Random college football thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random college football thoughts

....while awaiting 210's posting of a thread for this week's poll.

- I'm convinced that the toughest conference in football this year is the Big 10, followed by the ACC. The offenses in that league are the best in the country, and it provides the most competitive, interesting football each weekend. Only Illinois (and, maybe, Indiana) is an easy game. I'm now a convert to Penn State, and think they will run the table and win the conference. If Ohio State wins out, I think they become the at-large BCS team.

- This will offend many of the SEC snobs in this part of the country, but this is clearly a sub-par year for the SEC. USA Today posted the conference's record against other BCS conferences, and it was not good. But records notwithstanding, it's obvious from the play you see each week. The offenses in the league are average at best, and there's just not a lot of good teams in the league. At the bottom, Kentucky and Mississippi State are bad football teams. (Houston can go to Starkville and win?) Arkansas, South Carolina, Vandy and Mississippi are not much better. (Vandy was a feel good story at the beginning of the year but that was built on victories over Arkansas and Mississippi) Next up the rung are Tennessee and Florida, who have done less with more this year than just about anybody in the nation. Somebody better start paying attention to the Urban Meyer offense at Florida, because it ain't working right now, in large part because it needs a qb who can take a hit, and Chris Leak isn't that guy. Alabama is living a charmed life, but they've made their name on two wins: Florida and Tennessee - which isn't saying much. They should have lost to Ole Miss and Tennessee (that was a painful game to watch yesterday), and they will have their comeuppance when they play LSU or Auburn. Georgia may win the East because they have no real competition (even with DJ Shocklye hurt), but they should have lost two games already (South Carolina and Arkansas) and they just haven't impressed since Boise State. The best two teams in the conference played last night at LSU. LSU, because of its talent, is a team that could probably play with anybody in the country on any given night. But they seem to find a way shoot themselves in the foot every game they play, so they could as easily stumble and lose as win. I think LSU will play Georgia in the championship game and the Tigers will win.

- Believe it or not, I'm really interested in this year's Citrus/CapitalOne/whatever they're calling it this year bowl. I think there's a good chance that Alabama will be the SEC rep to that game. And I think Michigan or Ohio State will be the Big 10 rep (sorry Northwestern fans but I don't think you can send as many folks to Orlando as those other teams do) and I think they'll cream the Tide.

- Pet Peeve #1 about college football announcers: What is the purpose of telling me that a player has "good speed?" What, exactly, is "bad speed?" Why not prove to us that a college diploma is a good thing and use proper English by saying that a player is "fast" or "speedy"?

- UCLA, Cal and Fresno State are all going to give it the good college try and will test USC for some portion of their games with the Trojans, but USC is simply too good to lose those games. Texas will only get tested for a brief while by Colorado in the Big 12 championship game (sorry Mizzou fans, but the Buffs are going to be the North's rep in that game) and will win that by double digits. I'm beginnig to think that Texas is almost on par with USC, and that the Rose Bowl is going to be a true heavyweight fight. However, I still will take any team coached by Carroll when he has a month to prepare over one coached by Mack Brown. Plus, USC will be far more battle tested than Texas when they meet.

- While USC may now rule the roost, Texas is set to dominate the college football world for a while. Brown has always been a masterful recruiter and analysts are saying that his class this year is light years ahead of anybody else. Georgia is considered to have the second best set of signings so far.

- The Va. Tech - Miami game is setting up to be a great heavyweight bout that no one is really anticipating. I think that game determines the ACC champion, because Fla. State can't contain a mobile qb (which means Va. Tech would beat them in the ACC Championship game) and nobody believes that FSU was or is a better team than Miami in the event that the Canes beat VPI. I think VPI is for real, and will run the table. If they do, expect the usual "they've been screwed by the system" wailing to reach ear splitting levels. The Hokies may be good, but I don't think they've demonstrated that they are better than Texas or USC. I won't consider it a crime against humanity if they have to play a Penn State or Ohio State in a bowl game. In fact, I'd like to see that game to see if Vick can solve those defenses.

- If for no other reason than Houston Nutt can't develop a qb and can't come up with an original play call, as evidence so clearly yesterday against Georgia, Frank Broyles should fire him at season's end. Whomever might inherit that job will get the best then-sophomore running back tandem in the country. Felix Jones and Darren MacFadden are having incredible years as freshmen, and few people know of them. But MacFadden has already peeled off 70 yard td runs against supposed defensive stalwarts Georgia and Alabama in their houses.

- There are some teams in college football that I can't figure out. What's happened to Arizona State? For that matter, what's gotten into Stanford? Michigan State continues to be a team that shows incredible strength one weekend, and pussycat failures the next. I know Northwestern is now the feel good story of the year, but are they really that much better than the Spartans? How do you figure out which Louisville team shows up? Willl Tennessee lead college football in most nfl draft picks on a team that lost every big game it played? How in the world did TCU lose to SMU?
    June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Good stuff. I'd like to add this point:

I have a man-crush on Reggie Bush.
    Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Keep an eye on this guy...

Much like Arizona's football program, Willie Tuitama has a soft, baby face, with no evidence of daily shaving.

