kindergarten through the eighth grade. That program is open to schools participating in Newspapers in Education, a free six-week curriculum program involving newspapers.

"The A Student program is one of many components to that (NIE). Our focus is for teachers to provide sound educational opportunities for their students, not to provide Cardinals tickets," Maher said.

And middle schoolers will get their chance to strive for free Cardinals tickets. They just have to wait a couple of years.
                  [/b][/quote]
                  I really wasn't trying to be -- I read the headline in the paper and thought 'hey, the moneygrubbers' and than it struck me that....

a) fewer seats (and till like July, even fewer)
                  b) it makes it a bit more easier if the kids can drive down there themselves, which there would be a greater chance of the student doing so in the new rules
                  c) two tix instead of four makes a whole lotta sense b/c giving away four is ridiculous (having worked in the ticket office, it would become a pain in the ass dealing w/ these people b/c they'd want more free tickets b/c they had to cart their families down there)

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                  Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                  -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Oct 26 2005, 12:33 PM) Quoted post

Your a wiseass[/b][/quote]

I can see why you'd be outraged. I mean, with grammar like that it's clear that you didn't qualify for those free tickets.

[/b][/quote]

You have proven worthy young scholar

Ha - I was showing my intelligence by deliberately misspelling you're to see if any one caught it.

Now for test number two. Here is my checkbook balance - please find out where I have hidden my millions an email their whereabouts to me.

Check Book Balance for Schwahalala = 0.12

Thank you.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Can a brotha get a link that actually works?

Thanks..
                      The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

QUOTE(lasvegasreb @ Oct 26 2005, 12:38 PM) Quoted post

Thanks..
                        [/b][/quote]

you're not a brotha.

racist.
                        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                        MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                        The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 26 2005, 12:38 PM) Quoted post

Thanks..
                          [/b][/quote]

you're not a brotha.

racist.
                          [/b][/quote]

???

I'm not?
                          The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 26 2005, 12:34 PM) Quoted post

Your a wiseass -

And your right.

[/b][/quote]
                            I really wasn't trying to be -- I read the headline in the paper and thought 'hey, the moneygrubbers' and than it struck me that....

a) fewer seats (and till like July, even fewer)
                            b) it makes it a bit more easier if the kids can drive down there themselves, which there would be a greater chance of the student doing so in the new rules
                            c) two tix instead of four makes a whole lotta sense b/c giving away four is ridiculous (having worked in the ticket office, it would become a pain in the ass dealing w/ these people b/c they'd want more free tickets b/c they had to cart their families down there) [/b][/quote]

Wiseass is a team of endearment for me.

After a hurricane in Rhode Island once - I went to the local hardware store to pick up some things for a group home. When I got out of my van a security guard approached me and said sir you can't park your vehicle there. I said, excuse me sir, but all the cars are parked here. The security guard said - well they are all wrong too. I said, sir all 50 of them are wrong but I have to move? The security guard said yeah. I said, Mr. you just do what you have to do and I will be right out in 5 minutes. The security guard looked at me and said.

Your a wiseass aren't you?

I said no sir.

The security guard said yes you are - go ahead.

So two weeks later I find out the security guard is a woman. A butch lesbian woman (really I met her and her girlfriend) - but a woman no less - and that's why she kept saying I was a wiseass because I kept saying sir and Mr. Hey - she had on a coat and glasses. She was flatter that a frying pan up top and had as much facial hair as any 20 year old young man. I called it as I saw it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

QUOTE(lasvegasreb @ Oct 26 2005, 12:40 PM) Quoted post
                              QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 26 2005, 12:38 PM) Quoted post

Thanks..
                              [/b][/quote]

you're not a brotha.

racist.
                              [/b][/quote]

???

I'm not?

[/b][/quote]

Try this -

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stor...89?OpenDocument

Don't know why the other one quit.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Working...
                              X