Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pendleton Cancels Dodger's Interview

ESPN Story

LOS ANGELES -- Atlanta Braves hitting coach Terry Pendleton canceled his interview for the Los Angeles Dodgers managerial job, citing family reasons.

Pendleton had been scheduled to meet with Dodgers officials Wednesday.

"He has family there in Georgia, and after really thinking about it, he realized he couldn't be this far away from home," Dodgers general manager Paul DePodesta said Tuesday.

The Dodgers have been without a manager since Oct. 3, when the team and Jim Tracy cut ties. Tracy was hired as manager of the Pittsburgh Pirates last week.

The Dodgers had hoped to have a manager in place before the World Series, which begins Saturday in Chicago, but that appears unlikely now. Teams are discouraged from making major announcements during the World Series, meaning a new hire probably won't be introduced before the end of the month.

The Dodgers have interviewed five candidates to succeed Tracy: Terry Collins, the team's director of player development who previously managed the Houston Astros and Los Angeles Angels; Alan Trammell, fired as manager of the Detroit Tigers on Oct. 3; Jerry Royster, manager of the Dodgers' Triple-A team in Las Vegas; Torey Lovullo, a manager in the Cleveland Indians' system; and Ron Wotus, bench coach for the San Francisco Giants.

No future interviews had been scheduled as of Tuesday, but the team is expected to speak with former Dodgers Kirk Gibson, Orel Hershiser and Bobby Valentine about the managerial job or other positions in the organization. Others could be interviewed as well.

Tracy managed the Dodgers to winning records in four of his five seasons. They won 93 games, the NL West championship and their first postseason game since 1988 last year, but slipped to 71-91 this season.[/b][/quote]
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

I can't picture fatass as a manager. I call him that because I called him that to his face in 1987 for being a prick when I met him.
    Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

I guess he's waiting for Bobby Cox to retire.

Comment

He probably didn't want to work for Paul DePodesta.
        RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
        You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Oct 19 2005, 12:15 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Probably didn't want to manage JD Drew. Had his fill of him his one year in Atlanta.

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Oct 19 2005, 12:16 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Probably didn't want to manage JD Drew. Had his fill of him his one year in Atlanta.
            [/b][/quote]

Good point.
            RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
            You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(Guppy @ Oct 19 2005, 01:09 PM) Quoted post

I can't picture fatass as a manager. I call him that because I called him that to his face in 1987 for being a prick when I met him.
              [/b][/quote]

What did he do?

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Oct 19 2005, 12:16 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                Or manage Milton Bradley, Derek Lowe, and the rest of the head cases they have out there.

My how the mighty have fallen.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

QUOTE(hansolo @ Oct 19 2005, 12:49 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

What did he do?
                  [/b][/quote]
                  The Cards Caravan came to Columbia before spring training and there were about 5 players signing stuff at the Columbia Mall. I had 2 of his cards and one of the rest of the guys that were there. TP was the first guy to sign stuff and I put the two cards down. He said he was only supposed to sign one and I said I was sorry and I did not know that. He said it in a rather pissy voice and signed both anyways. He then threw the cards at me and they went off the table. I picked them up and said I did not want them and he could keep them himself and I went on to the rest of the players. When I got done he was at the end of the table and said he wanted me to have the cards back. I said back to him "I'll take them back but I am not going to be a fan of your fatass anymore" and walked away. The look on his face was priceless. My parents did not like the fact that I called him that [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Sponsor of:
                  Brian Elliott

Comment

QUOTE(Guppy @ Oct 19 2005, 12:09 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Glad I'm not the only one who had this opinion of Pendleton....

Most of the time he came across as surly at best...never forget, when I was a kid in the early 80's there were quite a few players signing autographs between BP and the game, (Ozzie, Lonnie, etc...), when anybody, including myself asked Pendleton to sign he looked at the us like we were idiots and walked away and never stopped to sign...

I know, you should not base your entire opinion of a person on one experience, but it did have a lasting impression as a kid.

On another note...did they model all the players on Nintendo RBI baseball after him or Kirby Puckett????
                    "Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo."

