Umpires For WS Announced..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umpires For WS Announced..

I'll be taking $5 bets if anyone wants to say there will no controversy surrounding Angel Hernandez at any point during the series.

CHICAGO (AP) -- Joe West was picked Thursday as the umpire crew chief for the World Series, culminating a comeback year in which he also worked behind the plate in the All-Star game and during the AL division series.

West, who also worked the Series in 1993 and 1997, will be behind the plate for Saturday's opener between the Chicago White Sox and the Houston Astros. West was among the 22 umpires who lost their jobs in September 1999 when a mass resignation backfired. He was rehired in February 2002.

Two other members of the crew have previous Series experience. Derryl Cousins was picked in 1988 and 1999, and Angel Hernandez in 2002. Jeff Nelson, Jerry Layne and Gary Cederstrom will be working their first Series.

Nelson will be at first base Saturday, with Layne at second, Cousin at third, Cederstrom in left and Hernandez in right.[/b][/quote]
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/roll2.gif[/img][img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/roll2.gif[/img][img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/roll2.gif[/img]

Only fitting, with the way the umpiring has gone this post-season, that Angel be there.
    Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
    Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
    There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
    "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
    "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Was West one of the umps for the Yankees/Angels series?

I know Hernandez was our NLDS ump.

Comment

Hell yes Angel is in. He's part of the "show".

I FUCKING HATE HIM.
        --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
        --Suck it cubbies.
        --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

That is unbelievable.

Facetime for Angel.

I hope he screws the Astros royally.
          Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
          "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

guess since all the series in the playoffs had some screwed up call, MLB wants to make sure that something in the WS will be screwed up too
            Sponsor of:
            Brian Elliott
            Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
            5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

This news almost makes me glad the Cardinals didn't make the Series. Not really, but I really don't need added stress waiting for Angel to fuck something up that goes against the Redbirds.

It will be added entertainment watching it this way.
              Of course you do.

Comment

Stress-free watching of the WS for me.

I'd be shitting scrap iron if I was one of our Astros fans when Angel takes to the field.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

QUOTE(steveInebriated @ Oct 20 2005, 08:59 PM) Quoted post

I'd be shitting scrap iron if I was one of our Astros fans when Angel takes to the field.
                  [/b][/quote]

Depends on which team his voodoo doll tells him.

Angel my ass. More like "could it be Satan?"....
                  Make America Great For Once.

Comment

[/b][/quote]
                    You'd be shitting Phil Garner? Get that colon checked pronto...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

How the fuck does Angel get to Ump in the majors let alone the WS????

Comment

QUOTE(Xavier @ Oct 20 2005, 09:27 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                        Looks like you might get Cuzzied
                        Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                        Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                        There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                        "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                        "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

QUOTE(Xavier @ Oct 20 2005, 09:27 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

That's what I keep trying to figure out. Furthermore, why did he ump in the LDS, but then NOT in the LCS, but now again in the WS. If these jobs are awrded based on merit, why is he good enough to be awarded a WS job, but not a LCS job?

I really think that by the time the post season comes around, so many of these guys are burnt out, (specifically referring to the good umps) that they turn down the opportunity to do post season games and guys like Angel, who want the attention, earn the job by default. It's the only explanation.
                          Of course you do.

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 20 2005, 09:13 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                            You'd be shitting Phil Garner? Get that colon checked pronto... [/b][/quote]
                            Maybe just the moustache.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

sweeet! this is'll be one of the most stressfree stretches of games ever *

* this post comes with a sarcasm rating of 1573

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img]
                              life begins in march, ends in october, and the resurrection occurs in a hot stove

\"IPB
                              \"IPB

Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                              Morgan Ensberg & Lance Berkman
                              Dr. Pepper
                              all things Calvin & Hobbes

Comment

Working...
                              X