ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/25/2005
    Rick Hummel
    Baseball Columnist Rick Hummel
    [More columns]
    [Rick's Biography]

RICK HUMMEL

HOUSTON

The Houston Astros believe their home-field advantage is accentuated by having the roof on Minute Maid Park closed, no matter what the weather is going to be - and it's supposed to be delightful tonight at the start for Game 3 of the World Series, with temperatures in the 60s. The low later on, however, is scheduled to be 43.

If they had won one of the first two games or even both of them from the Chicago White Sox at chilly, rainy U.S. Cellular Field, the Astros might feel differently about having the roof closed. But, while they're not in a position of desperation, they are in one of urgency and they know their record, counting postseason play, is 40-18 this year when the roof has been closed for the whole game. That includes a 4-1 mark in this postseason, with the only blemish being Albert Pujols' game-winning homer that might have left Harris County if the roof hadn't been on.

With the roof open, the Astros are only 15-11, with two games played with both the roof open and closed.

"The roof's been closed all year," said Houston reliever Russ Springer, exaggerating slightly. "It would be nice to have a home-field advantage.

"They definitely had theirs with the weather and everything and they used it."

But how can Springer or the Astros contend that that was White Sox weather over the weekend? The White Sox rarely are playing in October. That was Bears weather Sunday, and the Monsters of the Midway seized the moment to score 10 points in beating Baltimore.

A commissioner's spokesman said that Major League Baseball will decide today, in concert with the Astros and even the White Sox, whether the roof will be open or closed. The Astros contend that the roar of the crowd with the roof closed gives the home team a huge advantage, although often here in football-mad Texas, baseball fans are told by the scoreboard when to cheer.

It seems implausible that Houston ace Roy Oswalt, who will work tonight, needs any artificial assistance. With the roof open last Wednesday - as it always was at soon-to-be dearly departed Busch Stadium - Oswalt shut down the Cardinals 5- 1 to win the National League Championship Series.

The commissioner's spokesman said it was his understanding that the Astros generally closed the roof when the temperature was over 80 degrees outside, and when under 80 the roof was open. But in at least one of the playoff games with the Cardinals this month, the temperature was in the 70s, with no rain in sight, and the roof was on.

Major League Baseball indeed has taken a stand on this matter before, but that was when Sandy Alderson, who is with San Diego now, was in charge of such things in the commissioner's office. In Phoenix during the 2001 World Series, the roof was open for all four home games the Arizona Diamondbacks had with the New York Yankees, even though staff aces Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling preferred it be closed. Johnson and Schilling won all four games for the Diamondbacks.

The Diamondbacks' general manager then, Joe Garagiola Jr., now has the job Alderson had with Major League Baseball.

The Jefferson connection

For the first eight innings of the White Sox's 7-6 win over Houston in Game 2 on Sunday, the Chicago pitching was done by two Jefferson College alumni, Mark Buehrle (seven innings) and Cliff Politte (one).

Rick Fiala, the assistant coach who recruited both players for Jefferson, watched on television in St. Louis nearly beside himself.

"I was so nervous," said Fiala, who now assists his brother Neil at Southwestern Illinois College. "To see Mark pitch and then to see Cliff blow them away in the eighth was awesome. Just think, two Jefferson College players come into a World Series game back-to-back. It was a proud feeling."

Jefferson College coach Dave Oster, who is retiring after 25 years, has had a couple of other pitchers appear in major league postseason play, including Donne Wall with San Diego in the World Series in 1998 and Mike Henneman in the American League Championship Series with Detroit in 1987 and Texas in the division series in 1996.

But Buehrle and Politte, both of whom became junior college All-Americas under Jefferson pitching coach Bob Williams, were believed to be the first Jefferson College products to appear in the same winning World Series game.
    [/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

This seems so random to me. And it goes in line with MLB and the way they handle things. Why are they suddenly arbitrarily going to force the Astros to open the roof when they've never done it in the past? Things that make you go hmmm....
    *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

QUOTE(dhaab @ Oct 25 2005, 03:56 PM) Quoted post

This seems so random to me. And it goes in line with MLB and the way they handle things. Why are they suddenly arbitrarily going to force the Astros to open the roof when they've never done it in the past? Things that make you go hmmm....
      [/b][/quote]

Fucking east coast bias.....
      I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Nevermind, just read that MLB has the right to tell the clubs what to do during the World Series.
        *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

QUOTE(dhaab @ Oct 25 2005, 04:19 PM) Quoted post

Nevermind, just read that MLB has the right to tell the clubs what to do during the World Series.
          [/b][/quote]
          Like they did to the BlueJays in the early 90s?

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 25 2005, 04:19 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(dhaab @ Oct 25 2005, 04:19 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
            Like they did to the BlueJays in the early 90s?
            [/b][/quote]

Are you asking me? I can't remember what I did last Tuesday. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Bud Selig is a jackass. If you're not making them keep the roof open for the NLDS or NLCS, why start now? This is part of the point of having a retractable roof, to decide when you want it open or closed. I don't think Bud should implement this, and I don't even want the Astros to win.
              In Construction

(the move messed it up)

Comment

QUOTE(Brosnan2715 @ Oct 25 2005, 05:08 PM) Quoted post

Bud Selig is a jackass. If you're not making them keep the roof open for the NLDS or NLCS, why start now? This is part of the point of having a retractable roof, to decide when you want it open or closed. I don't think Bud should implement this, and I don't even want the Astros to win.
                [/b][/quote]
                ++

My feelings as well.
                --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                --Suck it cubbies.
                --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

[/b][/quote]
                  It's their show, so they can and will...

Comment

Gotta be able to see the blimp$ flying overhead.
                    Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

its just another excuse for the asstros to bitch about something. how about focusing on the ass whipping you are about to take you bunch of pricks.

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 25 2005, 05:12 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                        [/b][/quote]
                        I'm not saying it's not within their power.
                        I'm saying it's stupid and they shouldn't.
                        In Construction

(the move messed it up)

Comment

QUOTE(Brosnan2715 @ Oct 25 2005, 05:18 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 25 2005, 05:12 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                          [/b][/quote]
                          I'm not saying it's not within their power.
                          I'm saying it's stupid and they shouldn't.
                          [/b][/quote]
                          It's the money, baby....if the Astros can't 'overcome' their own building's design, too bad...

Comment

I think I am going to write an article about my feelings about the roof being closed. Seems like everyone has done it already, I may as well.
                            Sponsor of:
                            Brian Elliott
                            Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                            5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

QUOTE(Guppy @ Oct 25 2005, 04:24 PM) Quoted post

I think I am going to write an article about my feelings about the roof being closed. Seems like everyone has done it already, I may as well.
                              [/b][/quote]

I'd read it.

Wilbon had a good point. The league owns the championship round. It is arbitrary, though.
                              His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
                              Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Working...
                              X