N.O. wants the "Cleveland Plan"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N.O. wants the "Cleveland Plan"

NEW ORLEANS -- Mayor Ray Nagin disparaged Saints owner Tom Benson on Wednesday for working with San Antonio officials to permanently keep the NFL team in Texas.

The mayor's comments came after the departures of two top Saints executives who were supportive of keeping the Saints in Louisiana. Nagin is concerned that San Antonio officials said publicly that Benson is working with them to relocate the franchise to Texas.

"We want our Saints, we may not want the owner back," Nagin said while attending the reopening of Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter.

"I'm ready to go to the NFL and to [commissioner Paul] Tagliabue and say, 'Give us the Cleveland plan,'" Nagin added, referring to the league awarding Cleveland an expansion team almost immediately after the Browns moved to Baltimore after the 1995 season. "Whatever the Saints want to do, you let them leave, but they can't take our logo, they can't take our name, and you give us a promise to give us a franchise when this city's back."

A Saints spokesman did not return a telephone call and e-mail seeking a response to Nagin's comments.

"For them to be openly talking to other cities about moving is disrespectful to the citizens of New Orleans, disrespectful to the Saints fans who have hung in with this franchise through 30-something years under very trying times," Nagin said.

The Saints joined the NFL in 1967. In 1986, Benson was part of an ownership group that bought the team to ensure it would stay in Louisiana. Benson eventually bought out other members of the group.

During Benson's ownership, the state of Louisiana has built him a new headquarters, including spending $6.75 million for an indoor practice field in 2003. The state also has paid for repeated improvements to the Louisiana Superdome at Benson's insistence during the past two decades.

On Monday night, Benson fired Arnold Fielkow, the team's top business executive since 2000. Fielkow had overseen a 36-game sellout streak at the Superdome and negotiated an unprecedented stadium lease that called for the state to pay Benson $187 million in direct subsidies over 10 years.

But Fielkow has said he believed the Saints needed to be leaders in New Orleans' rebuilding process after Hurricane Katrina and repeatedly praised Saints fans in Louisiana as the best and most loyal in the NFL. Fielkow has since said that stance led to his dismissal.

On Tuesday, Conrad Kowal, senior director of marketing and business development, also resigned.

Nagin called Benson's recent actions a "doggone shame."
    Official Lounge Sponsor:
    The New Orleans Saints, Blue Moon Belgian Ale, Peter Gammons, and Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

"For them to be openly talking to other cities about moving is disrespectful to the citizens of New Orleans, disrespectful to the Saints fans who have hung in with this franchise through 30-something years under very trying times," Nagin said.

Amen.

Doesn't good manners dictate an appropriate waiting period on this? Not that Benson gives a damn about manners or class...
    The Dude abides.

Comment

I hear the St. Louis Stallions might need a new home. They could get that team to relocate, I'm sure.

First they'd have to go get all that old merch from the poor peeps in the Sudan.
      'Ah, to be a bird. To fly the skies, sing your song, and best of all, occassionally pluck someone's eyes out.' - George Carlin.

Comment

It just goes to show that the fans really have nothing to do with it.

Support the team all you want, sell out year after year even though you have to wear a bag on your head b/c the team is so bad, sell out even though the Aint have never won a playoff game, devote the entire sports year to one thing, the Saints, and well, you know, if you can get $50 more in San Antonio, that's just too damn bad for you Louisiana.
        From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

with nowhere to play in New Orleans in the future the owner has to look towards next year and beyond for somewhere to play. It is not like that a stadium will be built for them to play in next September will it?
          Sponsor of:
          Brian Elliott
          Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
          5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

The Cleveland Plan?

There's an official name for that?

Seriously, nothing like Nagin bad-mouthing the owner and expecting the team to stick around.

Comment

QUOTE(dxchance @ Oct 19 2005, 04:46 PM) Quoted post
              I hear the St. Louis Stallions might need a new home. They could get that team to relocate, I'm sure.

First they'd have to go get all that old merch from the poor peeps in the Sudan.

[/b][/quote]

John Auble. Good memories.

Comment

I thought the plan would be the other Cleveland plan, the dick-in-the-blender one.
                Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

QUOTE(ppg shg @ Oct 19 2005, 05:04 PM) Quoted post

Support the team all you want, sell out year after year even though you have to wear a bag on your head b/c the team is so bad, sell out even though the Aint have never won a playoff game, devote the entire sports year to one thing, the Saints, and well, you know, if you can get $50 more in San Antonio, that's just too damn bad for you Louisiana.
                  [/b][/quote]

ppg,

I'd like to hear your input as a resident on what some St. Louis media people were saying about that situation. They said the New Orleans has NO Fourtune 500 companies based in that area, therefore local sponsorship is virtually non exisitent. With the lack of F500 backing, Mr. Benson cannot generate the local cash flow that the rest of the owners can.

Is this really true?

What is your take?

Thanks.
                  Make America Great For Once.

Comment

What a douche, especially after receiving subsidies from the City and State.

Fuck that guy.
                    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Oct 19 2005, 05:57 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(ppg shg @ Oct 19 2005, 05:04 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

ppg,

I'd like to hear your input as a resident on what some St. Louis media people were saying about that situation. They said the New Orleans has NO Fourtune 500 companies based in that area, therefore local sponsorship is virtually non exisitent. With the lack of F500 backing, Mr. Benson cannot generate the local cash flow that the rest of the owners can.

Is this really true?

What is your take?

Thanks.
                      [/b][/quote]

I think that's a load of horsecrap. Are Green Bay, Carolina or Jacksonville any bigger markets? Is San Antonio going to be such a bigger market? They can't even sell the stadium out, without giving away 15,000 tickets a game.

The Saints get plenty of local money, and they get state money to boot. There's not a problem selling out the corporate suites; there's a problem because Benson wants more corporate suites. Whether he should get those extra suites or not is a separate issue, but it shouldn't be confused with the ability of the city, state, and region to financially support the team.

The Saints are a regional team, in a region that is crazy for football. Until recently, despite their terrible play, the Saints were generally in the top 12 in terms of revenue. As other teams got new stadiums and sweetheart deals, the Saints have dropped into the 20s. So this is a matter of, yeah I'm making a lot of money, but I want to make a lot more money, and it's just a matter of trying to gouge the public for a new stadium.

Now if the city were smart it would say good riddance and never concern itself again with having a local NFL team. However, if it's going to be a Cleveland Browns deal, then New Orleans might as well put the money up now, b/c it will cost a lot more later to get another team.

Is it worth a couple hundred million to get rid of the worthless sack of human excrement Tom Benson Bidwell? It's worth something, but probably not that much.
                      From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

Working...
                      X