• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Buck: Cards remind him of Atlanta Braves

Buck: Cards overpowered by better club
    By Dan Caesar
    POST-DISPATCH
    10/21/2005

The Cardinals simply were overpowered by the Houston Astros in the National League Championship Series, says Joe Buck. And the Cards remind him of the Atlanta Braves - a team with much regular-season success but with postseason trouble.

"I see (the Astros being) the flip side of what the Atlanta Braves and really what the Cardinals have done the last couple of years," Buck said. "I think it's shown up again. I think the Cardinals have been built the last two years to be a very good team over 162 games, just like the Braves were all those years and still are under Bobby Cox. But what you see in the postseason ... is power pitching, and what power pitching can do for you. ... The difference for me is what power pitching can do in October."

Buck, who will broadcast the World Series on Fox for the eighth consecutive year, lives in St. Louis and called 18 Cardinals games on local television. And he was addressing the difference between the Cards and Astros on a Fox teleconference after having attended Game 6, which the Astros' Roy Oswalt dominated.

"I was at (Game 6); that thing was over in the second inning," Buck said. "I saw a couple players down below who were talking about Oswalt during the game. They said, 'My God, he's throwing the ball (at what) looks like it's 110 (mph) and it's rising when it gets to the plate.'"

He said the combination of Oswalt and fellow hard-throwing starters Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte, plus fireballers Brad Lidge and Chad Qualls in the bullpen, helps make the Astros the best team in the National League.

"They've got power pitching, and I think power pitching trumps anything else if you combine it with good defense, which they have. It's the same for the White Sox in the ALCS. That's why I look at this as the two best teams hooking up."

Buck will be doing the play-by-play, working with analyst Tim McCarver - who is doing his record 16th Series. It is not known whether Lou Piniella, who worked with them during the ALCS, will join them for some telecasts. He was in Florida this week with his family to deal with the possibility of Hurricane Wilma approaching.

They said, 'My God, he's throwing the ball (at what) looks like it's 110 (mph) and it's rising when it gets to the plate.'[/b][/quote]

Wow. Oswalt defied the laws of physics.

That explains it all.

Comment

QUOTE(King @ Oct 22 2005, 10:00 AM) Quoted post

They said, 'My God, he's throwing the ball (at what) looks like it's 110 (mph) and it's rising when it gets to the plate.'[/b][/quote]

Wow. Oswalt defied the laws of physics.

That explains it all.
      [/b][/quote]

just kidding, astros fans
      Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
      Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
      There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
      "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
      "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Fucking Joe Buck, could he be any more anti-St.Louis?

Sarcasm

Comment

Joe Buck reminds me of his father. Only much more of a sell out.
          Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
          "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

QUOTE(bombay @ Oct 22 2005, 10:01 AM)

Very original, Joe. I've only heard that from about 52 sources now.
            [/b][/quote]

But those sources don't make as much money as he does.
            And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

QUOTE(Ohio Blues @ Oct 22 2005, 11:44 AM) Quoted post

Joe Buck reminds me of his father. Only much more of a sell out.
              [/b][/quote]

Joe won't get a statue at the stadium unless he pays to have it sculpted....

As for McCarver, who'd like to see a statue of McCarver giged in the ass by SATAN with a pitchfork?

I'm IN! I got $50, right now.

Comment

QUOTE(bombay @ Oct 22 2005, 11:01 AM)

[/b][/quote]

It's not like he wrote the story.
                Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

QUOTE(bombay @ Oct 22 2005, 01:34 PM)

QUOTE(CSD @ Oct 22 2005, 11:29 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(bombay @ Oct 22 2005, 11:01 AM)

[/b][/quote]

It's not like he wrote the story.
                  [/b][/quote]

The words came out of Joe Buck's mouth. Dan Caesar wrote them down.

The end.
                  [/b][/quote]

Maybe Joe Buck needs to start getting an okay from you before stating his opinions in public.

Comment

QUOTE(bombay @ Oct 22 2005, 01:38 PM)

I don't much care what he says. I pointed that it wasn't an original thought.

It wasn't.
                    [/b][/quote]

Yes, because Joe Buck, one of the best in the business, is unable to form his own opinion.

Comment

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Remember, CSD - noone from the media is allowed to say anything that can be construed as even slightly negative towards the Cardinals. If they do, they are stupid and not worthy enough to write on used toilet paper.

After all, the Cardinals are the Best Team in Baseball (t), and have the Best Fans in Baseball (t). Every other team and their fans are at least two notches below.
                        Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

QUOTE(ChiTownBluesFan @ Oct 22 2005, 01:56 PM) Quoted post

Remember, CSD - noone from the media is allowed to say anything that can be construed as even slightly negative towards the Cardinals. If they do, they are stupid and not worthy enough to write on used toilet paper.

After all, the Cardinals are the Best Team in Baseball (t), and have the Best Fans in Baseball (t). Every other team and their fans are at least two notches below.
                          [/b][/quote]

How could I forget? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Why would his saying this suprise anyone, it's not like he told Fox that he would take less money to cover the Cards did he?

Joe ie Joe, he isn't his dad.
                            Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

QUOTE(ChiTownBluesFan @ Oct 22 2005, 12:56 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                              ..and so it goes

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Working...
                              X