Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Gunn recaps Game 6

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/...e-world-series/

Good pitching beats good hitting. You’ve heard that phrase a zillion times. And while it’s not really true (pitchers are not the dominant force in determining where and when each offensive event occurs), it can probably be said that great pitching beats good hitting, and that’s pretty much the entire story of this series.[/b][/quote]

Wow. Brillliant distinction.

And he jumps on Mulder for not throwing to third on the Oswalt bunt. Come on.

Moon

Comment

Also lumps the Cards with the Cubs and Indians for not winning a title for a long time. We're getting there might close.

Comment

QUOTE(GreatestShow99 @ Oct 20 2005, 11:46 AM) Quoted post

Also lumps the Cards with the Cubs and Indians for not winning a title for a long time. We're getting there might close.
        [/b][/quote]

Cubs - 1908

Indians - 1948

Cards - 1982

Yeah, that's mighty close.
        RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
        You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

[/b][/quote]

A ton of teams have gone longer than the Cardinals. Silly distinction.

Moon

Comment

Another guy who takes my view.

"Pressure", "cold bats", "heart and desire" -- meaningless.

Old age and TLR's insistence on running the AARP outfield out there -- meaningful.
            The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Oct 20 2005, 11:48 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Cubs - 1908

Cards - 1982

[/b][/quote]

It took the franchise 34 yrs to win their first championship in '26. We're reaching that status very slowly.

Comment

QUOTE(GreatestShow99 @ Oct 20 2005, 11:51 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(JWB @ Oct 20 2005, 11:48 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Cubs - 1908

Cards - 1982

[/b][/quote]

It took the franchise 34 yrs to win their first championship in '26. We're reaching that status very slowly.
                [/b][/quote]

Good Lord...

Comment

I'm a big Walt fan but thought this might have some validity.

If age really accounts for the Cards’ downfall this season, then I think, once again, a chunk of the blame should be directed at GM Walt Jocketty. I just finished a rather lengthy study of Jocketty for the 2006 Hardball Times Annual (order it today!), and one thing that’s astonishingly clear is the extent to which he’s traded away young talent to land older, more established players. By and large these trades have worked well for him, but perhaps only to a point. For older players tend to wear down as the season goes on. And in both ’04 and ’05, there was a palpable sense that when the Cards met their Waterloo, they were just plumb out of gas.
                  [/b][/quote]
                  Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Has the trade for Unit come through yet?

(is this the same dude?)
                    Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Oct 20 2005, 12:12 PM) Quoted post

(is this the same dude?)
                      [/b][/quote]

Different dude.

Comment

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Oct 20 2005, 12:12 PM) Quoted post

(is this the same dude?) [/b][/quote]

Brian Gunn /= Brian Walton

Comment

Thx.

Is this guy premature grey as well?
                          Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Of all the trades Walt has made, pretty much the only one I'd take back is Coco Crisp for Chuck Finley, and even that one was the right call to make at the time, with the Cardinals still trying to win a pennant after Darryl Kile had died and Jason freakin' Simontacchi was in the rotation.

And I know today is Rip Mark Mulder Day--and rightly so, not a great start from Mulder yesterday--but we didn't miss the Series b/c we traded for Mulder. Mulder pitched just as well as Haren did this year (and certainly better than Haren pitched when he did play for the Cardinals), Kiko Calero was more than adequately replaced by Al Reyes, and Daric Barton still isn't playing big-league ball for anybody in 2005.

Oh, and as far as this goes:

It took the franchise 34 yrs to win their first championship in '26[/b][/quote]

that's a fuckin' mystery, b/c 1926 was only 23 years after the first World Series in 1903, last I checked. And if you choose to date from the start of the franchise in 1882, as GS99 did, you have to count the Cardinals' four straight American Association pennants 1885-88, and their World Series (kind of) win over the Chicago White Stockings in 1886.
                            Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

QUOTE(kah @ Oct 20 2005, 12:51 PM) Quoted post
                              Oh, and as far as this goes:

It took the franchise 34 yrs to win their first championship in '26[/b][/quote]

that's a fuckin' mystery, b/c 1926 was only 23 years after the first World Series in 1903, last I checked. And if you choose to date from the start of the franchise in 1882, as GS99 did, you have to count the Cardinals' four straight American Association pennants 1885-88, and their World Series (kind of) win over the Chicago White Stockings in 1886.
                              [/b][/quote]

I blame the Curse of Robison Field.

Comment

Working...
                              X