X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granik leaving NBA after 22 years

Granik to leave NBA
    NBA deputy commissioner to vacate post after season
    Posted: Tuesday October 25, 2005 2:34PM; Updated: Tuesday October 25, 2005 2:36PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- Russ Granik will leave his job as NBA deputy commissioner following this season after 22 years as second in command to David Stern.

Granik will be a senior adviser to the commissioner after this season. He will remain the league's main representative to USA Basketball and board chairman of the Basketball Hall of Fame.

"Everyone in the NBA family is well aware of the enormity of his contributions to the success and growth of the league," Stern said Tuesday at the annual NBA Board of Governors meeting. "For over two decades, Russ has been responsible for the day-to-day operation of the league."

Stern lauded Granik for his role as the NBA's chief negotiator for the last four collective bargaining agreements. Granik was involved in network television contracts and helped oversee expansion from 22 to 30 teams. He was instrumental in NBA players competing in the Olympics.

Stern said the 57-year-old Granik wanted to make the move earlier but was persuaded to stay one more season.

"I felt the time was right for me to get off the treadmill for a while," Granik said. "I greatly appreciate all the opportunities David and the NBA owners have afforded me for personal accomplishment in this job."

Granik joined the NBA in 1976 as a staff attorney and became general counsel in 1980. In 1990, Granik was elected deputy commissioner.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/bask...k.ap/index.html [/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Next job - President of the St. Louis Blues
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Working...
    X