Cardinals heart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinals heart?

At the beginning of the season, much of the talk over the departure of Woody, Renteria, and Matheny was based on the idea that they were the "heart" of the team.

At the time I didn't buy it.

As the season went on, I didn't get the same feeling out of this team that I had last year.
    Last season, it didn't matter how far behind the Cards were in a game....I always knew they would win. They had that killer instinct to come from behind. They never got down on themselves.

This season, I never had that feeling....but they still went out and won 100 games, so I ignored it.

The fact that they were a sub-.500 team in 1 run games should have been a huge red flag....but I saw the ability on the field and I believed they could win.

As it turns out, Bill Simmons was right.

In the commotion after the Pujols HR, and the elation at the pain of the Astros fans, I completely breezed over the Cardinals' dugout just didn't explode like I SHOULD have expected. How many Cardinals were waiting on the field when Pujols crossed the plate? 4. Eck, Edmonds, and Sanders. Everyone else was in the dugout.

(with some exceptions) they just looked flat all series. They looked like they didn't care.

Maybe the "lost heart" thoughts at the beginning of the season had some merit.

What are your thoughts?
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

I blame Mulder. He had no heart for this game.

Comment

I think we ran into some great pitching.

Most did look flat, but I think you lay that at the feet of the manager.

Comment

PLUS FUCKING PLUS...

The Cardinals looked like they were collecting a paycheck and riding Pujols and Carps coattails...

No Fucking heart whatsoever. You can't teach balls.
        "Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo."

Comment

Its certainly intersting how a team w/ this much talent for this many years in the playoffs, regardless of how much talent or "heart" can just lay the fuck down in a series.

Maybe you're on to something.
          When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

We got all the heart we need in June and July baby!!!!!!!!
            Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Oct 19 2005, 10:35 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

So, Tony did a nice job against SD, but against Houston he forgot how to fire the boys up?

I wonder if he fell and hit his head over those three days off.
              When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Gotta add Suppan to the list too. He's got the third biggest set of balls on this team.

Comment

QUOTE(Fishbone @ Oct 19 2005, 08:38 PM) Quoted post
                  Gotta add Suppan to the list too. He's got the third biggest set of balls on this team. [/b][/quote]

++ makes it hard to run
                  Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

It is so easy to get hits and battle when things are going well...it is what you do when faced with adversity that counts...

All you have to look at is how friendly they were to the Astros the entire series...Hell we even applied the lube for them to stick it straight up our ass...

...Where the hell is my drink?

Comment

QUOTE(WinstonSmith @ Oct 19 2005, 10:37 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

So, Tony did a nice job against SD, but against Houston he forgot how to fire the boys up?

I wonder if he fell and hit his head over those three days off. [/b][/quote]

Were we ever behind in the Padres series? I cannot remember. If so, then your point has some merit. If not, they are different animals.

Comment

I don't think this is about heart at all. I think this team has character.

They just ran into great pitching and couldn't overcome it. When you're not hitting at all, it looks like you don't have heart. But actually, you're just not hitting.

Comment

Great the old bullshit, we are not hitting excuse...hitting is nothing but heart and determination...

We allowed their pitchers to dictate our AB's....

Comment

QUOTE(CRC11 @ Oct 19 2005, 10:40 PM) Quoted post
                            It is so easy to get hits and battle when things are going well...it is what you do when faced with adversity that counts...[/b][/quote]

Good point. During the series the Astros always looked like the more relaxed and fun team. We looked professional. It's still a game at heart.

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Oct 19 2005, 10:40 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(WinstonSmith @ Oct 19 2005, 10:37 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I wonder if he fell and hit his head over those three days off. [/b][/quote]

Were we ever behind in the Padres series? I cannot remember. If so, then your point has some merit. If not, they are different animals.
                              [/b][/quote]

I don't think we were, but I don't see how that makes my point any less valid.

The team could hit like crazy and get on base against SD (admittedly a weaker team in all aspects) but coudln't even put together a good series of at-bat's against Houston. I don't buy that as LaRussa's issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X