Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazzone to the Orioles?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2194428

BALTIMORE -- Pitching coach Leo Mazzone and the Baltimore Orioles reached agreement on a three-year contract Wednesday night, hours after the Atlanta Braves coach ended discussions with the New York Yankees.

"The deal is finished business," according to a source close to the negotiations, who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity.

Mazzone, considered to be one of the finest pitching coaches in the majors, has been in the Atlanta organization since 1979 and was pitching coach of the Braves since 1990. He will replace Ray Miller, who served as pitching coach of the Orioles since June 26, 2004.

Orioles executive vice president Mike Flanagan declined comment, and Baltimore manager Sam Perlozzo, a longtime friend of Mazzone, did not return a phone call from The Associated Press.

Mazzone, 57, and Perlozzo grew up together in Cumberland, Md. The competed on different teams in American Legion ball, then became best friends. Perlozzo was the best man at Mazzone's wedding.

Earlier Wednesday, the Yankees ended talks with Mazzone after their three-day window to negotiate with him expired.

"Both sides agreed to end their discussions without resolution," Yankees spokesman Jason Zillo said.

Mazzone is credited with helping develop Greg Maddux, John Smoltz and Tom Glavine. From 1992 through this season, the Braves ranked first or second in the NL in ERA in every year but two.

Perlozzo was pleased with Miller's performance as pitching coach, but has said he wanted to work with Mazzone. Miller, who had surgery last week to repair an aortic aneurysm, gave Perlozzo permission to talk to another pitching coach before his surgery.[/b][/quote]
    life begins in march, ends in october, and the resurrection occurs in a hot stove

\"IPB
    \"IPB

Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    Morgan Ensberg & Lance Berkman
    Dr. Pepper
    all things Calvin & Hobbes

Hmm, it's interesting he's going to Baltimore. He'll definitely have his work cut out for him.

I can't really blame him for not wanting to deal with Steinbrenner.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Why would Atlanta let him go?

What are they thinking? Unless they feel they can replace him and keep his philosphy?

Interesting turn of events.

Comment

Garsh
        Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

If Mazzone can harness it, he's got one hell of a talent to work with in Daniel Cabrera.
          I like cheese.

Comment

QUOTE(triggercut1 @ Oct 20 2005, 01:17 AM) Quoted post

If Mazzone can harness it, he's got one hell of a talent to work with in Daniel Cabrera.
            [/b][/quote]
            Most definitely....the potential in that arm is limitless....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Oct 20 2005, 01:01 AM) Quoted post

Garsh
              [/b][/quote]

So, Astros fans are only welcome here if they lose like they're supposed to?

Take a chill pill Jill.
              I like cheese.

Comment

QUOTE(triggercut1 @ Oct 20 2005, 01:18 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Oct 20 2005, 01:01 AM) Quoted post

Garsh
                [/b][/quote]

So, Astros fans are only welcome here if they lose like they're supposed to?

Take a chill pill Jill.
                [/b][/quote]
                [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
                Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Cabrera...I remember reading a post by Trigger saying the best pitching performance of the season, IHO, was Cabrera's. I watched the next 7 O's games he pitched. He has some serious talent but no control. If Mazzone can fix that..this kid could be one of the best.

Comment

QUOTE(Indu WangZi @ Oct 20 2005, 01:21 AM) Quoted post

Cabrera...I remember reading a post by Trigger saying the best pitching performance of the season, IHO, was Cabrera's. I watched the next 7 O's games he pitched. He has some serious talent but no control. If Mazzone can fix that..this kid could be one of the best.
                    [/b][/quote]

Yeah, that one game he was hitting 99 on the gun, and throwing this wicked curve that had impossible bite to it. 8 IP, 11 k's 2 walks. 3 dribbling singles for the Twins.

He actually seems to have more trouble spotting his fastball than the curve. There's a ton of movement on it.

If Mazzone shows up and two weeks out of spring training Daniel Cabrera gets traded...well, you know Leo didn't like what he saw.
                    I like cheese.

Comment

QUOTE(triggercut1 @ Oct 20 2005, 12:43 AM) Quoted post
                      QUOTE(Indu WangZi @ Oct 20 2005, 01:21 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Yeah, that one game he was hitting 99 on the gun, and throwing this wicked curve that had impossible bite to it. 8 IP, 11 k's 2 walks. 3 dribbling singles for the Twins.

He actually seems to have more trouble spotting his fastball than the curve. There's a ton of movement on it.

If Mazzone shows up and two weeks out of spring training Daniel Cabrera gets traded...well, you know Leo didn't like what he saw. [/b][/quote]

and...I'd be happy to take him. But, you're right, although based on what I saw this season..I think Mazzone will be thrilled at the chance to work with this kid.

Hope the O's get a better staff next season..this kid projects as a #1 and they have quite a number of solid pitching prospects.

Comment

FUCK FUCK and FUCK

But I like Leo, I hope he can go there and work wonders.

He deserves to be the first coach in the HOF.

But I wish like hell he was staying, I hope he was grooming someone.
                        Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Mazzone is credited with helping develop Greg Maddux, John Smoltz and Tom Glavine.[/b][/quote]

Umm, didn't he have a Cy Young in his pocket before he ever got to Atlanta?
                          Official Lounge Sponsor:
                          Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                          The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                          Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

QUOTE(Lippa @ Oct 20 2005, 06:05 AM) Quoted post

Mazzone is credited with helping develop Greg Maddux, John Smoltz and Tom Glavine.[/b][/quote]

Umm, didn't he have a Cy Young in his pocket before he ever got to Atlanta?
                            [/b][/quote]

1992 Cubbies!

Scott van Pelt actually made me laugh--when this story aired on SportsCenter he started rocking back and forth in Mazzone's weird OCD manner while talking about it.
                            Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Cabrera was one of the top groundball and strikeout pitchers in the AL last year. He was poised for a huge breakout year next year without Mazzone, now there's no telling how good he can be. He'll need a healthy Brian Roberts though.

Comment

Working...
                              X