Woo Hoo!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woo Hoo!!!

About 18 months of working here without being able to tell anyone what we're doing - well now the cat's out of the bag...

Chip maker emerges from stealth mode

By Dean Takahashi

Mercury News

It isn't easy to hide a 150-employee microprocessor chip start-up in Silicon Valley.

But Dan Dobberpuhl managed to do it for two years, and he had his reasons. For one, he had to keep his product secret from much bigger rivals.

Concealing his team inside two floors of the McAfee high-rise building in Santa Clara, he asked new recruits to get on board without knowing what the company was doing. Once they were working, he asked them not to tell their spouses what they were working on.

``It was tricky to hire people without telling them what they would do,'' he said. ``We had to say, `Trust us. It's good.' ''

Dobberpuhl is taking the wraps off his stealth company, P.A. Semi, today at the Fall Processor Forum in San Jose. P.A. Semi has a team of all-star chip designers who are creating a variant of the PowerPC microprocessor that balances low-power consumption with high performance.

The chips could be built into lightweight networked electronics, including a set-top box that could store digital media such as movies or music in the living room as securely as any corporate network. And it capitalizes on Dobberpuhl's heritage as a pioneer in chip design.

Dobberpuhl was among the first to notice that power consumption was the fundamental problem to tackle in designing chips, because as chips get faster and faster, they produce more and more heat and even run the risk of melting down. That's a lesson that just about every chip maker now recognizes. And that kind of vision was one reason why Dobberpuhl's last start-up sold for $2.2 billion.

``We have made some breakthroughs and will set the bar in performance for every watt of power that the chip consumes,'' he said.

P.A. Semi's chip, dubbed the PWRficient Processor, is expected to make its debut next year in a variety of communications equipment. Dobberpuhl and his chief designers, Jim Keller and Pete Bannon, foresee a family of low-power PowerPC chips that could span everything from handhelds to video game consoles to supercomputers.

That business plan will put them into competition not only with smaller chip companies, it will also put them at odds with IBM, Motorola spin-off Freescale Semiconductor, Broadcom, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices and a variety of others. While P.A. Semi is puny compared to those competitors, it has star talent and a fanatical focus.

``The pedigree is awesome,'' said Nathan Brookwood, an analyst at Insight64 in Saratoga. ``These are all folks who have done this kind of work before.''

Dobberpuhl, Bannon and Keller all worked together at Digital Equipment Corp. Dobberpuhl moved to Palo Alto in 1993 and led the team that created the low-power StrongArm chip, which Intel later acquired and now uses as the flagship for its cell phone Xscale chips. Dobberpuhl and Keller struck gold at their previous chip start-up Sibyte, which they sold in 2001 to Broadcom for $2.2 billion.

P.A. Semi has negotiated a PowerPC license from IBM, and it has hired an unnamed contract manufacturer to build its chips in an advanced factory starting in 2006.

Dobberpuhl's idea was to start from scratch to make a power-efficient chip with tricks such as turning off parts of the chip that are idle. The company has applied for 50 patents.

The first chip will have two brains, or cores, on a single chip. In addition, the microprocessor will also include the functions of two other support chips.

The chip will run at 2.5 gigahertz, but will only consume 5 watts to 13 watts. Similar chips can consume five to 10 times that amount.

It remains to be seen if P.A. Semi targeted the right market. Kevin Krewell, editor in chief at the Microprocessor Report, believes the company originally wanted to make low-power PowerPC microprocessors for Apple Computer's laptops. But Apple's plan to migrate to Intel chips spoiled that.

P.A. Semi is also too late to get into the newest video game consoles from Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft -- all of which are using IBM PowerPC chips. Over time, Dobberpuhl thinks his company will have a good chance with future game machines.

``There are huge barriers when you start something brand new,'' Dobberpuhl said.[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

QUOTE(Blues Fan in SF @ Oct 24 2005, 11:28 AM) Quoted post

About 18 months of working here without being able to tell anyone what we're doing - well now the cat's out of the bag...

Chip maker emerges from stealth mode

By Dean Takahashi

Mercury News

It isn't easy to hide a 150-employee microprocessor chip start-up in Silicon Valley.

But Dan Dobberpuhl managed to do it for two years, and he had his reasons. For one, he had to keep his product secret from much bigger rivals.

Concealing his team inside two floors of the McAfee high-rise building in Santa Clara, he asked new recruits to get on board without knowing what the company was doing. Once they were working, he asked them not to tell their spouses what they were working on.

``It was tricky to hire people without telling them what they would do,'' he said. ``We had to say, `Trust us. It's good.' ''

Dobberpuhl is taking the wraps off his stealth company, P.A. Semi, today at the Fall Processor Forum in San Jose. P.A. Semi has a team of all-star chip designers who are creating a variant of the PowerPC microprocessor that balances low-power consumption with high performance.

The chips could be built into lightweight networked electronics, including a set-top box that could store digital media such as movies or music in the living room as securely as any corporate network. And it capitalizes on Dobberpuhl's heritage as a pioneer in chip design.

