Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chiguy
    replied
    The good news, guys, is that Pinkel does well against Big 12 opponents not called "Kansas" and "Texas." Your OOC opponents are another story altogether.

Leave a comment:

• chiguy
    replied
    QUOTE(Damtoft @ Oct 30 2005, 07:36 AM) Quoted post

chi,

I didn't mention Louisiana.

BTW - my comments about Notre Dame were meant to indicate that I wouldn't be as upset if I were a fan of Purdue and/or of Indiana University.

Notre Dame is the marquee program in that state (and surrounding areas) and one can dream of IU winning the Big 10/11 or whatever, but it ain't happening.
    [/b][/quote]

I brought up Lousiana to illustrate my point. I see what you meant RE: Indiana.

Leave a comment:

• TTB
    replied
    Based on yesteday...they could lose to CU by 30

Leave a comment:

• F the Cubs
    replied
    QUOTE(TTB @ Oct 30 2005, 09:53 AM) Quoted post

I think they beat Baylor at home but lose to CU and KSU as they are just god awful on the road.

6-5 and bowl eligible.

Big Deal....another promising season ruined by losing to KU.

Pinkel needs to learn one thing...BEAT KANSAS!!!!!!!!

Some will no doubt argue that if they win out its still a good season. Yes, it is. However, anyone really see that happening based on yesterday's pathetic performance?

I thought so...
    [/b][/quote]
    ++

I couldn't agree with you more TTB.

MU can win out. But after yesterday, I don't know how anyone could think they will. I see us at 1-2 as well. I think Snyder will out-coach Pinkel after we barely beat Baylor at home.

I think the CU game could get ugly. I hope I am wrong.

Leave a comment:

• dv6y
    replied
    I'd say Pinkel has 1 more year with Chase Daniel to get it right. Get it right means he needs to get into a bowl game AND beat Kansas.

At least he's got KU at home next year. Sigh.

Leave a comment:

• TTB
    replied
    I think they beat Baylor at home but lose to CU and KSU as they are just god awful on the road.

6-5 and bowl eligible.

Big Deal....another promising season ruined by losing to KU.

Pinkel needs to learn one thing...BEAT KANSAS!!!!!!!!

Some will no doubt argue that if they win out its still a good season. Yes, it is. However, anyone really see that happening based on yesterday's pathetic performance?

I thought so...

Leave a comment:

• Damtoft
    replied
    chi,

I didn't mention Louisiana.

BTW - my comments about Notre Dame were meant to indicate that I wouldn't be as upset if I were a fan of Purdue and/or of Indiana University.

Notre Dame is the marquee program in that state (and surrounding areas) and one can dream of IU winning the Big 10/11 or whatever, but it ain't happening.

Leave a comment:

• chiguy
    replied
    QUOTE(Damtoft @ Oct 29 2005, 10:34 PM) Quoted post

I would believe the stuff about "not enough talent" if I wouldn't REGULARLY see Missouri high schoolers headed out of state to Wisconsin, Texas, etc. and on to pro football.

Mizzou does not have the same excuse as Indiana (Notre Dame). Year in and year out, the program SHOULD be able to compete at the same level as Neb, TN, CU, IA, and WI - to name a few.

It has not and - apparently - it will not.
    [/b][/quote]

Even with the regular exodous of talent from Missouri, I'd be surprised if it had as much talent as Louisianna. And even LSU has to regularly recruit Texas in order to compete.

Notre Dame and MU are not even in the same ballpark when it comes to tradition, so that's not a fair comparison.

But...you're probably right that MU ought to be regularly competing with ISU, CU, and Nebraska.

Leave a comment:

• nick2
    replied
    QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Oct 30 2005, 02:19 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(nick2 @ Oct 29 2005, 10:26 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Oct 29 2005, 03:45 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(nick2 @ Oct 29 2005, 03:33 PM) Quoted post

At 10 minutes to play in the 4th quater, Pinkel needed to make a change. He didn't.

