Brian Elliott
          Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
          5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Wow, that's pretty good.

Comment

cool, daddy-o!
              Official Lounge Sponsor:
              The New Orleans Saints, Blue Moon Belgian Ale, Peter Gammons, and Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

Comment

Looks like the reason that your eyes lie to you is where the rods and cones are located in the eye. Rods and cones are the two types of cells in the eye that "see", and they do different things. Cones are concentrated in the center of the retina, and the rods are on the outside. If you stare at the + sign, you're only seeing the dots with the rods. This website

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase...on/rodcone.html

says that rods are the better motion detectors, which explains why you see the dot moving around, but do not see the red part of the spectrum, which is why the red dots disappear. Why the flashing dot turns green, I'm not quite sure--if it stays pink, it should disappear with the other dots, whether it's moving or not.
                Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

QUOTE(kah @ Oct 21 2005, 05:43 PM) Quoted post

Looks like the reason that your eyes lie to you is where the rods and cones are located in the eye. Rods and cones are the two types of cells in the eye that "see", and they do different things. Cones are concentrated in the center of the retina, and the rods are on the outside. If you stare at the + sign, you're only seeing the dots with the rods. This website

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase...on/rodcone.html

says that rods are the better motion detectors, which explains why you see the dot moving around, but do not see the red part of the spectrum, which is why the red dots disappear. Why the flashing dot turns green, I'm not quite sure--if it stays pink, it should disappear with the other dots, whether it's moving or not.
                  [/b][/quote]

Not exactly.

I've had a few color theory courses that explain the effect...

Here's a technical explaination of "after-images":
                  The color receptors in the eye are called "cones" and they are responsible for absorbing color. There are three types of cones that detect color. One type detects red, another green, and the third blue. There are six million cones in each eye! When the cones are saturated and overloaded, they become fatigued and their response to light is momentarily weakened. While the saturated cones recover, the unused cones that produce other colors produce a complimentary color that we see as the afterimage.

After staring at the red dots, your red-recieving cones become fatiqued, the "moving" dot, which is actually turning white, begins to look green, the complimentary or oppopsite color of red...after focusing on the + long enough, your red cones get so burned-out that they disappear all together & you're only seeing the green afterimage moving around...

You can try this with several different things...Take 2 pieces of white paper...put a black dot right in the center of both pieces...on one piece, color a bright orange area around the black dot...focus your eyes on the black dot on the colored page for 30-60 seconds...then immediately focus your eyes on the blank page's black dot...you'll see a blue after-image in the same shape...
                  . . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
                  -mike
                  mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

Comment

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img] the dots didnt vanish for me

Comment

Working...
                    X