Comment

QUOTE(Guppy @ Oct 19 2005, 02:01 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

What did he do?
                      [/b][/quote]
                      The Cards Caravan came to Columbia before spring training and there were about 5 players signing stuff at the Columbia Mall. I had 2 of his cards and one of the rest of the guys that were there. TP was the first guy to sign stuff and I put the two cards down. He said he was only supposed to sign one and I said I was sorry and I did not know that. He said it in a rather pissy voice and signed both anyways. He then threw the cards at me and they went off the table. I picked them up and said I did not want them and he could keep them himself and I went on to the rest of the players. When I got done he was at the end of the table and said he wanted me to have the cards back. I said back to him "I'll take them back but I am not going to be a fan of your fatass anymore" and walked away. The look on his face was priceless. My parents did not like the fact that I called him that [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                      [/b][/quote]

Awesome.

Fuck the fatass.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

QUOTE(CRC11 @ Oct 19 2005, 01:01 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Most of the time he came across as surly at best...never forget, when I was a kid in the early 80's there were quite a few players signing autographs between BP and the game, (Ozzie, Lonnie, etc...), when anybody, including myself asked Pendleton to sign he looked at the us like we were idiots and walked away and never stopped to sign...

I know, you should not base your entire opinion of a person on one experience, but it did have a lasting impression as a kid.

On another note...did they model all the players on Nintendo RBI baseball after him or Kirby Puckett????
                        [/b][/quote]

lol! RBI Baseball rules [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] bunt with coleman, smith, and herr, then hammer with clark, bunt with mcgee. coleman and smith a lot of times get those bunts that roll slowly and the computer for some reason can't catch up to it, and it goes for a bunt HR. love that game, i do [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
                        Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

QUOTE(bigJOE @ Oct 19 2005, 01:57 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(CRC11 @ Oct 19 2005, 01:01 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

lol! RBI Baseball rules [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] bunt with coleman, smith, and herr, then hammer with clark, bunt with mcgee. coleman and smith a lot of times get those bunts that roll slowly and the computer for some reason can't catch up to it, and it goes for a bunt HR. love that game, i do [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
                          [/b][/quote]

I actually have the exact game on my computer...as a matter of fact, I think I will square off with the Redbirds v. the Astros right about now...

I can't even remember who all the Astro's are on that game...Nolan, Dorn, Ashby...

The Cards are just crazy fast...the ol' swinging bunt works almost all the time with half the line-up and count on Jack to blast at least a couple a game...
                          "Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo."

Comment

QUOTE(Guppy @ Oct 19 2005, 01:01 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

What did he do?
                            [/b][/quote]
                            [/b][/quote]

This is exactly why I never care to meet pro athletes (espically those on my favorite teams). I'm not looking for friend, I'm looking for someone that can murder a ball the way Albert did.

That is a good story though. I have no idea how old you are. I am picturing a 12 year old kid saying that though since you mentioned your parents.

Comment

QUOTE(Beetlebop70 @ Oct 19 2005, 02:31 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Guppy @ Oct 19 2005, 01:01 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

What did he do?
                              [/b][/quote]
                              [/b][/quote]

This is exactly why I never care to meet pro athletes (espically those on my favorite teams). I'm not looking for friend, I'm looking for someone that can murder a ball the way Albert did.

That is a good story though. I have no idea how old you are. I am picturing a 12 year old kid saying that though since you mentioned your parents.
                              [/b][/quote]

I went to meet the Cards players every year that caravan rolled through town and TP was the only jerk out of everyone. One year Lou Brock came and he was such a nice fella. I had on a shirt that said "Bear Rock Cafe" for Southwest MO State and he said to me "There is a Hard Rock in Springfield?". I had to let him know and he said "don't I feel like a complete idiot now". We had a good laugh at it and I told him about the one time I saw him play. He came in and pinch hit only to fly out to left center field. He said he was sorry for that being the only memory I had of him playing.

I was 14 at the time I called TP a fatass.
                              Sponsor of:
                              Brian Elliott

Comment

Working...
                              X