Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it OK to cheat within the rules

Ok loungers.

Biggio or whomever it was last night misses the tag last night and molina is called out. If Biggio knows that he missed the tag, why not go tell the ump? Obviously this doesn't happen. But then how does Biggio live with himself. He'll always know he won the NLCS, not solely on the team's skill, but on his acting ability to sell the play or just an umps poor call. Is duping the ump part of the game? Don't you want to win on ability, not some gift?

Another example. Superbowl winning field goal and you are a lineman, you get beat so you drag the guy down. He clearly was going to block the field goal so you yanked him down. A hold. But no flag comes in. Forever you know you won the superbowl because you flat out cheated. You didn't get caught but you cheated. But if you get flagged and kick again, and its good, then you "cheated within the rules" to help your team. Is that proper? We all know these things happen all the time. I'm just saying, is it morally acceptable to cheat in order to win and how do you feel joy winning a game in which victory was accomplished by blatent and intentional cheating.

We all know players don't care how they get to the top. Cheat, steal, break fingers (Romanowski), juice. As long as they win the prize they seem happy. No matter how its done. I guess it drops into an ends justifies the means discussion. Anyway....your thoughts board.

It's called "gamesmanship." It happens all the time.

When you are making millions of dollars to play a sport, who cares: winning is everything. You lost your conscious a long time ago.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

QUOTE(steveInebriated @ Oct 20 2005, 03:22 PM) Quoted post

It's called "gamesmanship." It happens all the time.

When you are making millions of dollars to play a sport, who cares: winning is everything. You lost your conscious a long time ago.
      [/b][/quote]

Like selling memberships on the forum?

Whore!

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Ask madyaks.

Comment

QUOTE(hhp @ Oct 20 2005, 02:19 PM) Quoted post

But then how does Biggio live with himself.
          [/b][/quote]

You are kidding, right?
          Official Lounge Sponsor of:
          Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

QUOTE(BlueBrained @ Oct 20 2005, 02:23 PM) Quoted post

But then how does Biggio live with himself.
            [/b][/quote]

You are kidding, right?

[/b][/quote]

I hope so.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

He has no obligation to go make the call, that is the umps call.

And it sure isn't cheating
              Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

It's only cheating if you get caught.

Isn't that the catchphrase used anyway?
                Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

I believe we have a new entry for Most Ridiculous Thread Ever.
                  Official Lounge Sponsor:
                  Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                  The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                  Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

it was Everett, by the way
                    Official Lounge Sponsor of Cardinals Stirrups

Comment

QUOTE(Deacon Blues @ Oct 20 2005, 02:29 PM) Quoted post
                      it was Everett, by the way [/b][/quote]

And he didn't do anything, if anyone did something wrong it was the ump.

The player just did his job.
                      Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Biggio or whomever it was last night misses the tag last night and molina is called out. If Biggio knows that he missed the tag, why not go tell the ump? Obviously this doesn't happen. But then how does Biggio live with himself. He'll always know he won the NLCS, not solely on the team's skill, but on his acting ability to sell the play or just an umps poor call. Is duping the ump part of the game? Don't you want to win on ability, not some gift?

[/b][/quote]

This is funny. I was watching last night with a very casual female fan who brought up the exact same point.
                        I told her the umps would probably take that as being shown up anyway and would not appreciate it.

Comment

Wonder what Everett told him after he asked?
                          "Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo."

Comment

I feel real bad when I drive 50 in a 45 and don't get a ticket.
                            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

I feel bad when I bluff people out of hands playing poker...
                              "Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo."

Comment

Working...
                              X