No announcement yet.

The Cardinals Prepare To Say Farewell..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cardinals Prepare To Say Farewell..

The Cardinals prepare to say farewell
    By Joe Strauss
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Thursday, Oct. 20 2005

Thursday afternoon at Busch Stadium was reserved for the Cardinals cleaning out
    their lockers, exchanging goodbyes and, in some cases, driving their
    four-wheel-drive vehicles onto the outfield grass to perform doughnuts.

Manager Tony La Russa and his coaching staff met across the street with general
    manager Walt Jocketty as planning began for the NL Central champions' winter
    makeover.

More than three months remain for reflection on a six-game NLCS loss to the
    wild-card Houston Astros. The wipeout was finalized by Wednesday's 5-1 loss to
    righthander Roy Oswalt and a team that proved more opportunistic at the plate
    and more efficient defensively.

With changes virtually certain within the bullpen and the outfield, much of the
    team departed condemned Busch Stadium for the final time Thursday. Reliever Ray
    King restated his desire to be traded after failing to appear in the team's
    nine postseason games and an unimpressed La Russa said he would recommend that
    the lefthander's wish be granted.

Mostly, the manager and his players admitted they had been outplayed.

"They played better baseball than we did," said third baseman Abraham Nunez,
    who led the club with a .385 average in the series. "They pitched extremely
    well. We didn't do as much as we needed to do."

The Astros outhit the Cardinals 55-39 and outslugged them 81 total bases to 54.
    Lost in the celebration of a three-game, first-round sweep of the San Diego
    Padres was the Cardinals being outhit there also.

After never trailing in their first four postseason games, the Cardinals held a
    lead for only 4 1/2 innings of their last five games. Their finish was an
    unwelcome reminder of last October's World Series, which they lost without ever
    leading. The Astros did not allow an unearned run in the series. The Cardinals
    allowed five in addition to Mark Mulder permitting Wednesday's first run to
    score on a third-inning wild pitch.

"We won a lot of games this year because we outplayed the other club," La Russa
    said. "We played better baseball, so we won. We got beat in the series because
    they played better than we did."

Right fielder Larry Walker said: "We pitched great. They pitched better. You
    could say we didn't hit. But I'm not going to lie. That was the toughest
    stretch of pitching I've ever faced."

The Boston Red Sox held the Cardinals to a .190 average and 12 runs. Walker was
    one of the few exceptions on a struggling roster as he batted .357 with the
    team's only two home runs. Against the Astros he managed only a .158 average
    with one RBI and no runs. "We didn't get beat by Boston's pitching," he said.
    "That's for sure. Pedro (Martinez) may have beaten us. With (Roger) Clemens,
    (Andy) Pettitte, Oswalt and (Brandon) Backe, there wasn't much let-up.

"After that Game 5, everybody was really high. But I remember saying this was a
    pretty steep hill. Four hits later and a guy throwing 97 and hitting his spots,
    here we are."

The Astros didn't retreat from the middle of the Cardinals' lineup. They
    attacked it. Left fielder Reggie Sanders had 12 RBIs in the first four
    postseason games before falling hard on the Busch Stadium warning track in Game

After missing Game 3, Sanders returned to go one for 12 with seven strikeouts
    in the final three games. La Russa double-switched him from Game 6 after his
    third strikeout. A club source said after Wednesday's elimination that Sanders
    had played the last three games with significant stiffness and a lingering
    headache.

Sanders, center fielder Jim Edmonds, Walker and Mark Grudzielanek finished the
    series hitting a cumulative .192 with one home run, five RBIs and 17 strikeouts
    in 78 at-bats.

"It seemed we did a very good job of keeping the meat of their order from
    hurting us too badly," Astros manager Phil Garner said. Shortstop and leadoff
    hitter David "Eckstein was a pest. He just kept getting on base. But we managed
    to keep Edmonds out of harm's way. We neutralized Pujols and Walker for the
    most part, and also Sanders."

