Maddox's family abused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maddox's family abused

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Tommy Maddox's family has been subjected to abuse since his poor performance in the Pittsburgh Steelers' 23-17 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday, his agent told a newspaper.

"Having your kids deal with it at school and on the bus is a very, very tough deal," Vann McElroy, the backup quarterback's agent, told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Some fans have tossed objects into the yard of Maddox's suburban home, and his wife has been driving the couple's two grade-school aged children to school to shield them from abuse.

Maddox threw three interceptions, including one returned for a 41-yard touchdown in overtime, in the loss.

Maddox politely declined to be interviewed on the subject, saying the abuse has come from "just a few people."

"I just want it to go away, that's all. Just want it to go away," Maddox said.

Maddox came off the bench to replace Kordell Stewart in the 2002 season, guided the team to the playoffs and became a cult hero nicknamed "Tommy Gun" by Pittsburgh fans. He began last season as a starter, but lost his job to No. 1 draft pick Ben Roethlisberger after an early season elbow injury.

Maddox's start Sunday was his first since last season's finale against the Buffalo Bills - played after the Steelers already had won home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. Roethlisberger was shelved because of a hyperextended knee and bone bruise, but is scheduled to start this Sunday in Cincinnati.

"Tommy certainly appreciates the Rooneys (the family that owns the Steelers) believing in him," McElroy said. "But when this stuff comes into it, it's really tough. It's one thing to get booed, but when you take it beyond the field, that's when it can be too much, especially for a guy who's done some great things during his time in Pittsburgh."

McElroy didn't immediately return calls from The Associated Press on Thursday.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

you've gotta be a majorly pathetic loser to take the time out and do that.

Comment

Some folks take sports fat too serious. Boo and make cat calls at the stadium all you want, but no one has the right to disturb a man's house and family.
      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

One of the worst performances in recent memory. And recent memory includes David Carr and Joey Harrington.

Comment

I only saw part of that game, and it was disgusting.

But it was ONE game. Should Ben expect to have his house spraypainted and sans windows the next time he loses?

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Oct 21 2005, 12:42 PM) Quoted post

Some folks take sports fat too serious. Boo and make cat calls at the stadium all you want, but no one has the right to disturb a man's house and family.
            [/b][/quote]
            Sports fat is a serious issue though Kev. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

Please forgive me, I couldn't resist. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
            --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
            --Suck it cubbies.
            --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

Had I known where Martz lived when we lost the super bowl ... let me just say, yes, I would have taken time out to do it.

Comment

People here would do that to Tony Banks.
                RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(F_the_Asstros @ Oct 21 2005, 12:51 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                  Sports fat is a serious issue though Kev. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

Please forgive me, I couldn't resist. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
                  [/b][/quote]

Sports "fat" is right up there with baby fat.

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Oct 21 2005, 12:53 PM) Quoted post

Had I known where Martz lived when we lost the super bowl ... let me just say, yes, I would have taken time out to do it.
                    [/b][/quote]
                    [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

I was with about oh, 60+ people that would have joined you. I hate even thinking about that day. Too painful.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

Pittsburgh has no shortage of pure assholes.
                      No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
                      President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
                      President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

QUOTE(mw.2 @ Oct 21 2005, 01:00 PM) Quoted post

Pittsburgh has no shortage of pure assholes.
                        [/b][/quote]

It could happen in St. Louis, Houston, or Omaha.

Comment

Doesn't anyone fly a fucking banner anymore???

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Oct 21 2005, 11:53 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Hopefully, you would have sent me a PM before heading over there.

I would have brought the Molotov cocktails.
                            His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
                            Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

QUOTE(F_the_Asstros @ Oct 21 2005, 01:51 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                              [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/roll2.gif[/img]
                              Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                              "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Working...
                              X