End of story. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]
    [/b][/quote]

It's not going to happen.

But keep fighting that fight.
    [/b][/quote]

You're right. Heisman consideration for Brad Smith trumps the situational coaching required (read adjustments) necessary to try your best to win each game on the schedule.

1-2 is a very realistic judgement for the Tigers last three games, but 0-3 would not shock me. Sorry, but Pinkel's loyalty to Brad Smith at this juncture reminds me of Tony LaRussa's loyalty to Larry Walker. It's a nice gesture to a guy nearing the end of his career, but come on.

I am not saying Smith shouldn't start. But, when it is obvious that he's not getting it done through three quarters, does Pinkel even consider doing what worked majic in the final 10 minutes of Iowa State game? No, Pinkel continues to do what hasn't worked all day (at your delight, I suppose) ... and somehow hopes for different results. I don't get it.

Maybe you can explain.
    [/b][/quote]

You seem to have a problem separating my desires on the matter with my statements as to what will happen.

Pinkel has shown himself to be loyal to a fault. Just check out his asst coaching situation. So now, you have a QB that holds about 35 Missouri records and is in his senior year - I can tell you that Pinkle is going to stick with him.

You seem to think that because I state that fact, that I think he should, etc. It's not that. It's just that I know that Brad Smith is Mizzou's QB this season, period. It was game waht 7 of his senior season? He's not going to lose his job now. And he's done enough for Missouri that he should get a shot at beating Kansas. I can see where Pinkel is coming from on that.

That said, would I like to see more Chase Daniel? Yep. Not sure it will happen.

My hopes this year are that Missouri can somehow surprise CU and make the Big 12 title game. Short of that I'd like them to make a bowl this year.

I think they are on the right track, but when it comes to Mizzou, I am the eternal optimist.
    [/b][/quote]

Agree with what you're saying. As an alum, I've been an optimist for so damn long that I've finally reached the stage of intolerance and frustration. I blame the coaches and the people who hired and continue to tolerate (and defend) them. It's almost as if MU's qualifications for hiring a head coach consists of the ability to spin "losing another tough one" into something positive in the post-game interview ... and the ability to maintain strong alum support by spinning a mediocre present into a promising future.

Pathetic.

Leave a comment:

• dv6y
    replied
    QUOTE(nick2 @ Oct 29 2005, 10:26 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Oct 29 2005, 03:45 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(nick2 @ Oct 29 2005, 03:33 PM) Quoted post

At 10 minutes to play in the 4th quater, Pinkel needed to make a change. He didn't.

End of story. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]
    [/b][/quote]

It's not going to happen.

But keep fighting that fight.
    [/b][/quote]

You're right. Heisman consideration for Brad Smith trumps the situational coaching required (read adjustments) necessary to try your best to win each game on the schedule.

1-2 is a very realistic judgement for the Tigers last three games, but 0-3 would not shock me. Sorry, but Pinkel's loyalty to Brad Smith at this juncture reminds me of Tony LaRussa's loyalty to Larry Walker. It's a nice gesture to a guy nearing the end of his career, but come on.

I am not saying Smith shouldn't start. But, when it is obvious that he's not getting it done through three quarters, does Pinkel even consider doing what worked majic in the final 10 minutes of Iowa State game? No, Pinkel continues to do what hasn't worked all day (at your delight, I suppose) ... and somehow hopes for different results. I don't get it.

Maybe you can explain.
    [/b][/quote]

You seem to have a problem separating my desires on the matter with my statements as to what will happen.

Pinkel has shown himself to be loyal to a fault. Just check out his asst coaching situation. So now, you have a QB that holds about 35 Missouri records and is in his senior year - I can tell you that Pinkle is going to stick with him.

You seem to think that because I state that fact, that I think he should, etc. It's not that. It's just that I know that Brad Smith is Mizzou's QB this season, period. It was game waht 7 of his senior season? He's not going to lose his job now. And he's done enough for Missouri that he should get a shot at beating Kansas. I can see where Pinkel is coming from on that.

