• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday's starting Arizona QB a secret

Starting QB kept secret by team

Odeen Domingo
    The Arizona Republic
    Oct. 20, 2005 12:00 AM

The Cardinals have a starting quarterback, but they're not naming names.

Well, not until just before Sunday's game against the Tennessee Titans at Sun Devil Stadium.

"We made the decision, but we're not going to make an announcement until it's time to play the ballgame," Cardinals coach Dennis Green said Wednesday. "We're not going to make a big deal about it."

It's either Kurt Warner, who has completed 63.4 percent of his passes and is back from a torn right groin that kept him out for almost three weeks, or Josh McCown, who has started all seven wins in the Green era in Arizona.

The players know the answer, and it was evident they were told not to say anything about it. They poked fun at the situation.

Wide receiver Anquan Boldin, who started his career at Florida State as a quarterback, said he's the starter.

Even left tackle Leonard Davis said he was going to start at quarterback, with fullback Obafemi Ayanbadejo as his backup.

After Wednesday practices, the starting quarterback usually stands on a podium and answers questions from the media. This time, Warner and McCown shared the podium.

Neither would answer questions related to the starter.

McCown was asked how he would feel if he didn't start on Sunday, hypothetically.

"Hypothetically speaking, it would (stink)," he said, laughing.

"I've been there," Warner chimed in. "It (stinks)."

McCown also said in jest: "I feed my children with this job; I don't really like Kurt. I support him because that's the right thing to do."
    Dude. Can. Fly.

Should McCown.

Comment

Working...
    X