Pujols hit .304 for the series with a team-high six RBIs but rarely hit with
    runners in scoring position.

"If they can't generate anything, then hitting is usually contagious. That's
    the way I see it on the mound," Oswalt said. "You give up a hit here or a hit
    there, and everybody seems like they want to run up there and hit the ball. The
    big thing to me was not to put anybody on by walks. Just go right at them and
    make the defense play behind me."

Pujols' ninth-inning home run in Game 5 at least gave the Cardinals' fan base a
    chance to say goodbye to 39-year-old Busch Stadium.

"If there's any justice, we did get a win in Houston so we could play a game
    here," La Russa said. "This ballpark deserved to play a game - hopefully, a
    winner - but just to play a game."

Payment was made both ways.

Walker, who announced his retirement after the game, became emotional after
    returning to the field to thank those who remained to cheer.

La Russa knows others will be less charitable regarding the team's fourth loss
    in five trips to the NLCS during his term.

"I think there's a strong segment of our support that marks your season with
    not getting to the World Series, but winning it," La Russa said. "So with that
    group, we failed. But we have got to be more realistic as an organization and
    coaches and players."

La Russa defended the Cardinals against charges of a flat performance after
    Game 6.

"I hear this all the time, 'The club looked flat,'" La Russa said. "You know
    when you look flat? When the guy on the mound is shutting you down. You walk to
    the plate, three guys walk to the plate, they make outs. Nobody gets on base,
    nobody is sliding, and all that kind of stuff.

"We were ready to play. But a guy who pitched an outstanding game (Roy Oswalt)
    just shut us down."

Dissecting the series, La Russa conceded the Astros Games 2 and 6. He pointed
    to Chris Carpenter's starts in Games 1 and 5 as well-deserved wins. The series
    swung, he believed, by losing 4-3 in Game 3 and 2-1 in a controversial Game 4.

"We won the games Chris pitched. Oswalt was a tiger. And we never played Game
    7," La Russa said. "That leaves 3 and 4. I look at both of those games as
    pivotal and they went to them both times."

La Russa pointed to Matt Morris' two-strike mistakes against three consecutive
    hitters in the sixth inning of Game 3, which the Cardinals lost to a
    less-than-dominant Clemens.

"Matt made some 0-2 mistakes. Could we have pitched better? Probably," La Russa
    said.

The Cardinals now begin shedding. Morris, Sanders, Mark Grudzielanek and
    Abraham Nunez and are pending free agents, as are backup catcher Einar Diaz,
    utility player John Mabry and relievers Cal Eldred, Julian Tavarez and the
    surgically repaired Mike Lincoln and Al Reyes. The option on Mulder's contract
    has vested, and the club will soon assume the $4 million option on Jeff Suppan
    for next season.

King, who spiced Wednesday's postgame media scrum with a trade request,
    repeated his frustration Thursday by suggesting La Russa had used the death of
    King's father as a pretext for not pitching him in the postseason.

"If he didn't want to pitch me, then he should've told me to stay home. Just be
    straight about it," said King, who said he was irked by La Russa's decision to
    have him warm for the ninth inning Wednesday and then giving the assignment to
    closer Jason Isringhausen. "If they didn't think I was pitching well enough,
    then tell me. But that didn't keep them from using Morris. If they don't think
    I can pitch in the postseason, put me on the block. Somebody will pick me up."

La Russa was not amused.

"If that's the way he feels, Ray should have his agent contact the other 29
    teams," the manager said. "We'll do what we can to satisfy him." [/b][/quote]
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Ray..what a fucking douchebag. Does he honestly think he pitched well this season?

I hope his huge ass is sent packing ASAP...preferably to the AL where left handed mashers rule the roost. They will feed on his crappy pitches..

Comment

La Russa was not amused.

teams," the manager said. "We'll do what we can to satisfy him."[/b][/quote]

Fuckin' owned.

