Did Pujols set Lidge up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Pujols set Lidge up?

Heard Richard Justice (who I think does a great job) on ESPN News yesterday....

He suggested the possibility that Pujols may have set Lidge up by flailing miserably at the first slider, to ensure he got another slider.

Would love to know if that happened, and I can see it as a possibility.

Thoughts?

By the way, does "Lights Out" Lidge refer to the fact that Pujols hit his pitch far enough to knock the lights out?

Wouldn't be a surprise. Albert's a smart player.
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

I thought Edmonds was the only one who set up pitchers. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Feb. 08, 2005
        Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
        Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
        Originally posted by Airshark
        NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

I seriously almost posted the same thing. I think there's a chance Albert swung and missed on purpose. He had to know the 'Stros would've rathered faced Reggie instead of him. So why not look bad on the first pitch??

But I also understand that the 'Stros didn't want to put the tying run on 2nd (by walking Pujols). Either way Lidge pitched to the best hitter in baseball. And we all know what the result was. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
          --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
          --Suck it cubbies.
          --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

honestly i think he swung and missed because all series he has been getting nothing but first pitch fast balls when he has faced the bullpen for the AssTros. He figured he would swing through the strike zone and if he got a fastball great, if not no biggie.

They did it to him on Saturday and Sunday when he came up.

But thats just my opinion, he could have done it on purpose he is cerebreal player like that.

Comment

i could be wrong, but i don't think he set him up. they always say how albert is the best at making adjustments quickly. i think he just adjusted and was ready for the next one.
              Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

QUOTE(Nsane2Bme @ Oct 19 2005, 07:26 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The first pitch was a very good slider that dove into the dirt. The second one hung up there like a batting practice fastball. AP did not set up Lidge.
                  Official Lounge Sponsor of the Fab Four

2009 MVC Freshmen of the Year & their Capt.

Comment

QUOTE(C_Rock @ Oct 19 2005, 10:31 AM) Quoted post

The first pitch was a very good slider that dove into the dirt. The second one hung up there like a batting practice fastball. AP did not set up Lidge.
                    [/b][/quote]

But if Pujols lays off the good slider in the dirt for ball one, does Lidge avoid throwing him anything close after that? Does Pujols swinging and missing make Lidge think, "I can get this guy, and end it right here?"

I don't know, just throwing it out there.

Comment

QUOTE(kconn @ Oct 19 2005, 09:38 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(C_Rock @ Oct 19 2005, 10:31 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

But if Pujols lays off the good slider in the dirt for ball one, does Lidge avoid throwing him anything close after that? Does Pujols swinging and missing make Lidge think, "I can get this guy, and end it right here?"

I don't know, just throwing it out there.
                      [/b][/quote]

That was my thought as well. I just thought after Garner went to the mound prior to the AB, they probably discussed not giving in to Pujols if they fell behind in the count - sort of the old unintentional/intentional. Once they got ahead, I think they decided to be aggressive with him. Not sure that the first swing was necessarily an actual "setup" by Pujols, but I think it definitely affected how they approached the rest of the AB to Pujols.

Comment

I do think he tried to get strikes, so they would continue to pitch to him. If he lays off the first two pitches, then the Astros would surely walk him intentionally or give him absolutely nothing to hit. If he's got a strike or two, then they may be willing to nibble around the plate looking for a strikeout. Given the recent lack of timely hitting around him, I have no problem with that strategy.

Comment

Chances are slim to none.
                          Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                          Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

I'd love to know how often hitters do this. I'm sure it's done sometimes, by some guys, but don't have a clue as to who or how often.

Comment

Obviously, Pujols would never admit this. But if he did--wow, talk about balls. To give away a strike like that to trick Brad Lidge, maybe the best strikeout pitcher alive? Big brass ones.
                              Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X