Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it time to revise MLB's playoff format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it time to revise MLB's playoff format?

How about each league taking the four teams with the best records? Face it, San Diego has about as much business being in the playoffs as Quin Snyder deserves being mentioned in the same breath as John Wooden.
    Make America Great For Once.

At least fix the order of games in the NLCS. The Wild Card team should not get 3 home games in a row. Use the hockey format: 2-2-1-1-1.

Comment

How about getting rid of that [email protected] wildcard ... retroactively. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

On a more serious note, make it more difficult -- like the NFL-- for the wildcard to win the championship.
      Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

I'd like to see the wild card team get one home game in the divison series and then 2 home games in the LCS and World Series.
        RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
        You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

In many cases the WC team has a bteer record than a couple of division winners.

The Astros, Phillies, and perhaps the Marlins desrved to be in the playoffs way more the the Padres.
          Make America Great For Once.

Comment

My proposal:

Take the 3 division winners and the "Wild Card" team.

Seed them according to regular season records. If the wild card team has a better record then one of the division winners, then they get seeded higher. Do away with the rule that you cannot play a team from your own division in the first round.

For the wild card team, give them 1 home game in the DS, and 2 home games in the LCS. Determine home field advantage based on which league had the better overall interleague record that year.

Comment

QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Oct 20 2005, 07:26 AM) Quoted post

My proposal:

Seed them according to regular season records. If the wild card team has a better record then one of the division winners, then they get seeded higher. Do away with the rule that you cannot play a team from your own division in the first round.

For the wild card team, give them 1 home game in the DS, and 2 home games in the LCS. Determine home field advantage based on which league had the better overall interleague record that year.
              [/b][/quote]
              So, theoretically, you could wind up with the #2 seed having only 1 home game in the DS against the #3 seed. That makes no sense.
              Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
              Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
              There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
              "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
              "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

QUOTE(Tazlaz @ Oct 20 2005, 07:54 AM) Quoted post
                QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Oct 20 2005, 07:26 AM) Quoted post

My proposal:

[/b][/quote]
                So, theoretically, you could wind up with the #2 seed having only 1 home game in the DS against the #3 seed. That makes no sense. [/b][/quote]

Well, I think they shouldn't get the same opportunities as the division winners, even if one division winner has a .500 record. Just throwing ideas out there.

Comment

One home game in the LDS is OK, but once you beat division winner, no other penalty should occur.

It's a ll about revenue and fan participation. It's probably necessary fro ma business perspective.
                  Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

2-1-2 format for the wild card team in the NLDS.......and I like the idea of having 2-2-1-1-1 for the nlcs.

Bottomline: There should never be what we had in the first round vs SD. Way too much time off. It could have allowed Peavey to face us in two of the first four games. That is uncalled for.
                    Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Other than switching the LCS to 2-2-1-1-1 I have not seen anything in this thread (or elsewhere) I would take over the way it is now.

If you take the teams with the 4 best records you are killing the drama leading up to the playoffs. You will guarantee there is only 1 compelling race (the one for that 4th spot) every year. As it is now we usually have two or three compelling races going on in each league down the stretch.

The lack of home games for the wild card seems kind of dumb to me. I think that is too unfair from a revenue standpoint. I also don't think it would necessarily have the desired effect. Houston just took 2 of 3 in our park.

I think the seeding for the WS s/b based on overall records. That way you you give teams something to play for as long as possible. Screw the AS game or the interleague play records.

Forget adding teams. That would further cheapen the 162 and push it further towards the NHL and NBA. Having said this, there is no way they would reduce the # of teams either. It would kill the good races down the stretch we have had the past few years and reduce revenue.

Bottom line. Just don't get so hung up on the WC label. It just so happens these WC teams were in a division with other good teams the past few years. That is the whole point of the WC in the first place.

Comment

Yes by all means lets make sure we have a "compelling race" even if it waters down the playoffs, and lets in a shitty team like SD.

Having a fraud of a team in the playoffs is far worse than knowing who is getting in ahead of time.

IMHO
                        Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Oct 20 2005, 01:41 PM) Quoted post

Yes by all means lets make sure we have a "compelling race" even if it waters down the playoffs, and lets in a shitty team like SD.

Having a fraud of a team in the playoffs is far worse than knowing who is getting in ahead of time.

IMHO
                          [/b][/quote]

Go take a business 101 class.

Comment

The lack of home games for the wild card seems kind of dumb to me. I think that is too unfair from a revenue standpoint. I also don't think it would necessarily have the desired effect. Houston just took 2 of 3 in our park.[/b][/quote]

Playoff revenue gets divided between teams, if not every team in the league.

Comment

QUOTE(Beetlebop70 @ Oct 20 2005, 01:43 PM) Quoted post
                              QUOTE(madyaks @ Oct 20 2005, 01:41 PM) Quoted post

IMHO
                              [/b][/quote]

Go take a business 101 class. [/b][/quote]

Making money off of it, and having playoffs that actually reflect the best teams in the league playing each other have nothing to do with each other. Or shouldn't. Is that what you think this thread is about? How to make more money for the owners, or as baseball fans what would be the best playoff format?
                              Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Working...
                              X