Dobberpuhl was among the first to notice that power consumption was the fundamental problem to tackle in designing chips, because as chips get faster and faster, they produce more and more heat and even run the risk of melting down. That's a lesson that just about every chip maker now recognizes. And that kind of vision was one reason why Dobberpuhl's last start-up sold for $2.2 billion.

``We have made some breakthroughs and will set the bar in performance for every watt of power that the chip consumes,'' he said.

P.A. Semi's chip, dubbed the PWRficient Processor, is expected to make its debut next year in a variety of communications equipment. Dobberpuhl and his chief designers, Jim Keller and Pete Bannon, foresee a family of low-power PowerPC chips that could span everything from handhelds to video game consoles to supercomputers.

That business plan will put them into competition not only with smaller chip companies, it will also put them at odds with IBM, Motorola spin-off Freescale Semiconductor, Broadcom, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices and a variety of others. While P.A. Semi is puny compared to those competitors, it has star talent and a fanatical focus.

``The pedigree is awesome,'' said Nathan Brookwood, an analyst at Insight64 in Saratoga. ``These are all folks who have done this kind of work before.''

Dobberpuhl, Bannon and Keller all worked together at Digital Equipment Corp. Dobberpuhl moved to Palo Alto in 1993 and led the team that created the low-power StrongArm chip, which Intel later acquired and now uses as the flagship for its cell phone Xscale chips. Dobberpuhl and Keller struck gold at their previous chip start-up Sibyte, which they sold in 2001 to Broadcom for $2.2 billion.

P.A. Semi has negotiated a PowerPC license from IBM, and it has hired an unnamed contract manufacturer to build its chips in an advanced factory starting in 2006.

Dobberpuhl's idea was to start from scratch to make a power-efficient chip with tricks such as turning off parts of the chip that are idle. The company has applied for 50 patents.

The first chip will have two brains, or cores, on a single chip. In addition, the microprocessor will also include the functions of two other support chips.

The chip will run at 2.5 gigahertz, but will only consume 5 watts to 13 watts. Similar chips can consume five to 10 times that amount.

It remains to be seen if P.A. Semi targeted the right market. Kevin Krewell, editor in chief at the Microprocessor Report, believes the company originally wanted to make low-power PowerPC microprocessors for Apple Computer's laptops. But Apple's plan to migrate to Intel chips spoiled that.

P.A. Semi is also too late to get into the newest video game consoles from Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft -- all of which are using IBM PowerPC chips. Over time, Dobberpuhl thinks his company will have a good chance with future game machines.

``There are huge barriers when you start something brand new,'' Dobberpuhl said.[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
    [/b][/quote]

Impressive.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
    -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Here's what I do for a living:

Gonzo is my biggest customer.

Well, he only buys from me once a month....but he's literally my BIGGEST customer.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 24 2005, 11:34 AM) Quoted post

Gonzo is my biggest customer.

Well, he only buys from me once a month....but he's literally my BIGGEST customer.
        [/b][/quote]
        No way, he has lost some weight. Are you sure it isn't Glovey?

That is mighty impressive BFiSF.
        Sponsor of:
        Brian Elliott
        Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
        5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

w0000t.

You know pgrote will be all over your jock now.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 24 2005, 10:34 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Does that say $1.10 for a All Beef Hot Dog? Who the fuck carries dimes around...
            Billikens.com

Comment

QUOTE(SluSignGuy @ Oct 24 2005, 11:40 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Does that say $1.10 for a All Beef Hot Dog? Who the fuck carries dimes around...
              [/b][/quote]

And by "All Beef Hot Dog", he mean cock.

And by "cock" he means penis.

Comment

QUOTE(Dr.Gonzo @ Oct 24 2005, 11:42 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

and by "penis" I mean Mostly Beef Hot Dog.
                MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(Dr.Gonzo @ Oct 24 2005, 10:42 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

You are his biggest customer, so I will take your word for it.
                  Billikens.com

Comment

QUOTE(SluSignGuy @ Oct 24 2005, 11:46 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Dr.Gonzo @ Oct 24 2005, 10:42 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

You are his biggest customer, so I will take your word for it.
                    [/b][/quote]

I always get the Polish Boy and stick the Hot Sausage in it.

Comment

Great stuff.
                      Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                      God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Sounds great, BFiSF!
                        RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                        You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

dual core 2.5GHz processor @ 13 watts?

That's crazy talk.

Sounds to me like someone will be bought out before they ever really hit the market.

Comment

I've heard BBZ's pitch from his cart one day....

"Open up your buns so I can slide in the 'dog"...no wonder his sales are slow....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 24 2005, 11:55 AM) Quoted post

I've heard BBZ's pitch from his cart one day....

"Open up your buns so I can slide in the 'dog"...no wonder his sales are slow....
                              [/b][/quote]

And by "buns" I mean paper shredders

And by "dog" I mean my already small and mangled penis

Comment

Working...
                              X