That said, would I like to see more Chase Daniel? Yep. Not sure it will happen.

My hopes this year are that Missouri can somehow surprise CU and make the Big 12 title game. Short of that I'd like them to make a bowl this year.

I think they are on the right track, but when it comes to Mizzou, I am the eternal optimist.

Leave a comment:

• Damtoft
    replied
    QUOTE(chiguy @ Oct 29 2005, 11:10 PM) Quoted post

Some of you Mizzou fans are fickle bunch. You're ready to throw Brad Smith overboard because he can't get it done against KU, even though he just got done tearing the bug eaters a new one. You're also ready to ditch Pinkel even though he's substantially upped your recruiting, moved you into contention in the North, and shored up the program because he hasn't turned you guys into a powerhouse and he can't beat KU. Would you rather be in my situation? Our coach has improved the talent coming into the program, but can't beat anyone in conference BUT you guys.

Maybe the truth of the matter is that Missouri won't ever be a powerhouse -- there is simply not enough talent in the state to take advantage of the fact that they are the only major university; there is a competitive basketball program (usually) that sucks resources away from football; and so on. Maybe consistently turning out 7-4 teams and holding your own against KU is about as much as you should expect. Then again, Bill Synder turned out some powerhouses at KSU and MU is in a much better situation. So, maybe Pinkel isn't the guy.
    [/b][/quote]

I would believe the stuff about "not enough talent" if I wouldn't REGULARLY see Missouri high schoolers headed out of state to Wisconsin, Texas, etc. and on to pro football.

Mizzou does not have the same excuse as Indiana (Notre Dame). Year in and year out, the program SHOULD be able to compete at the same level as Neb, TN, CU, IA, and WI - to name a few.

It has not and - apparently - it will not.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Daniels
    replied
    Until the School has a house cleaning, i.e., President, Athletic Dept.: Alden, Pinkel, Snyder, the school will continue to shoot their wad into the fan of mediocrity.....

Leave a comment:

• chiguy
    replied
    Some of you Mizzou fans are fickle bunch. You're ready to throw Brad Smith overboard because he can't get it done against KU, even though he just got done tearing the bug eaters a new one. You're also ready to ditch Pinkel even though he's substantially upped your recruiting, moved you into contention in the North, and shored up the program because he hasn't turned you guys into a powerhouse and he can't beat KU. Would you rather be in my situation? Our coach has improved the talent coming into the program, but can't beat anyone in conference BUT you guys.

Maybe the truth of the matter is that Missouri won't ever be a powerhouse -- there is simply not enough talent in the state to take advantage of the fact that they are the only major university; there is a competitive basketball program (usually) that sucks resources away from football; and so on. Maybe consistently turning out 7-4 teams and holding your own against KU is about as much as you should expect. Then again, Bill Synder turned out some powerhouses at KSU and MU is in a much better situation. So, maybe Pinkel isn't the guy.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Daniels
    replied
    QUOTE(Damtoft @ Oct 29 2005, 10:36 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(bombay @ Oct 29 2005, 08:01 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Damtoft @ Oct 29 2005, 06:58 PM) Quoted post

I thought they won.

Wonder why they're upset?
    [/b][/quote]

Barnett's play calling.
    [/b][/quote]

I just thought of this....

I believe Mike Martz could be available via teleconference.

He's not busy right now.
    [/b][/quote]

Zygmunt has the line tapped and will file "tampering" charges.

Leave a comment:

• Damtoft
    replied
    QUOTE(bombay @ Oct 29 2005, 08:01 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Damtoft @ Oct 29 2005, 06:58 PM) Quoted post

I thought they won.

Wonder why they're upset?
    [/b][/quote]

Barnett's play calling.
    [/b][/quote]

I just thought of this....

I believe Mike Martz could be available via teleconference.

He's not busy right now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X