He's still a kid in almost every way, 18 years young, with a modest laugh and easy manner that belies his competitive fire. His body language suggests he knows what he's getting into and likes it.

Thirty minutes after he made his college debut Saturday, young Willie walked into a crowd of 20 waiting microphones, cameras and notepads and almost disappeared from view. His mother and father, Lui and Nancy stood nearby and absorbed the moment.

"He still has a long way to go and the team has a long way to go," Nancy Tuitama said. "But tonight I thought they played like a team."

The arrival of Tuitama has made it so. He didn't play like a beginner and he didn't show any signs of skittishness. Instead, he looked like he belonged. And, in turn, so do the Wildcats, long an outsider in Pac-10 football.

When it was over, after the Wildcats had finished showering Oregon with enough gifts so that the Ducks got out of town with a 28-21 victory, a flat-out escape, it didn't seem to matter much that Arizona lost. I mean, what's another loss at this stage?

The Wildcats outplayed the nation's 15th-ranked team in every category except ball preservation. Once you got past all the fumbles, the meaning was clear: The gains Arizona made Saturday evening are incalculable.

In matters of psyche, expectation and belief - in terms of being physically superior to an established program - Arizona probably had its best day on the football field this century (ASU games not included).

Now the Wildcats are going to think they have a chance every week. How do you affix a value to that long-lost feeling?

Hoarse from another evening of sideline vocal gymnastics, UA coach Mike Stoops waffled between frustration and encouragement.

"I love the way Willie threw the ball," he said. "He made a lot of very young mistakes, but they are all correctable."

The UA defense and the Arizona Stadium crowd played off of Tuitama's energy. At one point, he completed 11 of 15 passes, a marvelous figure against a veteran defense, but more compelling because three of the incompletions were egregiously dropped by Arizona's young and error-prone receiving group.

In the rearview mirror, one agonizes about freshman Mike Thomas' drop of what would surely have been a 50-yard touchdown pass. That would have given Arizona a 28-21 lead and so much momentum that the Ducks, down to their third quarterback, would have had almost no chance to win.

But then Mike Bell fumbled twice with the game on the line, one returned for an Oregon touchdown, the other preventing a tying Arizona score.

The clock struck midnight on a night filled with inordinate promise.

"We've seen enough bad stuff since we've been here that it takes a lot more than that to get us down," said linebacker Spencer Larson, the team optimist. "Eventually this thing is going to turn and it's going to be great."

Saturday, Larson's words didn't ring hollow. With a triggerman like Tuitama eligible through 2008, the complexion of Arizona football has changed. Just like that. One game.

Stoops talked about "learning how to win" and how "extraordinarily hard" it is. His eyes glowed while talking about his young, injury-riddled defense, which outplayed the Ducks both in intensity and by following a terrific Stoops-brothers defensive game plan.

Offensive coordinator Mike Canales, who out-performed Oregon's ballyhooed offensive coordinator Gary Crowton, didn't get carried away by the what-ifs.

Canales is up to his eyebrows in teaching, rushing Tuitama to be ready in his first college semester. As such, he worried about three timeouts used early in the second half, and about two delay of game penalties that thwarted a possible score or two.

"The delays come with a young quarterback," Canales said. "That's going to happen. We've got to live with that. Willie's got that special quality. Tonight you were able to see of little of it."

Now, 18 games into Stoops' Arizona career, the Wildcats can see a squirt of light at the end of an seemingly endless football tunnel. The rest of this season, four difficult games, can be used to build a positive foundation for 2006.

"We have played toe-to-toe with good teams all year long," said UA tight end Brad Brittain. "There were good things happening on offense and defense."

In the sense of winning and losing, nothing changed for the Wildcats on Saturday night. But in the context of the future, everything changed.
      I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

QUOTE(tallahassee blues fan @ Oct 23 2005, 08:43 AM) Quoted post
        - Believe it or not, I'm really interested in this year's Citrus/CapitalOne/whatever they're calling it this year bowl. I think there's a good chance that Alabama will be the SEC rep to that game. And I think Michigan or Ohio State will be the Big 10 rep (sorry Northwestern fans but I don't think you can send as many folks to Orlando as those other teams do) and I think they'll cream the Tide.

- There are some teams in college football that I can't figure out. What's happened to Arizona State? For that matter, what's gotten into Stanford? Michigan State continues to be a team that shows incredible strength one weekend, and pussycat failures the next. I know Northwestern is now the feel good story of the year, but are they really that much better than the Spartans? How do you figure out which Louisville team shows up? Willl Tennessee lead college football in most nfl draft picks on a team that lost every big game it played? How in the world did TCU lose to SMU?
        [/b][/quote]

No way we'll get the Citrus Bowl invite. Same thing happened after the 2000 season, when we tied for the Big Ten title and got sent to the Alamo Bowl. I guess that's the way it goes.

And no, we're not that much better than Michigan State. But we're also not that much worse than Arizona State, who destroyed us earlier this year...

Comment

QUOTE(tallahassee blues fan @ Oct 23 2005, 09:43 AM) Quoted post

....while awaiting 210's posting of a thread for this week's poll.
          [/b][/quote]

It went up a half hour before you posted this. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

It took me that long to write it. I actually started it before you posted your thread.
            June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Comment

Working...
            X