Clear All

• Ex-Card Widger lands on feet with Sox

Joe Strauss

Ex-Card Widger lands on feet with Sox
    By Joe Strauss
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/21/2005

CHICAGO

Chris Widger was traded and released in 2004, traded by the Cardinals to the New York Mets on the final day of their exhibition schedule and then released by the Mets when he refused a minor-league assignment.

Once the Cardinals' backup catcher to Mike Matheny, Widger ended up playing for Camden of the independent Atlantic League and a fast-pitch softball team near his Pennsville, N.J., home. He resurfaced with the Chicago White Sox this year as a non-roster invitee, made the club in spring training and hit .241 with 11 RBIs in 45 games. To this day, he says he doesn't understand the series of events that led to his trade to the Mets. Widger was unseated as backup by Cody McKay, who has since retired.

"I never got a grip on why they said some of the things they said about me after I left," he said. "I never gave them any trouble. I never said anything bad about them. It was weird. But as my wife says, things have a way of working out for the best. And if I had the chance, I wouldn't change a thing."

The Sox are Widger's fifth team in six seasons, not counting the Camden entry in the Atlantic League. The Cardinals cut him, at least in part, because of what manager Tony La Russa then described as Widger's cavalier work habits during the 2004 camp. The Cardinals traded him for Mets outfielder Roger Cedeno, who became part of the Cardinals' push to the 2004 World Series.[/b][/quote]
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Speaking of ex Cards, how about this guy finally getting to expierence a World series:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/cruzjo01.shtml
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Again, loyalty, by TLR! Cody McKay!

Next year, we decide not to re-sign So, in favor of Chris Duncan, at a cheaper price....

Speaking of catchers, who would be a good candidate to replace Einar Diaz?

Mike Mahoney?

Comment

...Cody McKay, who has since retired.[/b][/quote]

Hadn't heard that one.
        But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

Comment

Indeed.

McKay's career had such promise.
          And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Hooray! Go Widger!

He's so dreamy.

Comment

Working...
            X