Hadley: Warner done in STL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hadley: Warner done in STL

KURT WARNER: My sources have confirmed that Kurt Warner's representatives were given approval to search for a deal.

I'm told that Arizona and San Diego are possible destinations.

I have been told by four sources that Warner will not return to the Rams in 2004.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

This pretty much confirms that KW will be in camp come August, and will probably end up starting.
    " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Peter King thought the same thing today in his column.

I am conflicted now.

Comment

If Hadley (and King) is right, good decision by the Rams. I don't see why any team would give up much for Warner though.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Feb 23 2004, 07:35 PM
          If Hadley (and King) is right, good decision by the Rams. I don't see why any team would give up much for Warner though.
          I agree 100%. It's time for him to go.

Comment

If Warner is to be traded, the Rams will probably have to work out a deal with another team whereby Warner gives back some signing bonus for cap relief, and the new team re-compensates him for it.

This has Jerry Jones written all over it. However, I don't know if it has Parcells written all over it.

I for one, being a lifelong Cowboy fan, and now a resident of this fair city, wouldn't mind seeing Warner get a new life here.

He can't be worse than Q-Car. Besides, we already have one STL castoff down here with Hutchinson. Might as well make it two.
            " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

I really don't see a team for whom Warner is a good fit. Maybe San Diego, if they trade out of the No. 1 pick. Miami already got my man Feeley. Warner is a mismatch for Parcells in Dallas. Baltimore has to go with Boller for the time being. Chicago has to give Grossman a shot. Arizona is in position to take Roethlisberger (and should take him).

Maybe Oakland if they let Gannon go but even they may prefer Roethlisberger or Eli.

I think Warner's options are very limited and any team that just hands him the starting job is completely out of their mind.

Comment

Warner would be perfect for Dallas, IF they can get a real running back.

Parcells conservative offense would allow him room to maneuver, with the option of launching the homerun every once in a while.

I don't know if Kurt would know how to act under a coach who actually ran protection schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Feb 23 2004, 07:39 PM
                  I think Warner's options are very limited and any team that just hands him the starting job is completely out of their mind.
                  Call me wacky, but ...

I see three teams that could show some interest:

Detroit
                  New Orleans
                  Pittsburgh

Comment

Originally posted by _STLfan_in_DFW@Feb 23 2004, 05:42 PM
                    Warner would be perfect for Dallas, IF they can get a real running back.

Parcells conservative offense would allow him room to maneuver, with the option of launching the homerun every once in a while.

I don't know if Kurt would know how to act under a coach who actually ran protection schemes.
                    I disagree. I think Warner turns the ball over far too much for Parcells' tastes. And Parcells has always prefered quarterbacks who throw the ball downfield (and that is also the strength of the Cowboys receivers) and I haven't seen Warner throw a ball downfield that wasn't underthrown or wasn't a wounded duck in a long, long time.

I don't think Parcells would want any part of Warner.

I'll throw out another suggestion: Cleveland. He can go there and battle it out with Couch this offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote@Feb 23 2004, 05:42 PM
                      Call me wacky, but ...

I see three teams that could show some interest:

Detroit
                      New Orleans
                      Pittsburgh
                      I would be shocked if Pittsburgh wants him. I've heard their plan is to get a young quarterback like Rivers and let him sit for a year before taking over in 2005. If that's the plan, they'd be better off going with Maddox for another year than giving up a draft pick to get Warner.

Detroit is a possibility if and only if they're having doubts about Joey Harrington long-term. Seeing as they spent No. 3 overall pick on Harrington very recently, I have a hard time believing that they're willing to do that now.

New Orleans could be a possibility if anyone can ever get it through Haslett's head that Aaron Brooks might not be the answer.

Comment

Warner turns the ball over in Martz's no-protect offensive scheme.

Parcells doesn't hang the QB out to dry like Martz does.

Parcells prefers the ground game over the aerial assault (look what he did with an old O.J. Anderson).

The Cowboys actually have some decent tight ends, and Antonio Bryant (an Irvin-sized receiver who will go over the middle) that they can use to capitalize on the short passing game. They also have the receivers to stretch the defense to allow the short passing game and the running game to flourish, as well as taking the downfield shot.

Warner wouldn't be asked to throw the ball 55 times for Parcells.

Warner could assume an Aikman-like role in Parcells offense. Aikman wasn't mobile, but he was accurate, and could throw the homerun whenever it was called.

I think Parcells would use Warner in the same manner.

The protection would do wonders for his happy feet.

Comment

The Pittsburgh one is just a feeling. I think Cowher is going to feel pressure this year.

Detroit struck me as the most logical choice. Mooch knows Warner and they aren't sold on Harrington.

Agreed with you on New Orleans.

Comment

Originally posted by _STLfan_in_DFW@Feb 23 2004, 05:54 PM
                            Warner turns the ball over in Martz's no-protect offensive scheme.

Parcells doesn't hang the QB out to dry like Martz does.

Parcells prefers the ground game over the aerial assault (look what he did with an old O.J. Anderson).

The Cowboys actually have some decent tight ends, and Antonio Bryant (an Irvin-sized receiver who will go over the middle) that they can use to capitalize on the short passing game. They also have the receivers to stretch the defense to allow the short passing game and the running game to flourish, as well as taking the downfield shot.

Warner wouldn't be asked to throw the ball 55 times for Parcells.

Warner could assume an Aikman-like role in Parcells offense. Aikman wasn't mobile, but he was accurate, and could throw the homerun whenever it was called.

I think Parcells would use Warner in the same manner.

The protection would do wonders for his happy feet.
                            I agree with much of what you say, in theory. But does Parcells want to spend a year rehabbing a quarterback? Does he want to hope Warner will be able to hold on to the ball when pressured?

I don't think Warner is capable of throwing the ball downfield, which is a big reason why I don't think Parcells would want him. You can't run the ball effectively if you can't stretch the field and I don't think Warner can stretch the field.

And how does anyone know Warner would be good in a max-protect scheme? A big part of his success was that because they didn't protect him, he had major mismatches in the secondary to take advantage of and thus often had a wide open receiver. If you run a max-protect offense, the quarterback will have to be better at making tight throws in traffic. Warner was once good at this. I don't think he still is.

Dallas could definitely use a quarterback but I don't think Warner is the guy for them. I think Cleveland is the best option thus far or maybe New Orleans.

Comment

I am prone to agree with Dev.

I do not think Warner will be good again. If we can move him, we should. no questions asked.
                              Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Working...
                              X