Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scouts Inc: Brad Smith's stock on the rise

Brad Smith, QB, Missouri
    Missouri's 41-point offensive explosion Saturday was timely. Smith's confidence was fragile after he left the Iowa State game with a concussion and watched heavily hyped freshman QB Chase Daniel lead a dramatic come-from-behind victory two weeks ago. Gary Pinkel, who entered the season on one of the "hottest" coaching seats in the country, resisted the temptation to start Daniel versus the Cornhuskers, and his senior quarterback repaid the loyal gesture with arguably the most dynamic performance of his career. Smith's 480 yards of total offense (246 rushing, 234 passing) lifted Missouri to a 41-24 win over rival Nebraska, which also catapulted the Tigers into first place in the Big 12 North. A similar effort might be needed when the team travels to Colorado on Nov. 5 for a game that could decide the division. [/b][/quote]
    Read aboot'it here

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

So what position does this guy play in the pros? Do we even know if he can run routes and catch the ball?
    On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

I'll tell you one thing - there are very few times when you get to see Brad Smith just flat out sprint. I remember always thinking he was slow until I saw him knife through TTech last year and then outrun 2 cornerbacks easily. He's generally more like Faulk when he gets the ball ... survey the field, make moves, but never go 100%.

But we got to see it again against Nebraska on Saturday. I'd assume WR. He's tall and can run. But a team could also have fun with him on 3rd downs and run QB keepers with him. He'll play somewhere with that speed.
      Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

WR. Longshot/project at CB, maybe. He's not thick enough to play anywhere else on Sundays.
        The Dude abides.

Comment

QUOTE(chiguy @ Oct 25 2005, 07:00 AM) Quoted post

So what position does this guy play in the pros? Do we even know if he can run routes and catch the ball?
          [/b][/quote]

Safety for Martz, wherever he is coaching.

Moon

Comment

Smith projects to be a WR.

He's got deceptive speed. It looks like he's not moving quickly, but he has a very long stride and has been timed at 4.3.

With his abilities, he could very well be a first day pick.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

What is Smiths height and weight?
              You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

QUOTE(Nasty Nate @ Oct 25 2005, 09:24 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

6' 2"

The 210 looks generous, to me.
                The Dude abides.

Comment

His attitude and him being a good guy isn't going to hurt his stock either.
                  Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

QUOTE(Moe_Szyslak @ Oct 25 2005, 08:25 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

6' 2"

[/b][/quote]

I was talking to CSD about where Vince Young projects in the NFL, I loosely mentioned DE, CSD told me no chance...which he is probably correct on...but I swear Young looks like a monster on the field compared to pretty much everyone else in college football. The dude has gotta be 6'6" 250 (at least), though he is listed at 6'5" 230.
                    You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

QUOTE(Nasty Nate @ Oct 25 2005, 09:31 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Moe_Szyslak @ Oct 25 2005, 08:25 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

6' 2"

[/b][/quote]

I was talking to CSD about where Vince Young projects in the NFL, I loosely mentioned DE, CSD told me no chance...which he is probably correct on...but I swear Young looks like a monster on the field compared to pretty much everyone else in college football. The dude has gotta be 6'6" 250 (at least), though he is listed at 6'5" 230.
                      [/b][/quote]

4.4 speed.

He'll probably be listed as a WR/TE in the draft, and will play whatever the team that drafts him needs him the most.

He reminds me of Matt Jones.

I just can't see him as a QB in the NFL.
                      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

As fast as Smith is, don't forget he got ran down on a flat out sprint against Nebraska. We're not talking Matt Jones level speed here. His strength really is elusiveness.
                        On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

His arm is awful. Very erratic. He'll get no consideration at QB in the NFL. CFL, maybe.

He is a student of the game, could turn himself into a good route runner and would give DBs big trouble in the open field. Worth a gamble, given his intangibles.
                          The Dude abides.

Comment

QUOTE(chiguy @ Oct 25 2005, 09:35 AM) Quoted post

As fast as Smith is, don't forget he got ran down on a flat out sprint against Nebraska. We're not talking Matt Jones level speed here. His strength really is elusiveness.
                            [/b][/quote]

Jones' best 40 time is a 4.37.

Smith is more explosive....he can get to his top speed much quicker...like a WR should do.

Jones probably has a higher top speed, though.

Comment

I think the other thing helping Smith and Young in the draft is that they can be the 3rd or emergency QB....meaning their teams can carry one less QB.

Extra roster spots are valuable.

Comment

Working...
                              X