Sources: Saints likely done in New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sources: Saints likely done in New Orleans

I'm disappointed that the NFL is going to allow this to happen.

San Antonio is team's likely home next season

Saints owner Tom Benson declared this week that nothing will be decided on the franchise's future until after the season. But ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that, based on information from key league sources, the team has probably played its last game in New Orleans.

According to Mortensen, San Antonio is a likely home for 2006 and Los Angeles is the preferred destination beyond that. The NFL could still include New Orleans as a Super Bowl site when the city is reconstructed, and expansion might even be a possibility, but that's 10 to 15 years away.

If the Saints relocate to San Antonio or elsewhere, New Orleans has only a slim chance of ever seeing another NFL team, according to a major sports consultant.

Marc Ganis of SportsCorp Ltd. in Chicago served as a consultant to Cleveland in 1996 when that city's NFL team moved to Baltimore and the NFL guaranteed Cleveland a new team and allowed the city to keep the Browns' logos, colors and nickname.

Earlier this week, New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin said he wanted the "Cleveland deal" if the team relocates. Gov. Kathleen Blanco said she supported Nagin on such a plan.

But Ganis questioned the strategy.

"If I were advising Mayor Nagin, I would have given him the same advice that someone should have given the mayors of Baltimore and Houston," Ganis said. "Hold on to what you have. Do everything you have to hold on to what you've got, because there's no certainty to what will come next or what will come at all."

Houston lost the Oilers to Tennessee and later got the expansion Texans.

Ganis said New Orleans is already viewed as a small market struggling to remain financially competitive -- and most NFL owners oppose expanding beyond the present 32 teams.

Cleveland provided stout support for its new team with corporate dollars and businesses that generated tax money to build a new stadium, Ganis said.

"It's not the people," Ganis said of New Orleans' situation. "It's not the individuals who show up at the game and buy the tickets. The people are great. It's the business, or lack of, that's the primary factor. For whatever reason, the area simply does not have many strong and large businesses."

But Ganis and two other sports consultants said the issue includes a wild card -- compassion for a city devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

"When it's all said and done, the whole situation boils down to one thing -- how do these 32 owners feel about resolving New Orleans while protecting their franchise value?" said David Carter, a sports consultant in Los Angeles.

Dean Bonham, a sports consultant based in Denver, questioned whether the NFL would support a move to San Antonio, which like New Orleans is considered a small market, or whether the NFL could strike a deal to build or renovate a stadium equipped for a team in Los Angeles.

If neither San Antonio nor Los Angeles is adequately prepared to support an NFL team, Bonham said the Saints will likely remain in New Orleans.

"I would have to say the chances are 50-50 or less that you'll see the New Orleans Saints move from one city to another at this point," Bonham said.
    [/b][/quote]
    Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

I've had a feeling lately the Saints ultimate destination would be Los Angeles.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

I heard this too.

Probably going to play '06 in San Antonio, and speculation is that LA will finally get another team.

It's all about the Benjamins, I know...but I don't know if a transplanted team, especially one like the Saints, who don't have much of a winning history or tradition to latch onto, would be successful there.

On top of that, what a screw job to San Antonio...

"Hey, do us a favor...fill our coffers for a year and cheer for the Saints while we finalize a deal to get them to LA."

"Do we at least get a reacharound, Paul?"
      " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Build a new stadium for NO, a potential team, & Tulane.

If Minnesota doesn't get a new stadium, what's the chance that the NFL wouldn't move the Vikings to NO?

Owner Zygi Wilf has NO alliegance to Minnesota. He could seek to move to LA, himself.

Tom Benson is a jackoff. He should field an adept franchise, with an adept Head Coach before making deals.

I hope they rename the Alamo Dome, or a potential LA stadium, "Katrina Field."

Money Talks!

Comment

I don't think San Antonio would be a good market for the NFL (sorry Kayla). Moving the Saints there might be worse than putting a team in Jacksonville.
          Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

QUOTE(_STLfan_in_DFW @ Oct 23 2005, 11:08 AM) Quoted post

I heard this too.

Probably going to play '06 in San Antonio, and speculation is that LA will finally get another team.

It's all about the Benjamins, I know...but I don't know if a transplanted team, especially one like the Saints, who don't have much of a winning history or tradition to latch onto, would be successful there.

On top of that, what a screw job to San Antonio...

"Hey, do us a favor...fill our coffers for a year and cheer for the Saints while we finalize a deal to get them to LA."

"Do we at least get a reacharound, Paul?"
            [/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

NSFW
            http://www.moviesounds.com/fmj/mp3/cowboy.mp3

Comment

That is just brutal if that happens.
              Sponsor of:
              Brian Elliott
              Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
              5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

if i'm nagin and blanco i sue for every subsidy that team has gotten, plus damages on behalf of the people of NO
                Are you on the list?

Comment

QUOTE(SLUBLUE @ Oct 23 2005, 11:50 AM) Quoted post

if i'm nagin and blanco i sue for every subsidy that team has gotten, plus damages on behalf of the people of NO
                  [/b][/quote]
                  Nagin would be the idiot to do that
                  Sponsor of:
                  Brian Elliott

Comment

QUOTE(Guppy @ Oct 23 2005, 12:00 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                    [/b][/quote]
                    why?
                    Are you on the list?

Comment

[/b][/quote]
                      [/b][/quote]
                      How's that any different than usual? The guy, as Ganis said, basically shot his wad w/ the 'threat'....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Really, i think if conventional wisdom dictates that the NFL would NOT return to NO, Nagin needs to do everything he can to stand up for his city and torch the NFL....the league needs to start paying a price when it fucks over cities.
                        Are you on the list?

Comment

[/b][/quote]

Those two idiots?

I'd bet they're waiting for Bush to retain the lawyers for them.
                          And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 23 2005, 12:08 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                            [/b][/quote]
                            How's that any different than usual? The guy, as Ganis said, basically shot his wad w/ the 'threat'....
                            [/b][/quote]
                            nothing is unusual about it. That seems to be the norm for him.
                            Sponsor of:
                            Brian Elliott

Comment

QUOTE(Damtoft @ Oct 23 2005, 02:31 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Those two idiots?

I'd bet they're waiting for Bush to retain the lawyers for them.
                              [/b][/quote]

I doubt it. They have to know he's lawyering up for Scooter and Rove...
                              " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Working...
                              X