X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packers lose Green due to thigh tear

Packers lose Green for year with thigh tear
    Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Packers running back Ahman Green is out for the season with a torn thigh tendon, the latest in a string of severe injuries to befall Green Bay.

Coach Mike Sherman said Monday that Green will undergo surgery this week to repair his right thigh tendon, which was torn in the fourth quarter of the Packers' 23-20 loss at Minnesota on Sunday.

Sherman also said wide receiver Robert Ferguson will miss up to a month with a torn lateral cruciate ligament in his left knee, which he injured in the first quarter Sunday.

Green, who struggled this season after four straight trips to the Pro Bowl, went down hard on his right knee when he was tackled by linebacker E.J. Henderson with 8 minutes left and was carted off the field. He sustained the same injury on Oct. 3 and sat out the following game against New Orleans. He gained 49 yards on 16 carries against the Vikings.

For the season, Green had 255 yards on 77 carries for a career-low 3.3-yard average and no touchdowns _ not the type of season anybody expected out of the 28-year-old Green in a contract year.

Sherman said Green would be able to return by next summer.

Green is the fourth key player to sustain a season-ending injury, joining Pro Bowl wide receiver Javon Walker (ACL), backup running back Najeh Davenport (ankle) and rookie receiver/returner Terrence Murphy (neck).

Walker and Davenport also aren't under contract for next year.

The Packers (1-5) will be without their top two running backs and three of their top receivers as they head into a brutal stretch in which they face Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Minnesota and Philadelphia.

"If you can't handle that part of the game, then you're in the wrong game whether you're a player or a coach," Sherman said. "Against a very good Cincinnati team we have to find a way, and it's not going to be easy but we have to find a way." [/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Good thing I rejected a trade proposal for him last week.

Comment

Damn!

Oh well, my ESPN Pay League team went 0-6 with him in the lineup and we can go 0-6 without him.
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

damn just the sound of that....thigh tear....hurts
        Sponsor of:
        Brian Elliott
        Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
        5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

I really should quit sponsoring people...there is nothing but doom destined for them.
          Feb. 08, 2005
          Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
          Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
          Originally posted by Airshark
          NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

I think they brought him back too early.

Comment

Working...
            X