Comment

QUOTE(GloveSaveandaBeauty @ Oct 21 2005, 04:43 AM) Quoted post

La Russa was not amused.

teams," the manager said. "We'll do what we can to satisfy him."[/b][/quote]

Fuckin' owned.
        [/b][/quote]

Yep, TLR bascially said "Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out."
        RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
        You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Here's what I don't get.....If Reggie Sanders had headaches and frequent stiffness, causing him to strike out 400 times, and Larry Walker was so hurt he couldn't get a hit, just what would have been the harm of giving So or J-Rod a chance in the outfield? It's just like sticking with Morris and Tavarez long after they had proved they weren't going to get the job done. When is enough enough?
          "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
          --Albert Einstein

Comment

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Oct 21 2005, 06:49 AM) Quoted post

Here's what I don't get.....If Reggie Sanders had headaches and frequent stiffness, causing him to strike out 400 times, and Larry Walker was so hurt he couldn't get a hit, just what would have been the harm of giving So or J-Rod a chance in the outfield? It's just like sticking with Morris and Tavarez long after they had proved they weren't going to get the job done. When is enough enough?
            [/b][/quote]
            For me, that was the most frustrating thing about this postseason. Guys like Nunez, So, and Rodriguez picked up the slack when guys went down with injuries and helped carry us to the division title and best record in the NL. Rodriguez was so much more patient at the plate as compared to when he first came up. So was nails all year.

I have always been a TLR supporter, but I am having a real hard time justifying his decisions this postseason.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Oct 21 2005, 06:49 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
              the thing i realy did not understand was hitting Walker 4th. He was hurt and hitting like shit. Either bat him in the 6 or 7 hole or move him to the 2 spot (where he had been most of the year) and let Edmonds bat behind Pujols.

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

third baseman Abraham Nunez,
                who led the club with a .385 average in the series.[/b][/quote]

Well that about sums it up.
                Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

I was surprised to see that it was Morris that was thrown under the bus....

I'd heard on KFNS, that he called out a player, but for some reason, I was sure it was Edmonds, Tavarez, or even Mulder.

What a way to go out....I hope he comes back to an NL team, so Cardinals fans can boo him properly.

Comment

You talking about Tony?
                    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Oct 21 2005, 07:29 AM) Quoted post

I'd heard on KFNS, that he called out a player, but for some reason, I was sure it was Edmonds, Tavarez, or even Mulder.

What a way to go out....I hope he comes back to an NL team, so Cardinals fans can boo him properly.
                      [/b][/quote]

Dang, looks like the fumes from Earth City wafted down to 250 Stadium Plaza.
                      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Oct 21 2005, 07:32 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Speaking of Earth City, The rams are making a BIG mistake by starting Jamie Martin.

By not starting Fitzpatrick, The Rams are avoiding a QB controversy if Fitzpatrick does real good in light of Bulger's shoulder is shot.

Comment

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Oct 21 2005, 07:36 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(The Kev @ Oct 21 2005, 07:32 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Speaking of Earth City, The rams are making a BIG mistake by starting Jamie Martin.

By not starting Fitzpatrick, The Rams are avoiding a QB controversy if Fitzpatrick does real good in light of Bulger's shoulder is shot.
                          [/b][/quote]

++

E-fucking-zactly.

The local sportswriters won't know what to do with baseball going on hiatus, the Blues sucking (and we all knew they were going to), and the Rams' insanity levels abading for a bit with Martz recovering.

Bernie might have to come up with some articles on the latest fashions in throwbacks.
                          "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
                          "I didn't know you
                          had any feelings"

Comment

Originally posted by "Ray King"
                            "If they didn't think I was pitching well enough,
                            then tell me. But that didn't keep them from using Morris."
                            Good point [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                            RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                            You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Oct 21 2005, 07:44 AM) Quoted post

Originally posted by "Ray King"
                              "If they didn't think I was pitching well enough,
                              then tell me. But that didn't keep them from using Morris."
                              Good point [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                              [/b][/quote]
                              Damn, I missed that zing. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X